Overclock.net banner

Best fan configuration for my case

708 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  brodie337 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have a HAF 922 case, and i want to know if i can improve the fan configuration somehow.

Those are my current fans installed

- 200mm fan as intake at the front of the case (coolermaster fan that came with the case)
- 200mm fan as exaust at the top of the case (coolermaster fan that came with the case)
- 2 x 120mm fan as intake at the left side of the case (cheap fans)
- 1 x 120mm fan as intake at the bottom of the case (cheap fan)
- 1 x 120mm fan as intake at the rear of the case (corsair fan that came with my H60, installed as intake behind the radiator)

So, my question is, can i improve this somehow? I mean, do i have the change any fan direction to improve my temperatures?

I'm using the H60 fan as intake just because corsair recommended, but i really don't know, because behind my case the air isn't so cool since the GTX 580 throws some pretty hot air while i'm gaming (GPU running at around 85c playing Shogun 2 Total War.

Should i trade those 120mm cheap fans at the side and put another 200mm in their place?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesethunda;15347838
put the rear as exhaust and see if you can fit a fan in the 5.25" bays
Actually when i sent the pc to a local store so they could install the H60 for me they installed the fan as exaust, but when i saw corsair's video i changed the direction. But now i'm concearned with the hot air coming from the back of the gpu, since i know the hot air will go up and the fan could be sucking that air to the case. Is it possible? i'll change it's direction to see if i get any improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanPlow22;15347715
I would swap out the cheap 120's and upgrade them......also i would put the rear 120 as exhaust...hope it helped, if nothing else try it and check the temperatures
Yeah i'll do that, would that 200mm fan that i mentioned (actually its the same model of the 200mm fans that come with the case, from coolermaster - MegaFlow 200mm 700rpm) do the trick?

thanks!

@edit

Running the rear fan as exaust now, GPU is almost 10c cooler! Excelent! The rear fan was probably sucking the hot air from the gpu exaust and throwing it back to the case. I could be wrong, but at least the gpu is running much cooler.
Thanks!

#5 ·
I agree on swapping out the fans aswell, although they may not be 'noisy' now.
Get some Nexus Real-silents, they're silent. That's it.
And they're relatively cheap aswell, you can buy them in bundles.

#6 ·
Play around and see what happens. It costs you nothing to move fans around

I'd probably try setting the H60 as an exhaust and move the top fans to intake. You'll get a truckload of people try to tell you that hot air rising means you should never have top intake, but it's a load of BS. A fan has more than enough blow to overcome any convection. </rant>

Only other thing I'd try is exhaust for your side fan. I'm not sure it'll get you better temps on the GPU, but it doesn't hurt to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.