Overclock.net banner

[egmnow] Valve Talks Up Source Engine 2

17K views 330 replies 139 participants last post by  BensJammin 
#1 ·
Quote:

...many fans eager to see what Valve may have waiting up their sleeve with their next engine that, it turns out, may never materialize.

SOURCE

they won't change

See less See more
#5 ·
I love the Source engine. It's come a long way, and still looks great in my opinion. I don't see a need to outright replace it and start from scratch.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by james8
View Post

they won't change

Do they really need to? Source can look very modern while running on lesser hardware, has an excellent library of mod tools and is generally quite optimized. I doubt many fans of Valve games are itching for some GPU-hungry DX11 engine when the content of said games eclipses any need for graphical engine improvement.

#7 ·
Quote:

probably won’t ever release a true sequel to the Source Engine, telling Gaminglives: “We just update it, not just replace it,†he said. At “some point we may say there’s Source 2 or whatever, but really for us it’s been pretty easy to keep it and understand the tools."

What I got from the article is they are basicly going to have a new engine but with the same tools so it isn't what others would consider a new engine.

#8 ·
Does Valve need a new engine? Perosnally I want to say no...but when you look around today at other games...I don't know if anything Valve makes on the Source Engine will be good enough to catch attension from the people who want eyecandy. Unless they can really update it so much that it basically turns into something new.

I would just happy for a game that isn't made to work with a controller and has a decent story line. Though I hope they radically change game play if they ever make another half life game or something similar. Everything about halflife 2 was great excpet for all the little "puzzles" that weren't really puzzles; you just had to be standing in the right place and then the solution took no thought, but sometimes you needed lots of luck to find that right place to stand it...that was not fun in my book, but the story was good enough to make me finish it.

#9 ·
Honestly I dont think they need one. Look at Portal 2, so far its eye candy and its using an updated version of the aging source engine. Honestly, I still like it, easy to run, pleasing to the eye, and of course, very flexible in terms of modding.

#12 ·
Valve customer base doesn't need a better engine, many who refuse to upgrade.
Most of them play TF2, CS, Portal and L4D, all DX9 games.

Pulling a DICE will only hurt their bottom line.
Valve's niche is to make fun games, not so much the cutting edge side of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sausageson
View Post

Its funny how people on this site rip COD apart for this very reason, yet valve is allowed a free pass. While the source engine has aged well, it does look obsolete compared to newer engines today.

I agree with this, one of the main reasons I'm not a big fan of Valve's latest releases.
Many hate EA, but they are arguably the leader in visual innovation on the PC at this time.

#13 ·
Valve made an engine that almost anyone can run while still looking great. Not to mention, why would they need to invest the time to just make a new engine when they can just keep updating their current one.

I would imagine they have been updating the engine around their hardware survey, not around the latest and greatest.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson;15330627
Its funny how people on this site rip COD apart for this very reason, yet valve is allowed a free pass. While the source engine has aged well, it does look obsolete compared to newer engines today.
I think its because they (Activision) are making the same game everytime. Cmon they dont really care about the pc market all that much

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxrun
View Post

I think its because they (Activision) are making the same game everytime. Cmon they dont really care about the pc market all that much

Yeah but I remember people on this site specifically attacking COD because it was using the same engine. Whatever you think of the game you cannot attack the fact that there are using the same engine over again, while not attacking valve for doing the same.

#17 ·
HL2 was great because it looks good for the time was one of the first DX9 games if not the first and it had a great story. I dont understand why they would not get a new engine out. Though Source engine is nice it you compare to something like Frostbite its looks very outdated.

#19 ·
I think this will be one of the initial nails in the coffin for Valve in terms of being a developer. They seem to be ok with just sitting on the back burner and drip feeding. They did it with the HL episodes and they aren't even working on HL3 because non of their employees 'want to.' Now they don't 'want to' release a new engine either. You either innovate and move on, or you get lost in the wake of your competitors success, I'm not sure just how long Valve can keep hanging on, even their hardcore base of fans are getting highly agitated, myself included.

Personally I don't care about a new engine, all of Valves games look great. Sure they don't look like Crysis, but the difference in magnitude in terms of power requirements isn't worth the upgrade. Portal 2 looks awesome and runs on mediocre hardware, Crysis looks awesome but needs high end hardware, that's the difference.

In terms of graphical prowess I think the Source engine looks awesome even by today's standards, it may not be a graphical innovator, nor a graphical leader but it still looks damn good. The problem with Valve is that they are coasting off former glory. There's on HL3 in sight, and there are only so many rehashes of Portal and Left 4 Dead that you can do before they become a stagnant entity like COD.

They need to pick that ball back up and carry on innovating if they want to stay in the game, or maybe Valve are just happy with being a distributor these days.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sausageson
View Post

COD is just the same engine and the same game. the fact that it's the same engine every year makes it even more glaringly obvious that they're just copy-pasting the same crap for each game.

Valve games on the other hand are awesome, look great, and run on almost any computer and consoles perfectly.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_clayman
View Post

COD is just the same engine and the same game. the fact that it's the same engine every year makes it even more glaringly obvious that they're just copy-pasting the same crap for each game.

Valve games on the other hand are awesome, look great, and run on almost any computer and consoles perfectly.

LoL, wow.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson;15330627
Source engine tears the "IW engine" to shreds IMO. What you're saying points out exactly WHY we kick COD to the curb and praise Valve.

Source engine is used across a dozen AMAZING titles, that are entirely different games and even different genres:

Half Life 2/E1/E2 - Those, fine, I'll chalk those up as being "one game"
Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal 1/2
Left 4 Dead 1/2
Sin (it was a decent game, it's a shame the series follow-up seems to have been dropped dead)

The IW engine has been used for the same exact game with identical gameplay and reskinned models, maps, and a different campaign. FIVE times, for MW1/2/WAW/BO/3.

Nothing says that Valve can't drastically improve the visuals that the Source engine has provided. That's all texures/modeling/skinning, something the COD franchise has pulled off between releases to make the newer title look slightly better.

#25 ·
um people who says that the source engine looks "awesome" by today's standards are either in denial or just straight-out valve fanboys.

i'm currently playing portal 2 and even though the game is fun, it is relatively simple and ugly. the lack of ambient occlusion greatly decrease immersion for me. i mean sometimes there is no shadow under a piece of debris and its just annoying. (you can tell my eyes are so used to crysis-level candies) also, the lack of HDR, low res textures, low-poly models, and no body/feet in first-person view really decrease the enjoyment for me.

i would never buy a valve game at full price ($50) simply because they use old technologies. i waited until portal 2 was $15 before buying it.
btw i'm currently running portal 2 with SLI 32xQ CSAA and SLI 8x TrSSAA and i'm still able to maintain 60fps despise the ridiculous amount of AA. show how old the technology is. without all the AA, i can pull 270-300 fps

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_clayman
View Post

thank you kind sir for providing evidence to prove my point about valve-fanboys

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros;15330930
Source engine tears the "IW engine" to shreds IMO. What you're saying points out exactly WHY we kick COD to the curb and praise Valve.

Source engine is used across a dozen AMAZING titles, that are entirely different games and even different genres:

Half Life 2/E1/E2 - Those, fine, I'll chalk those up as being "one game"
Counter Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal 1/2
Left 4 Dead 1/2
Sin (it was a decent game, it's a shame the series follow-up seems to have been dropped dead)

The IW engine has been used for the same exact game with identical gameplay and reskinned models, maps, and a different campaign. FIVE times, for MW1/2/WAW/BO/3.
What does the quality of the game have anything to do with the engine? You say that the source engine rips IW engine to shreads, then go on listing gameplay features. Both game engines while looking alright look obsolete to new engines. Also I never liked any valve games except for maybe Portal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.