It could also be Sapphire ran out of 2GB box and so they used the 1GB boxes by putting a '2GB' sticker on. So, the card you have could be a 2GB card. It is uncertain until and unless you put the card into a system and boot up to find out. This is definitely not your fault.
But regardless, the Dirt 3 coupon is still missing. That represents value that you can resell if you do not play the game.
I've been thinking and a lot of evidence would point towards this:
- Scan.co.uk only stock two Sapphire Cards
(run a Sapphire product filter) so how would a 1GB (not sold there) sneak into my basket/order?
- I can see eight chips of RAM on the card and you yourself have said that a 1GB version is more likely to have 4 x 256 than 8 x 128.
- A 2GB sticker has been applied to the box by hand (presumably by hand).
- After going through the box again I read on a little leaflet-like piece of card that codes/rewards can be redeemed online.
This could mean that there is no 'real' coupon, but an online code redemption scheme. There are two ways to find out (that I can think of):
1. Activate my product at Sapphire.com.
2. Stick my card in a system and run GPU-Z
The problem with option 1 is that if I activate the card and it is a 1GB I have potentially registered a card to my name that will no longer belong to me when/IF I return it!
The obvious problem with 2 is that I do not have a computer that is PCI-E compatible, I also can't think of anyone who would let me use theirs to check my card's identity.
I now think that it's more likely than not to be a 2GB Dirt 3 card with different packaging, however the question is what do I do now?
- Risk registering a card that will be returned?
- Wait until I start assembling my PC next weekend and risk finding out I have a 1GB variant when it is too late to exchange it before half-term?
- Contact Sapphire and see if they can shed some much needed light on the situation (won't hear from Scan until Monday, apparently)?
- Go ahead with an exchange with Scan just in case and hope that it will arrive before or on Saturday?
Thanks everyone for your help.