Originally Posted by seesee
With the introduction of H100,
I notice most tower air cooler aren't that attractive anymore..
some of the reasons are:
1) They are about the same price(basically if you are willing to spend on high end stuff money is not an issue)
2) High end tower cooler usually have space constrain.
3) High end tower cooler adds a lot of weight on the CPU.
4) If you replace the stock fan on H100 it will perform much quieter and cooler too(Example GT AP-15)
5) Is easier to install a shroud on H100 ( improve performance and noise)
i got your back on this
1 first off in canada, the only price i can find for the SA is 84, and the good noctua one (the two tower one, d14 i believe) is 109 at memexpress, cbit and comp ave ( those are WINNIPEG prices, and i dont really care where you live if they are cheaper, not all situations are the same) my h100 was 95, cheaper then the d14
2 yes they do have space constriction, look at my case for example, according to the fan club for the NZXT phantom, there is aobut 500 people on this site ALONE, which means anyone using a high end air cooler, they cannot fit the side 200mm fan on it, so a sealed unit is perferct, especially with my board, which has thermal armor which more air blowing on it is a good thing, plus the 200mm fan on it is great for general air circulation, which if i had a SA or d14 on it, wouldnt happen
3 yes they do add alot of weight, ok so now a year goes by and your cpu is all warped because of your d14, now your resale is down, the socket is pushed it, driving resale on ur mobo down, meaning you have to lapp it, there goes your warrenty, (and yes, to us who dont make a million a year, these things MATTER)
4) If you replace the stock fan on H100 it will perform much quieter and cooler too(Example GT AP-15) this is true for pretty much anything that is cooled.
5 i dont even need to have a shroud on mine, MY EXAMPLE, when i installed my 2600k using the stock cooler at a ambient of 19C my idle was 66!!!! then my H100 brought it down to 35 thats half the temp, with no unneeded pressure on my socket or cpu, because i DO WANT TO UPGRADE, and be able to sell my CPU and or mobo if needed or wanted.
there i said my piece, ever option, always as a better setting where it might be more useful then what your thinking, seriously this is technology people stop being so ego minded, OPS situation clearly isnt the same as many of yours, however i am in the same boat as him, just because you value your own opinion, doesnt make it right, or always valid, and im not saying my side is RIGHT, im just saying its MY SIDE.