Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › I need a lil help with a psu for nw build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a lil help with a psu for nw build

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm planning on building a new PC and I'm going with the Sapphire TOXIC 6950, I just going with the one card for now but will for sure get a second one within a month of the new build. I've been trying to read up in the forums here and trying to make heads and tails about using a proper PSU and I'm kinda at a standstill and need just a little guidance.

I used the PSU Calculator v0.98 here on the site and I added everything I'm putting in the new build (x2 video cards and check overclocked for the cpu and gpu's just in case) and got a total of 640w. Upon searching and reading in the forum I'm getting a mixed bag of answers some say a 750w to 850w PSU should be fine for two 6950 cards other say go with 1000w ...

Was thinking of going with this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817171057 since it comes in a combo deal with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090t. Would this PSU be suitable or should I go with more wattage ?
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 19
A quality 750w will suffice.
post #3 of 19
that is an excellent power supply, and it will be enough for two 6950's in your system.

People often recommend higher than needed wattage for power supplies because of a few things:
1) overkill
2) overclocking headroom
3) ability to support future upgrades

Really, it's up to you if you want to just go with something that will suit you well for now, or pay up a little more for even more future proofing
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RT3R View Post
I'm planning on building a new PC and I'm going with the Sapphire TOXIC 6950, I just going with the one card for now but will for sure get a second one within a month of the new build. I've been trying to read up in the forums here and trying to make heads and tails about using a proper PSU and I'm kinda at a standstill and need just a little guidance.

I used the PSU Calculator v0.98 here on the site and I added everything I'm putting in the new build (x2 video cards and check overclocked for the cpu and gpu's just in case) and got a total of 640w. Upon searching and reading in the forum I'm getting a mixed bag of answers some say a 750w to 850w PSU should be fine for two 6950 cards other say go with 1000w ...

Was thinking of going with this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817171057 since it comes in a combo deal with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090t. Would this PSU be suitable or should I go with more wattage ?
You need a solid 650/700W PSU, nothing more.. the Silent Pro Gold is a solid PSU, but at that price you can do better.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
I forgot to mention I'm going with a 890fx or 990fx motherboard so I can xfire the cards at 16x each will with make and difference in PSU wattage ?
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 19
Antec New TP-650
XFX Core/PRO Series 650w
Corsair TX650V2
XFX XXX Edition 650w

The ones mentioned above would suffice, however, if your looking to squeeze every last mhz you can from those cards a 700/750w would be more than enough.
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RT3R View Post
I forgot to mention I'm going with a 890fx or 990fx motherboard so I can xfire the cards at 16x each will with make and difference in PSU wattage ?
Nope, only if you choose to go Bulldozer(really poor choice as we've seen) which is a power hog.

Here you go, Toughpower XT 775 @ 120$(modular unit) or Silencer 760 @ 100$(non modular), both better than the Silent Pro Gold in every way except efficiency.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post
Nope, only if you choose to go Bulldozer(really poor choice as we've seen) which is a power hog.

Here you go, Toughpower XT 775 @ 120$(modular unit) or Silencer 760 @ 100$(non modular), both better than the Silent Pro Gold in every way except efficiency.
I'm kinda new to the site and have been seeing the word bulldozer used, whats it mean ?
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4RT3R View Post
I'm kinda new to the site and have been seeing the word bulldozer used, whats it mean ?
Bulldozer is the new 'miracle' from AMD, the ****tiest CPU in recent history and the nail in the coffin of AMD's x86 business.. here you go:
@ Overclock3D
@ TweakTown
@ HardwareHeaven
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Ah ok the 8 core amd cpu, im just going with a 4 or 6 core.
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500Gb SATA2 LG DVDRW Windows 7 64 Dell 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saiteck Eclipse 2 CORSAIR Pro Series HX750 Apevia X-Navigator Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › I need a lil help with a psu for nw build