Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First build, $1500ish budget, suggestions please?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First build, $1500ish budget, suggestions please?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Story is, I have about 1300-1500 to spend on a new system. I've ordered some parts already but I'm hung up on the Mobo, GPU and Monitor. I plan to add a SSD down the road to utilize the caching feature on a Z68 Mobo so i'm not including the SSD in my current budget.
The items I have as pending are ones I like but haven't decided on. Based on my research these are items that will work well with my build but I haven't come to the conclusion as to which will be the best. I would appreciate any input you guys could contribute. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Forgot to add, the reason I went with the 850w PSU is room for SLIing the the future. Also, I'm planning to add more cooling along and along - this build is just a basis to get it all up and running. Probably something like a Corsair H-series CPU cooler, 4 fans on the side of the case, etc.


Ordered:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204
Corsair Graphite Series 600T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139007
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139022
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231445
Total: $445USD

I have already decided on the i5-2500k CPU, just haven't ordered it yet.
$200ish


Pending:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131730
OR
ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...xtreme4%20gen3

------

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127582

OR suck it up and get a 580 such as:

MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127579

------

The monitor really comes down to what I spend on the GPU, I've considered the Asus and Samsung 24" monitors mostly. I feel like a 27" is going to be overkill for me.


This build is mainly for Skyrim, Witcher 2, BF3(of course) and SW:TOR.
Edited by refskeg - 10/16/11 at 10:49am
Corsair 600t
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI GTX580 Lightning G.Skills Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Asus VG236h Corsair TX850 Corsair 600tm 
  hide details  
Reply
Corsair 600t
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI GTX580 Lightning G.Skills Ripjaws X 8GB 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Asus VG236h Corsair TX850 Corsair 600tm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 28
P8Z68-V is better, I think, even non-Pro.

GTX 570 or 2 x GTX 560 (much faster than GTX 580 and cheaper), you will need a 750W PSU for that, but you already planing Corsair 850W, no worries then.

Monitor: Check Dells U2311H, U2312HM and U2412M, and HP ZR24W.
My System
(0 items)
  
Reply
My System
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by refskeg View Post
Story is, I have about 1300-1500 to spend on a new system. I've ordered some parts already but I'm hung up on the Mobo, GPU and Monitor. I plan to add a SSD down the road to utilize the caching feature on a Z68 Mobo so i'm not including the SSD in my current budget.
The items I have as pending are ones I like but haven't decided on. Based on my research these are items that will work well with my build but I haven't come to the conclusion as to which will be the best. I would appreciate any input you guys could contribute. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Forgot to add, the reason I went with the 850w PSU is room for SLIing the the future. Also, I'm planning to add more cooling along and along - this build is just a basis to get it all up and running. Probably something like a Corsair H-series CPU cooler, 4 fans on the side of the case, etc.


Ordered:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204
Corsair Graphite Series 600T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139007
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139022
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231445
Total: $445USD

I have already decided on the i5-2500k CPU, just haven't ordered it yet.
$200ish


Pending:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131730
OR
ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...xtreme4%20gen3

------

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127582

OR suck it up and get a 580 such as:

MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127579

------

The monitor really comes down to what I spend on the GPU, I've considered the Asus and Samsung 24" monitors mostly. I feel like a 27" is going to be overkill for me.


This build is mainly for Skyrim, Witcher 2, BF3(of course) and SW:TOR.
It looks great.

Change to a 750w PSU, it will be fine for even GTX 580s in SLI if you plan on SLI'ing (which i don't recommend).

I would go with either a ASUS Matrix or a EVGA 580, MSI is a great company but their support kinda lacks.

MOBO - either will work, the Asus is better for Oc'ing but if you dont plan on going crazy the ASrock will work for ya.

SDD - Crucial M4, it will be great

i have a 27.5" display and i love it sooo much.


But everything else looks good
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluephoenix View Post
P8Z68-V is better, I think, even non-Pro.

GTX 570 or 2 x GTX 560 (much faster than GTX 580 and cheaper), you will need a 750W PSU for that, but you already planing Corsair 850W, no worries then.

Monitor: Check Dells U2311H, U2312HM and U2412M, and HP ZR24W.
Please dont go SLI, Please read about the frustration and annoyance of drivers that comes along with SLI (you must be a veteran to SLI with no frustration).
Read about microstutter better you even think about SLI


But if you are stupid and wild, do not go with the 560s, go with 2 6950's flash them to 6970's and crossfire
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchy97 View Post
Change to a 750w PSU, it will be fine for even GTX 580s in SLI if you plan on SLI'ing (which i don't recommend).
What? No. 850W is fine for 2x 580. And why in the world would you not recommend that?

OP: it's not often I say to ignore another member, but please disregard inchy's comments about SLI and microstutters. You don't have to be a "veteran" at all, that's nonsense.
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post
What? No. 850W is fine for 2x 580. And why in the world would you not recommend that?
Please refer to my second post please, and a 750W is WAY more then enough for 580s in SLI


EDIT: excuse me i am just informing him on the possible frustration of that kinda of setup, jesus dont get so mad. New builders do not want complications and having a single GPU is much easier. Many will agree with me
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchy97 View Post
Please refer to my second post please, and a 750W is WAY more then enough for 580s in SLI
750W might work, but 850W is good. Certainly not "WAY MORE". You're new here, so I'll let your ignorance slide. You have a lot to learn.
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 28
As you can see here, the Peak load of wattage on these card in SLI is 620W - 625W

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/229

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...Draw,2678.html

Or less, you will have plenty of wattage for a 750w, Mr. Ignorant learn to read benches

EDIT: peak it seems you have a lot to learn my friend
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 28
You wont have hardly any trouble with SLI. a monkey can do it. sooooo simple. and microstutter happens WITH OR WITHOUT sli. There are so many things you can do to stop the microstutter. seriously. stop making it seem so much harder than it is. if he is putting the computer together then he can surely handle SLI
Mini-ITX Beast
(13 items)
 
Project Boreas
(16 items)
 
Oh So FROSTY!
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 - 2500k Asus P8P67 WS Revolution GTX 570 GTX 570 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin Blackline Samsung Spinpoint  Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit Asus VH222H-P X2 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate NZXT Hale90-850-M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D - White Razer Naga MMOG Razer Kabuto Altec Lansing 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.72 Asus P8P67-Pro [1850] 2x Asus HD 6950 DCII 1012/1487 @1.168V Crossfire 4 x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
HDD: 7200rpm WD Black 1TB SSD: 126GB Crucial C300 Windows 7 64bit Ultimate 3 x Asus 22" Full HD Eyefinity Setup Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750 [Modular] CoolerMaster HAF-X |rx360 rad - vpp655/dualbay res Razer Naga MMOG 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini-ITX Beast
(13 items)
 
Project Boreas
(16 items)
 
Oh So FROSTY!
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 - 2500k Asus P8P67 WS Revolution GTX 570 GTX 570 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin Blackline Samsung Spinpoint  Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit Asus VH222H-P X2 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate NZXT Hale90-850-M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D - White Razer Naga MMOG Razer Kabuto Altec Lansing 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.72 Asus P8P67-Pro [1850] 2x Asus HD 6950 DCII 1012/1487 @1.168V Crossfire 4 x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
HDD: 7200rpm WD Black 1TB SSD: 126GB Crucial C300 Windows 7 64bit Ultimate 3 x Asus 22" Full HD Eyefinity Setup Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750 [Modular] CoolerMaster HAF-X |rx360 rad - vpp655/dualbay res Razer Naga MMOG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdBrewski View Post
You wont have hardly any trouble with SLI. a monkey can do it. sooooo simple. and microstutter happens WITH OR WITHOUT sli. There are so many things you can do to stop the microstutter. seriously. stop making it seem so much harder than it is. if he is putting the computer together then he can surely handle SLI
"can happen with SLI or without"

WHAT!?!!? are you kidding me? dude read up on your microstutter, and yes there are ways to prevent it but the game MUST have the options to fix it, like it must be compatible and it must have vertical sync and other settings

Here read some more.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317582
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
Dream Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.4Ghz Asus P8p67 Deluxe Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 4GB G.Skill 8GB 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB Asus Burner Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix II 27" @ 96Hz, Hanns-G 28", Dell 19" Corsair K70  Corsair 750W TXv2 NZXT Phantom 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9x Corsair Aluminum  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First build, $1500ish budget, suggestions please?