Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Silver U.S. Quarter in my loop??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silver U.S. Quarter in my loop??

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have a 1963 United States silver quarter on my desk and I'm wondering if putting it in my loop will act as a "killcoin" so to speak??

I don't see why it wouldn't , just want some more opinions before I drop it in.
post #2 of 12
Is it 99% pure? If it isn't it could cause corrosion in the loop. Not a good thing. I would just recommend a silver coil or some anti microbial solution. Might be a tad bit more expensive but worth it
Chimera
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k 4.8Ghz ASUS P8Z68-v PRO GEN3 Evga gtx 580 3gb Evga gtx 580 3gb 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8Gb Veangence ocz agility 3 watercooled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
d3 - 23" acer led monitors Logitech G15 1050W modular custom built from scratch case 
MouseAudioAudio
CM Inferno afterglow wireless 7.1 headphones w/ mic x-fi titanium soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Chimera
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k 4.8Ghz ASUS P8Z68-v PRO GEN3 Evga gtx 580 3gb Evga gtx 580 3gb 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8Gb Veangence ocz agility 3 watercooled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
d3 - 23" acer led monitors Logitech G15 1050W modular custom built from scratch case 
MouseAudioAudio
CM Inferno afterglow wireless 7.1 headphones w/ mic x-fi titanium soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
It's 90% silver. Clean it off first, but I don't see why it wouldn't hurt.
The Byte Mogul
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 E0 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.216v EP45-UD3P v1.1 XFX GTX260 2x 2GB GSkill Pi Black 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1x 250GB, PERC 6/i RAID5 4x F4 2TB Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell u2311h $3 Microcenter Cheap-O 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPN-750 CM590 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
The Byte Mogul
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 E0 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.216v EP45-UD3P v1.1 XFX GTX260 2x 2GB GSkill Pi Black 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1x 250GB, PERC 6/i RAID5 4x F4 2TB Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell u2311h $3 Microcenter Cheap-O 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPN-750 CM590 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Well if its 99% silver with no aluminum in it and you cleaned it very well then it would work fine but I would just be worried about what kind of metals were actually in the coin.
post #5 of 12
i have heard of people doing this..i use sodium hypochlorite
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have PT nuke in there already, And the quarter shows no line around the edge indicating any other metals are in it. But I could be wrong, Above poster said its 90% pure... Is that not enough? or does it not matter as long as the other 10% aren't alu?
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
I have PT nuke in there already, And the quarter shows no line around the edge indicating any other metals are in it. But I could be wrong, Above poster said its 90% pure... Is that not enough? or does it not matter as long as the other 10% aren't alu?
It doesnt have to be 99% silver but I just wouldnt risk the gear in my loop for it unless I was sure there wasnt aluminum in it. Its a cool idea but I would just pick up a silver coil from frozencpu for $5 +shipping and play it safe.
post #8 of 12
Another thing is that it has a relatively small surface area compared to a coil.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Something I should mention, the H50 rads are alu. so Im already in that boat... Speaking of which, how is it corsair mixes metals without corrosion?
post #10 of 12
It's only 90%.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 2TB in Raid 1 HP dvd1040i Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Acer 21.5 Widescreen 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX Professional Series 850w 80 Plus Gold Antec 902 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 2TB in Raid 1 HP dvd1040i Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Acer 21.5 Widescreen 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX Professional Series 850w 80 Plus Gold Antec 902 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Silver U.S. Quarter in my loop??