Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Just got my iPhone 4S!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got my iPhone 4S!!!! - Page 8

post #71 of 78
picked mine up on friday at 8 am, heck of an improvement from my envy touch.
First Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus Rampage III Gene 2x MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frzor II 3x2 GB 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Caviar Black 120 Gb Corsair Force Series GT 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium 2x HP 2159m 1x HP 2210m 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 InWin Dragon Slayer Steelseries Xai Steelseries Diablo III Qck 
Audio
Pioneer VSX-1021-K + Klipsch WB-14 Icon Espresso 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus Rampage III Gene 2x MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frzor II 3x2 GB 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Caviar Black 120 Gb Corsair Force Series GT 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium 2x HP 2159m 1x HP 2210m 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 InWin Dragon Slayer Steelseries Xai Steelseries Diablo III Qck 
Audio
Pioneer VSX-1021-K + Klipsch WB-14 Icon Espresso 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtL1776 View Post
You come up with a lot of excuses for it. Its voice commands, it happens. You are going along the typical Apple fanboy meme of its Apple, its gonna be perfected!
I've come up with no excuses -- Siri is BETA software. It's going to learn over time, and it's going to be improved by Apple as well.
Quote:
The biggest mistake of that video is that he uses Google Voice commands, even though the Galaxy S2 has its custom version of Vlingo, which does add reminders.
They also failed to demonstrate what Siri is capable of... and they also didn't really test using Speech to Text with a longer message. It's not hard to figure out a short message but what about a fifteen or twenty second message, that will test the accuracy of both.
Quote:
You also are saying there is are keywords. How about is a keyword. I bet if you say "and Australia" it won't work, but it may because they could have it programmed.
When I say there's no keyword, I mean it doesn't have one or two limited keywords to look for. There's no specific keyword, I should say. It really doesn't matter how you say it.

Does the SG2 have "specific commands/keywords" that you have to say in order to have it work? What Siri operates on is understanding what you mean. For example, I noticed in part one of the video 2010rig posted, the guy said Text: Craig, Message: such and such, whereas will the SG2 understand: "Can you please text Craig and tell him I'll be running fifteen minutes late"? Or how about "Text craig, I'm running late", or "Send a text to craig that I'll be running late"? (Just a few examples, my point being once again that it doesn't matter how you ask it.)

You can't forget what to say to Siri and you don't need to think about what commands you need to use because you only have to talk to it naturally. You don't have to say it in a specific order, you don't need specific keywords or commands, as long as what you say makes sense Siri should be able to understand you. That's the point of Siri.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
I've come up with no excuses -- Siri is BETA software. It's going to learn over time, and it's going to be improved by Apple as well.

They also failed to demonstrate what Siri is capable of... and they also didn't really test using Speech to Text with a longer message. It's not hard to figure out a short message but what about a fifteen or twenty second message, that will test the accuracy of both.

When I say there's no keyword, I mean it doesn't have one or two limited keywords to look for. There's no specific keyword, I should say. It really doesn't matter how you say it.

Does the SG2 have "specific commands/keywords" that you have to say in order to have it work? What Siri operates on is understanding what you mean. For example, I noticed in part one of the video 2010rig posted, the guy said Text: Craig, Message: such and such, whereas will the SG2 understand: "Can you please text Craig and tell him I'll be running fifteen minutes late"? Or how about "Text craig, I'm running late", or "Send a text to craig that I'll be running late"? (Just a few examples, my point being once again that it doesn't matter how you ask it.)

You can't forget what to say to Siri and you don't need to think about what commands you need to use because you only have to talk to it naturally. You don't have to say it in a specific order, you don't need specific keywords or commands, as long as what you say makes sense Siri should be able to understand you. That's the point of Siri.
You point to perceived problem with SGS2, but what if you are correct and there is no keywords and it understands tell him as message, when you really want the message to be Tell him I'll be running fifteen minutes late?

Also, you don't have to do do the whole 'message' part.


I'm just saying, all I am seeing is that Apple added polish that may not actually be polish imo. You complained about him saying message, but how is it that Siri is great because you can say how do I get to [location], vs navigate to [location], its shorter like you have already shown a preference to. Also its pretty obvious they do use keywords, because if you look at the readout it gives, the guy on one I seen says "Whats the bloody time" and it underlined time.

I do however like the whats the weather like in etc and then the how about. Its a step forward now as far as its utility, I do not know.
post #74 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtL1776 View Post
You point to perceived problem with SGS2, but what if you are correct and there is no keywords and it understands tell him as message, when you really want the message to be Tell him I'll be running fifteen minutes late?

Also, you don't have to do do the whole 'message' part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z8FyudLVDM

I'm just saying, all I am seeing is that Apple added polish that may not actually be polish imo. You complained about him saying message, but how is it that Siri is great because you can say how do I get to [location], vs navigate to [location], its shorter like you have already shown a preference to. Also its pretty obvious they do use keywords, because if you look at the readout it gives, the guy on one I seen says "Whats the bloody time" and it underlined time.

I do however like the whats the weather like in etc and then the how about. Its a step forward now as far as its utility, I do not know.
It's not that you can say "How do I get to <location>" that makes Siri great, rather that it doesn't matter how you say it. It's much easier to use an AI where you literally just have to ask it what you want how you would normally than it is to use an AI that has specific commands that you need to remember.

It obviously processes what you write otherwise it wouldn't know what you're saying, but that's not what I mean when I say it doesn't require "keywords" or "commands". I mean it doesn't really matter what how you say it, unlike some devices where specific phrases, commands, or keywords are searched for rather than it trying to break down what you're actually said and make sense of it.

I have found Siri can't return multiple requests at once. For example, I've said something along the lines of "Will there be rain or thunderstorms tomorrow?" and it says it can't return multiple facts at once. It would be good if they could change that at some point.

How does Google's Voice Recognition go with natural speaking and longer queries than a few seconds? Siri does quite well for me.

I'll tell you though, don't speak other languages at Siri. Actually, do, because it's ridiculously funny.

EDIT: Oh, and I suspect the blue line under words to mean it isn't entirely sure that's what you said. You can tap that blue line straight away and the keyboard comes up so you can edit it. (You lose that option as soon as you give it another query though.)
Edited by steelbom - 10/16/11 at 2:05am
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 78
siri "connect me to ocn"
post #76 of 78
Siri????
Pride and Joy
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 2600K @ 4.7Ghz (HT On) w 1.33v Asus P67 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 580 @930 core with 1.1v 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex3 MAX IOPS 120GB + Samsung 1TB F3 RAID 0 LG 10X Blu ray drive Corsair H80 + 2 GT AP15s Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung T260 26" 1920x1200 Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 mechanical Corsair AX850 GOLD CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G5 v1 Mionix Propus 380 Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD + Logitech Z5500 Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch 
OtherOtherOther
Microsoft Lifecam Studio Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX50 digital camera Adesso ARC-1100 Remote Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Pride and Joy
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 2600K @ 4.7Ghz (HT On) w 1.33v Asus P67 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 580 @930 core with 1.1v 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex3 MAX IOPS 120GB + Samsung 1TB F3 RAID 0 LG 10X Blu ray drive Corsair H80 + 2 GT AP15s Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung T260 26" 1920x1200 Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 mechanical Corsair AX850 GOLD CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G5 v1 Mionix Propus 380 Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD + Logitech Z5500 Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch 
OtherOtherOther
Microsoft Lifecam Studio Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX50 digital camera Adesso ARC-1100 Remote Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRuPt View Post
picked mine up on friday at 8 am, heck of an improvement from my envy touch.
Hah! That's the phone I currently own. The send/end button bar cracked off last week so definitely need a replacement. Going from that to a capacitive touchscreen is going to be hella nice.
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
I can barely tell the difference between the 4S and the 4. They both feel quick and responsive. If someone handed me one of each phone I'd have to open and use the camera, or check of Siri existed, to know which was the 4S. Just my opinion having used both, that it's not worth using an upgrade on the 4S if you have the 4, I would save it for the 5.
The camera is Quite the improvement on the already stellar ip4 camera. Faster start, shot to shot times. and better quality, white balance and really clean files.

Double clicking home button (the only usual delay on a ip4, for me) is instant on 4s.

And Siri.

It's not horrible to use an ip4, but there's no question the 4s has got some oomph in the upgrade.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › Just got my iPhone 4S!!!!