Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CN] Green Sidewalk Makes Electricity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CN] Green Sidewalk Makes Electricity. - Page 8

post #71 of 84
"20 tiles to harvest HALF of the mall's outdoor lighting"

I don't believe that. If that's accurate, then it's extremely impressive.

Give kids a reason to stamp on them to double their output.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitty View Post
Even when it was a sarcastic complaint... but do you even know how potential/kinetic energy even works?
I'm an engineer so I'm going to go with ... Yes.

You are thinking perhaps that the kinetic energy from your foot step is converted to potential (spring) energy in the tile, which is then released as you step off. Even if this were true then it would still make walking harder as we are not used to that; it would be like trying to walk on a very stiff trampoline.

However this is not the case. True some of the kinetic energy is absorbed as spring potential as the tile will have to pop up again, but the majority of the kinetic energy will be transferred to electricity and therefore will not be available to propel your next step.

Also you will be dropping by 5mm with every step. Even if the tiles are installed on a level section of sidewalk then you will still be essentially walking uphill, as with every step you have to lift yourself by 5mm.

Long story short the energy has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is you. Therefore it will take more energy to walk a certain distance on these tiles than on regular pavement, given all else remains the same (footwear, speed etc).

How is that for a non-sarcastic response?
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 84
We need to find a way to implement something like this on a highway.
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Sand
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA GTX 580 SLI 8GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1885 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe +1TB WD Caviar Black Windows 7 Home Premium ASUS VW246 Corsair HX-850 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 84
Other than a novelty I can't see it.
Mostly For Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K EK cooled ASUS x79 680, EK cooled G.skill 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB 840 Pro  ASUS DVD Burner 3 Loops which consist of 7 Waterblocks, 4 Radia... 8.1pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ZR30w S-IPS 2560x1600 Ɠ19 SILVERSTONE ST 1500W Custom 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ɠ500 Ɍocketfish SENNHEISER 
  hide details  
Reply
Mostly For Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K EK cooled ASUS x79 680, EK cooled G.skill 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB 840 Pro  ASUS DVD Burner 3 Loops which consist of 7 Waterblocks, 4 Radia... 8.1pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ZR30w S-IPS 2560x1600 Ɠ19 SILVERSTONE ST 1500W Custom 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Ɠ500 Ɍocketfish SENNHEISER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbalt89 View Post
We need to find a way to implement something like this on a highway.
Poster, y u no read the thread?
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
I'm an engineer so I'm going to go with ... Yes.

You are thinking perhaps that the kinetic energy from your foot step is converted to potential (spring) energy in the tile, which is then released as you step off. Even if this were true then it would still make walking harder as we are not used to that; it would be like trying to walk on a very stiff trampoline.

However this is not the case. True some of the kinetic energy is absorbed as spring potential as the tile will have to pop up again, but the majority of the kinetic energy will be transferred to electricity and therefore will not be available to propel your next step.

Also you will be dropping by 5mm with every step. Even if the tiles are installed on a level section of sidewalk then you will still be essentially walking uphill, as with every step you have to lift yourself by 5mm.

Long story short the energy has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is you. Therefore it will take more energy to walk a certain distance on these tiles than on regular pavement, given all else remains the same (footwear, speed etc).

How is that for a non-sarcastic response?
The energy is gained from gravity on us being transferred to the tile, not us asserting more force onto the tile. The way you worded it sounded like you were implying that we would need to "stomp" in a lighter sense to create the energy, which is not what is happening. Since they do not mention how the energy is being transferred from kinetic to electricity, it probably has to do with just the fact the tile compresses and decompresses, creating an oscillation that creates the current, which, if that were the case, would require no extra effort since the decompression will give us energy back as we continue to walk.

Of course, that is speculation due to not enough information is given on the product.
Hi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P Sapphire 5850 (900 Core / 1175 Mem @ 1.125V) 4 GB DDR2 @ 1066 - 5-5-5-15 (Mushkin 996619) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" Samsung Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TX850W Corsair Azza Fantom 900 DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Hi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P Sapphire 5850 (900 Core / 1175 Mem @ 1.125V) 4 GB DDR2 @ 1066 - 5-5-5-15 (Mushkin 996619) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 19" Samsung Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
TX850W Corsair Azza Fantom 900 DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitty View Post
The energy is gained from gravity on us being transferred to the tile, not us asserting more force onto the tile.
True, it is our weight which is compressing the tile. However once you have compressed said tile you will be 5mm lower, hence you have lost 5mm worth of gravitational potential energy (dU=m*g*dh). You then have to gain this back by lifting yourself back up the 5mm, otherwise you will be continually walking downhill.

So whilst we don't have to "stomp" on the tile we do have to climb off the tile again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitty View Post
Since they do not mention how the energy is being transferred from kinetic to electricity, it probably has to do with just the fact the tile compresses and decompresses, creating an oscillation that creates the current, which, if that were the case, would require no extra effort since the decompression will give us energy back as we continue to walk.
So if the tile took the energy then gave it all back to us, where does the electricity come from? Once again; THE ENERGY HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE (bold and caps this time). Some of the energy will be taken away as electricity, therefore we will have to end up using more to walk.

The exact mechanics of the product do not matter in this regard. Unless they have designed some way of creating free energy then the law of conservation of energy applies.
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitty View Post
The energy is gained from gravity on us being transferred to the tile, not us asserting more force onto the tile. The way you worded it sounded like you were implying that we would need to "stomp" in a lighter sense to create the energy, which is not what is happening. Since they do not mention how the energy is being transferred from kinetic to electricity, it probably has to do with just the fact the tile compresses and decompresses, creating an oscillation that creates the current, which, if that were the case, would require no extra effort since the decompression will give us energy back as we continue to walk.

Of course, that is speculation due to not enough information is given on the product.
Sorry, but you're wrong. As the person you quoted said, the energy has to come from somewhere.

You wouldn't need to exert extra effort when stepping on the tile, it's the stepping off of the tile that you need to exert extra effort. Once you step on to the tile, you are now 5mm lower than the ground around you. You have to step "up" to the surrounding floorspace. Bringing your body up 5mm in height is where the extra energy expended is used.
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
So say you want to play Battlefield 3 during a blackout.

Tap Dance.
LOL my friends and I would SURELY do something like that. Just run in place really fast with a little muscle, like hamsters! LOL. Take turns for the hot-seat now.
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Cool for powering street lights. Lights turn on when you get near them
just imagine chasing someone down the street...the lights would follow like they do in horror movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Lol, yeah putting something like this on the highway is the worst idea possible. It would literally steal energy from cars, causing them to use proportionally more gas depending on how far the tiles drop. It'd be like constantly driving uphill.

It also steals energy from you walking on it, but it still wouldn't be as bad as say, walking through loose sand on the beach. More like constantly walking up a very slight uphill grade.

Also, I bet these tiles cost somewhere in the tens of thousands of dollars each. No green projects are ever cheap. If green were cheaper than fossil fuels, they wouldn't have to subsidize it. So I wouldn't call this "cheap energy" that the government doesn't want. I'd call it really expensive energy that is impractical to implement on a large scale because of the initial and inevitable ongoing maintenance costs.
you just described most government departments. There'll be subcommittees and studies commissioned. inefficiency at it's grandest!
Bloom County
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Crosshair V Formula MSI Radeon HD 6970 LIghtning G. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 HP dvd1260 Win 7 Home Premium Viewsonic vx2739wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Logitech K350 Thermaltake Black Widow 850w Haf X onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bloom County
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Crosshair V Formula MSI Radeon HD 6970 LIghtning G. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 HP dvd1260 Win 7 Home Premium Viewsonic vx2739wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Logitech K350 Thermaltake Black Widow 850w Haf X onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CN] Green Sidewalk Makes Electricity.