Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › What would you build?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would you build? - Page 5

post #41 of 47
Reading through this thread I'm not sure why it has become such a flame war. And I don't see why owners of a certain chip set are being called "trolls", "childish", or otherwise. It just seems unnecessary and I'm not going to say anything but, can't we all just get along? The posters in the thread have attempted to help the OP who said he has a P67 build in mind as well as BD and x58. If you have such a problem with P67 then toss it out of your opening post because it doesn't seem like you'll even consider it.

Is there any way you can post your builds so far? The only way I see x58 coming within $80 dollars of P67 or BD is if you're buying lots of used parts and getting a very good deal for them. This said, there's great deals on BD/P67 to be had as well(BD capable mobo's at least, not so much CPU's). If you say that value is not something you have in mind at all then I suppose go for what you think has the BEST performance for the money you're spending.

I would however urge you to consider the price/performance of the setups. Even if you're not planning on upgrading any time soon, more money in the bank has never been a bad thing, use it to pay for something else. I know you've said repeatedly they come within $80 dollars of each other but I still think that a P67 build would prove to be cheaper. Which is why i'm asking to see the builds, perhaps I can help find good deals on P67 or BD that would make them seem more enticing.

As for the 2500k vs. 970 performance, this benchmark seems to clear it up. When 970 wins it seems to pull ahead significantly, but there is a number of applications in the benchmarks there where the 2500k pulls ahead, while using a significantly lower amount of power. Again if value is something that is completely out of the picture I can see that this wouldn't matter to you. But it can be seen in that list of benchmarks that the 2500k fares pretty well across the board when put next to the 970. Simply for reference and not bragging rights, the 2500k topped the 970 in 26 of the given tests, and the 970 pulled ahead in 15 of the given tests. Included in those is of course the power consumption.

Hopefully some constructive conversation can appear in the thread, and I hope I didn't make myself seem immature or a sandy bridge fan boy. Just because I have it in my system doesn't mean I absolutely think it is the best option for everyone. I'm just trying to outline all the options and I'm interested to see the builds you have outlined already.
Edited by jcpiont23 - 10/17/11 at 1:03pm
My SB Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Asus P8P67 GTX 470 4GB Gksill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston SSDNow 1TB Samsung F3 Asus DVD Rom Heatkiller 3.0 CPU WaterBlock 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK GTX 470 Waterblock XSPC RX 360 Radiator Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Shift Ultra x3 1000w HAF 932 Modded('UHAF') Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Razer ExactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
My SB Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Asus P8P67 GTX 470 4GB Gksill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston SSDNow 1TB Samsung F3 Asus DVD Rom Heatkiller 3.0 CPU WaterBlock 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK GTX 470 Waterblock XSPC RX 360 Radiator Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Shift Ultra x3 1000w HAF 932 Modded('UHAF') Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Razer ExactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpiont23 View Post
Reading through this thread I'm not sure why it has become such a flame war. And I don't see why owners of a certain chip set are being called "trolls", "childish", or otherwise. It just seems unnecessary and I'm not going to say anything but, can't we all just get along? The posters in the thread have attempted to help the OP who said he has a P67 build in mind as well as BD and x58. If you have such a problem with P67 then toss it out of your opening post because it doesn't seem like you'll even consider it.

Is there any way you can post your builds so far? The only way I see x58 coming within $80 dollars of P67 or BD is if you're buying lots of used parts and getting a very good deal for them. This said, there's great deals on BD/P67 to be had as well(BD capable mobo's at least, not so much CPU's). If you say that value is not something you have in mind at all then I suppose go for what you think has the BEST performance for the money you're spending.

I would however urge you to consider the price/performance of the setups. Even if you're not planning on upgrading any time soon, more money in the bank has never been a bad thing, use it to pay for something else. I know you've said repeatedly they come within $80 dollars of each other but I still think that a P67 build would prove to be cheaper. Which is why i'm asking to see the builds, perhaps I can help find good deals on P67 or BD that would make them seem more enticing.

As for the 2500k vs. 970 performance, this benchmark seems to clear it up. When 970 wins it seems to pull ahead significantly, but there is a number of applications in the benchmarks there where the 2500k pulls ahead, while using a significantly lower amount of power. Again if value is something that is completely out of the picture I can see that this wouldn't matter to you. But it can be seen in that list of benchmarks that the 2500k fares pretty well across the board when put next to the 970. Simply for reference and not bragging rights, the 2500k topped the 970 in 26 of the given tests, and the 970 pulled ahead in 15 of the given tests. Included in those is of course the power consumption.

Hopefully some constructive conversation can appear in the thread, and I hope I didn't make myself seem immature or a sandy bridge fan boy. Just because I have it in my system doesn't mean I absolutely think it is the best option for everyone. I'm just trying to outline all the options and I'm interested to see the builds you have outlined already.
Bah that Anandtech benchmark is pretty crappy and seldom shows the correct results.

The 2500k is a good CPU, don't get me wrong, however it's only really better for gaming. The 970 will, without a doubt, beat it in any sort of rendering or encoding. If you do any sort of 3D modeling or use the CS5 suite, the 970 is the clear choice since those types of programs can take advantage of the additional threads.

So really, it depends on what the end user plans to use it for.

And thank you for not being all smug and full of yourself simply because you have a SB CPU. You are the exception to the SB comment that I made earlier. You're not coming in here and slamming any product but simply pointing out the differences in a clear and concise manner. Now if only other SB users could have as cool of an attitude as you, OCN would be a better place.
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-Vpro Evga 780 Classified Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
A-Data 128GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Pioneer BDR-207DBK Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 pro 64 Hannspree 25" 1080p LCD 2ms Razer Lycosa PC Power & Cooling 760w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 550D MX 518 Allsop Creative XFi Xtreme music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 47
Wow I am so surprised by the amount of hate in the thread.
The title of the thread is " What would you build? "

Personally I would build a sandy bridge, but that's just me. I use my sandy bridge for gaming surfing, Light C4D, PS, 3DS max, AE, and Sony Vegas, and accidently playing a game while prime 95 is running . And so far has managed to chew it all up.

I am very confused by a number of things in this thread like all the abuse, and the fact that one minute you want an Athlon and next your budget is "sky" high.

If you budget is "sky" high why not go all out with a 980X or 990X?

Also what gpu/s are you thinking of getting?
Do you want to Xfire/sli?

I hope we can all end up agreeing with you and end up making you a build you would like, not one that anyone else would.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
Bah that Anandtech benchmark is pretty crappy and seldom shows the correct results.

The 2500k is a good CPU, don't get me wrong, however it's only really better for gaming. The 970 will, without a doubt, beat it in any sort of rendering or encoding. If you do any sort of 3D modeling or use the CS5 suite, the 970 is the clear choice since those types of programs can take advantage of the additional threads.

So really, it depends on what the end user plans to use it for.

And thank you for not being all smug and full of yourself simply because you have a SB CPU. You are the exception to the SB comment that I made earlier. You're not coming in here and slamming any product but simply pointing out the differences in a clear and concise manner. Now if only other SB users could have as cool of an attitude as you, OCN would be a better place.
I suspected Anand Tech's reviews may not be terribly credible thanks to the fact that I see so few people link to them here(and the fact that it seems like a smaller operation than most tech news sites). I only link to it because it is the most simple place I have found to directly link two products in head to head comparisons, and I would be happy to replace it if a suitable substitute could be shoved in my face .

Thank you for the kind words. And again, like a few other users have said in the thread, what's with all the hate? There is certainly merits to all of the chip sets out right now and based on exactly what a user is looking for they all could come out on top.

Hopefully the OP comes back with a list of the builds so people can see exactly what it is that he's working towards.
My SB Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Asus P8P67 GTX 470 4GB Gksill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston SSDNow 1TB Samsung F3 Asus DVD Rom Heatkiller 3.0 CPU WaterBlock 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK GTX 470 Waterblock XSPC RX 360 Radiator Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Shift Ultra x3 1000w HAF 932 Modded('UHAF') Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Razer ExactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
My SB Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Asus P8P67 GTX 470 4GB Gksill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston SSDNow 1TB Samsung F3 Asus DVD Rom Heatkiller 3.0 CPU WaterBlock 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK GTX 470 Waterblock XSPC RX 360 Radiator Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Shift Ultra x3 1000w HAF 932 Modded('UHAF') Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Razer ExactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post
You people really are a disease. And I have a great, fulfilling life.
you my friend will lead a very unfulfilling life and die a very lonely unhappy person.

sandy bridge is the best chip out at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

the 2600k is awesome, mine was clocked (in a mater of seconds) to 5ghz, then back down to 4.4 for daily 24/7 use on AIR. it never goes above 50odd degrees even when playing rage/crisis/f1-2011 etc

your very closed minded if your not buying the best possible hardware because a few people like it!

but personally i think your trolling.
post #46 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Pete View Post
you my friend will lead a very unfulfilling life and die a very lonely unhappy person.

sandy bridge is the best chip out at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

the 2600k is awesome, mine was clocked (in a mater of seconds) to 5ghz, then back down to 4.4 for daily 24/7 use on AIR. it never goes above 50odd degrees even when playing rage/crisis/f1-2011 etc

your very closed minded if your not buying the best possible hardware because a few people like it!

but personally i think your trolling.
Okay, so tell me what is unfulfilled about my life. Tell me, Mr. Internet Psychologist. Tell me why if I can get a used i7 970 for around 400 dollars which is 80 dollars over the price of a 2600k, and has four more threads, how is that not a good price per thread? And if I remember correctly, the 990x is still the flagship product, aka, the best hardware you can buy.
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post
Okay, so tell me what is unfulfilled about my life. Tell me, Mr. Internet Psychologist. Tell me why if I can get a used i7 970 for around 400 dollars which is 80 dollars over the price of a 2600k, and has four more threads, how is that not a good price per thread? And if I remember correctly, the 990x is still the flagship product, aka, the best hardware you can buy.
You can get a used 2600k for ~$240, or a new one for $270. The 970 is going to be at least $150 more. You can't compare used prices to MSRP and expect an objective response.

I don't see how you're building an X58 w/ 970 for within $80 of a 2600k build. If you're building the X58 from used parts and the 1155 new, your comparison doesn't really mean anything. 1155 parts are everywhere on the for sale section and you could easily knock $200-300 off the price of a new 1155 PC if you bought used.
SB Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz Asus P8P67 PRO Rev. 3 EVGA GTX580 SC 1.5GB 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, 1TB W.D. Black Samsung DVD-RW 22X Corsair H70 [Modded] Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412m Das Model S Professional Silent Antec Signature SG-850W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Steelseries qCK Creative XiFi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
SB Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz Asus P8P67 PRO Rev. 3 EVGA GTX580 SC 1.5GB 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, 1TB W.D. Black Samsung DVD-RW 22X Corsair H70 [Modded] Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412m Das Model S Professional Silent Antec Signature SG-850W Corsair 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Steelseries qCK Creative XiFi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › What would you build?