Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread - Page 548

post #5471 of 22618
Personally I like a sound card, but I also have 2 small boys (3.5 and 1.5 yr old) and a dog that always like to touch stuff.

I have my PC on the floor and the top window is almost always covered with drool from my 1.5 year old licking/kissing/rasberrying the plexi. rolleyes.gif

So I tend to try to keep as much as I can on the inside.
See Pee Yoo
(17 items)
 
Lian Mi
(12 items)
 
Craptop
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k asrock extreme4 980ti corsair vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m3 seagate green lg dvdrw Noctua D14 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64bit 2 x 1920 x 1080p (ASUS and LG) xl2420te ocz zx 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
haf bx g600 / / Roccat Savu Puretrak Talent Soundblaster Z 
Audio
sennheiser hd558 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
celereon g1610 g1 sniper m3 parema seagate barracuda 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
dvdrw windows vista vizio 3d tv rosewill green 530 
CaseMouse
lian li pc v354b logitech g300 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
4810MQ GTX 870M samsung evo  Windows 8.1 
Other
Sager 8728 
  hide details  
Reply
See Pee Yoo
(17 items)
 
Lian Mi
(12 items)
 
Craptop
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k asrock extreme4 980ti corsair vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m3 seagate green lg dvdrw Noctua D14 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64bit 2 x 1920 x 1080p (ASUS and LG) xl2420te ocz zx 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
haf bx g600 / / Roccat Savu Puretrak Talent Soundblaster Z 
Audio
sennheiser hd558 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
celereon g1610 g1 sniper m3 parema seagate barracuda 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
dvdrw windows vista vizio 3d tv rosewill green 530 
CaseMouse
lian li pc v354b logitech g300 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
4810MQ GTX 870M samsung evo  Windows 8.1 
Other
Sager 8728 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5472 of 22618
I think the headphones are as an important choice for sound staging as the source itself, I am using a Creative Soundblaster zx and some Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones which are great and have been for 400hrs in bf4, since starting csgo last week I am finding the sound confusing in regards to footsteps, they are clear enough but sometimes I have no clue if the footsteps are above, below or near/far although left/right is pretty distinguishable, is a guessing game at times and less than ideal.
post #5473 of 22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

I think the headphones are as an important choice for sound staging as the source itself, I am using a Creative Soundblaster zx and some Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones which are great and have been for 400hrs in bf4, since starting csgo last week I am finding the sound confusing in regards to footsteps, they are clear enough but sometimes I have no clue if the footsteps are above, below or near/far although left/right is pretty distinguishable, is a guessing game at times and less than ideal.

I have heard that CS:GO directional sound is not as good as other CS games, but that post was from 2012, I'm sure it's been fixed since then. I have also read that Asus has better directional sound on their budget cards (compared to Creative) because of a DSP chip specifically for directional sound in gaming. I also read that Asus drivers are more pleasant than Creative's, so I am assuming they have better EQ profiles for gaming as well. Right now, I'm thinking about picking up a Asus DGX and maybe a Creative SBZ from microcenter and testing the difference myself.

EDIT: @Rickles, yea I got 2 wild little kittens who are always knocking stuff over. Looks like you get more bang/$ on a dedicated sound card as well. If the $30 Asus card is a noticeable upgrade over my Realtek then it seems like a good purchase.
Edited by LDV617 - 3/19/14 at 9:15am
Smilodon
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k GA-Z77-UP4 TH Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Crucial Ballistix 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m500 Seagate 7200rpm CryoRig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GN246HL @ 144hz Rosewill RK-9000E MX Black EVGA 650w GS Zalman Z11+ 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 PureTrak Talent & SteelSeries XL Creative HD Titanium Sennheiser HD 558 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
vPro i5 Intel QM57 Nvidia NVS 3100m 8gb Crucial 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 128 WD Black 320gb Hard Drive Caddy Adapter OSX Mountain Lion 
OSOSOther
Windows 7 Ultimate Ubuntu 12.04 Dell E6410 Latitude 
  hide details  
Reply
Smilodon
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k GA-Z77-UP4 TH Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Crucial Ballistix 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m500 Seagate 7200rpm CryoRig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GN246HL @ 144hz Rosewill RK-9000E MX Black EVGA 650w GS Zalman Z11+ 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 PureTrak Talent & SteelSeries XL Creative HD Titanium Sennheiser HD 558 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
vPro i5 Intel QM57 Nvidia NVS 3100m 8gb Crucial 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 128 WD Black 320gb Hard Drive Caddy Adapter OSX Mountain Lion 
OSOSOther
Windows 7 Ultimate Ubuntu 12.04 Dell E6410 Latitude 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5474 of 22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV617 View Post

I have heard that CS:GO directional sound is not as good as other CS games, but that post was from 2012, I'm sure it's been fixed since then. I have also read that Asus has better directional sound on their budget cards (compared to Creative) because of a DSP chip specifically for directional sound in gaming. I also read that Asus drivers are more pleasant than Creative's, so I am assuming they have better EQ profiles for gaming as well. Right now, I'm thinking about picking up a Asus DGX and maybe a Creative SBZ from microcenter and testing the difference myself.

EDIT: @Rickles, yea I got 2 wild little kittens who are always knocking stuff over. Looks like you get more bang/$ on a dedicated sound card as well. If the $30 Asus card is a noticeable upgrade over my Realtek then it seems like a good purchase.

I just recently got an ASUS Xonar DGX. I had been using onboard Realtek for the last 2 years and it was really a noticeable difference. If you do go with it make sure to grab the Xonar Switch beta software. It lets you set up different profiles for music, movies, gaming etc and hotkey them so you can switch on the fly. Honestly I got this card for like $25 on Amazon in December and it was well worth it for the difference its made.

http://maxedtech.com/xonarswitch-beta-testing/
post #5475 of 22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV617 View Post

What is more ideal between a DAC and PCIe sound card? I realize now I could just get a nice budget sound card that has on audio header on it and plug my front audio into the card XD

I'd prefer a USB DAC all day, because there's zero interference, and also, I can carry it to LAN for the same consistent sound setup. To be honest, I wouldn't bother too much with a sound card. Had a Creative X-FI Fatal1ty and it was excellent for about 5 years or so but I'd end up using an EQ on it anyway specifically for CS. Was a nasty habit and a rude awakening when I got to LAN tournaments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post

Personally I like a sound card, but I also have 2 small boys (3.5 and 1.5 yr old) and a dog that always like to touch stuff.

I have my PC on the floor and the top window is almost always covered with drool from my 1.5 year old licking/kissing/rasberrying the plexi. rolleyes.gif

So I tend to try to keep as much as I can on the inside.

Haha. Have you tried putting your PC behind your monitor? I have a table that's 2.5 feet deep so I intend on trying that out soon. Gives me more space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

I think the headphones are as an important choice for sound staging as the source itself, I am using a Creative Soundblaster zx and some Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones which are great and have been for 400hrs in bf4, since starting csgo last week I am finding the sound confusing in regards to footsteps, they are clear enough but sometimes I have no clue if the footsteps are above, below or near/far although left/right is pretty distinguishable, is a guessing game at times and less than ideal.

Did you change the sound settings? Well, CS has great positional sound depending on the source. If you have a good sound card/dac, you'll have great sound. If you're still using the onboard, it won't help much.
post #5476 of 22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenanigans View Post

I'd prefer a USB DAC all day, because there's zero interference, and also, I can carry it to LAN for the same consistent sound setup. To be honest, I wouldn't bother too much with a sound card. Had a Creative X-FI Fatal1ty and it was excellent for about 5 years or so but I'd end up using an EQ on it anyway specifically for CS. Was a nasty habit and a rude awakening when I got to LAN tournaments.
Haha. Have you tried putting your PC behind your monitor? I have a table that's 2.5 feet deep so I intend on trying that out soon. Gives me more space.
Did you change the sound settings? Well, CS has great positional sound depending on the source. If you have a good sound card/dac, you'll have great sound. If you're still using the onboard, it won't help much.

Not changed any sound settings, using a sounblaster zx dedicated card and decent studio monitors. I use the in built creative profiles for fps but prefer the fatality one. I think is the problem my headphones are music studio ones and I read the open version is better for sound staging in games.
post #5477 of 22618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

I think the headphones are as an important choice for sound staging as the source itself, I am using a Creative Soundblaster zx and some Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones which are great and have been for 400hrs in bf4, since starting csgo last week I am finding the sound confusing in regards to footsteps, they are clear enough but sometimes I have no clue if the footsteps are above, below or near/far although left/right is pretty distinguishable, is a guessing game at times and less than ideal.

Audio Technica M50's are awful for gaming to be honest. There's too much way too much bass, and the sound stage is too small.
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5478 of 22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

Audio Technica M50's are awful for gaming to be honest. There's too much way too much bass, and the sound stage is too small.

I would not say awful for gaming. They were fine in every other game but this game as you are fully aware there are many occasions where the sound is life or death and I agree in that scenario the sound stage is too small.
post #5479 of 22618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

Not changed any sound settings, using a sounblaster zx dedicated card and decent studio monitors. I use the in built creative profiles for fps but prefer the fatality one. I think is the problem my headphones are music studio ones and I read the open version is better for sound staging in games.

I think I posted an EQ earlier in this thread that you can try out. I completely had a brain fart when you said you had ATH-M50s. I was still thinking AD700s. Closed headphones are good, for LAN. But CS still had decent sound on my JVC RX700s back when I had them. Dmaster captures the essence of the M50s for gaming very concisely tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

Audio Technica M50's are awful for gaming to be honest. There's too much way too much bass, and the sound stage is too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

I would not say awful for gaming. They were fine in every other game but this game as you are fully aware there are many occasions where the sound is life or death and I agree in that scenario the sound stage is too small.

If you're on the headphones setting in the game, switch to 2 speakers. Most people say it's the same, but I maintain that it isn't.
post #5480 of 22618
@Rickles - Great to hear that you have a similar setup and saw improvement with that budget card. Your board is nicer, but we may have the same Realtek chip, I will have to look.

@Sahen - I hear what your saying about the USB DAC and LANs, I can see how that becomes a serious issue very quickly. For now I don't go to big LANs, and won't til I'm much better, even though I definitely would jump on the opportunity if it arose. I think to start I should drop the $30 on the card, and if I notice a major difference, maybe pick up a USB DAC for tournies.
Smilodon
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k GA-Z77-UP4 TH Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Crucial Ballistix 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m500 Seagate 7200rpm CryoRig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GN246HL @ 144hz Rosewill RK-9000E MX Black EVGA 650w GS Zalman Z11+ 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 PureTrak Talent & SteelSeries XL Creative HD Titanium Sennheiser HD 558 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
vPro i5 Intel QM57 Nvidia NVS 3100m 8gb Crucial 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 128 WD Black 320gb Hard Drive Caddy Adapter OSX Mountain Lion 
OSOSOther
Windows 7 Ultimate Ubuntu 12.04 Dell E6410 Latitude 
  hide details  
Reply
Smilodon
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k GA-Z77-UP4 TH Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Crucial Ballistix 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m500 Seagate 7200rpm CryoRig H7 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer GN246HL @ 144hz Rosewill RK-9000E MX Black EVGA 650w GS Zalman Z11+ 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G303 PureTrak Talent & SteelSeries XL Creative HD Titanium Sennheiser HD 558 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
vPro i5 Intel QM57 Nvidia NVS 3100m 8gb Crucial 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 128 WD Black 320gb Hard Drive Caddy Adapter OSX Mountain Lion 
OSOSOther
Windows 7 Ultimate Ubuntu 12.04 Dell E6410 Latitude 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Counter Strike Global Offensive Thread