Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › need help choosing tonight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

need help choosing tonight

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
ok ive asked this plenty of times and ive thought about it but cant decide need help one more time
z68 extreme3 gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157271

p67 extreme4 gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157265

i have crucial M4 128gb for os dont know if i need the SSD cache and i have a spare gpu so dont think i need the igp

sorry ive asked plety and just need it ONE more time lol

also watercooling looking for high clocks and going to be using 2500k
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxy_14 View Post
ok ive asked this plenty of times and ive thought about it but cant decide need help one more time
z68 extreme3 gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157271

p67 extreme4 gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157265

i have crucial M4 128gb for os dont know if i need the SSD cache and i have a spare gpu so dont think i need the igp

sorry ive asked plety and just need it ONE more time lol
Personally I went with the z68 ex3 gen3 with the same SSD as you have. IGP is nice to have when you need to trouble shoot and your GPUs are down. SSD cache isn't needed with 128GB...I set my SSD as a boot drive + programs/games I use often, and another 1TB HDD for all the games I don't play as often.

So far so good
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 (non-K) Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 2x EVGA GTX 580 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial 128GB M4 Rasa RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX Series 1000W HAF X Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 (non-K) Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 2x EVGA GTX 580 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial 128GB M4 Rasa RX360 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX Series 1000W HAF X Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
I'd go for the Extreme4, don't care much for the Z68 'features'
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1 View Post
I'd go for the Extreme4, don't care much for the Z68 'features'
what about power phases p67 says 8+2 and z68 says 8+4 would those matter much?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
I like my z68 extreme 3 so far
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8 ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 GTX 680 SLI G Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
256GB M4 SSD Raystorm CPU block Asus VW246H Nvidia Surround Kingwin Lazer 1kw 
Case
NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8 ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 GTX 680 SLI G Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
256GB M4 SSD Raystorm CPU block Asus VW246H Nvidia Surround Kingwin Lazer 1kw 
Case
NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Another vote for the P67. The ASRock Z68, although pretty similar to the P67, does seem to have its own unique set of issues popping up on this forum. The P67 has been tweaked and tested and has a much larger user base that can help you out if you have issues.
2013 Rig
(13 items)
 
2012 Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.8GHz @ 1.34v ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial C300 128GB + 3x 1TB Spinpoint F3 RAID0 2x ASUS 24x DVD+-RW/DL Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Viewsonic 24" LED SeaSonic X650 Gold Cooler Master HAF X Onboard HD 
  hide details  
Reply
2013 Rig
(13 items)
 
2012 Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.8GHz @ 1.34v ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial C300 128GB + 3x 1TB Spinpoint F3 RAID0 2x ASUS 24x DVD+-RW/DL Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Viewsonic 24" LED SeaSonic X650 Gold Cooler Master HAF X Onboard HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
but is there any difference in the power phase or are they the same and newegg is not right since it wouldnt be the first time
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
I tried to edit my previous post but was lumbered with internal 505 errors and OCn was down for a couple mins I think.

Anyways to answer your question about the phase, I would say 8+2 does a pretty good job of taking a sandy to it's limit. I've seen the P67 Sabretooth, which is an 8+2 VRM design, take a sandy to 5.6ghz without any problems. So either one of those mobo's would be great, however, I would just like to add, the Extreme3 and Extreme 4 P67 have different BIOS's, the P67 I believe is a little more mature, however the extreme3 GEN3 is not that far behind. I believe that latest problems that some people were facing was due to the BIOS support.

If you don't require the extra sata port's on the P67 then go for the extreme3, I have seen some good overclocks with that motherboard and also some bad ones, overclocking SB lies trully with the chip, however if the BIOS is not mature enough then that doesn't exactly help the cause does it?? lol

Anyways before you order your mobo, I would definitey ask around in the Asrock thread about the extreme3 GEN3 BIOS and whether or not the problems have been identified and fixed or when will Asrock officially release a new BIOS etc. If you find that you don'y need the extra sata ports and the BIOS is near 100%, then go for the Extreme3, it's definitely a great price.

Hope that helps
Edited by munaim1 - 10/17/11 at 7:22pm
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1 View Post
I tried to edit my previous post but was lumbered with internal 505 errors and OCn was down for a couple mins I think.

Anyways to answer your question about the phase, I would say 8+2 does a pretty good job of taking a sandy to it's limit. I've seen the P67 Sabretooth, which is an 8+2 VRM design, take a sandy to 5.6ghz without any problems. So either one of those mobo's would be great, however, I would just like to add, the Extreme3 and Extreme 4 P67 have different BIOS's, the P67 I believe is a little more mature, however the extreme3 GEN3 is not that far behind. I believe that latest problems that some people were facing was due to the BIOS support.

If you don't require the extra sata port's on the P67 then go for the extreme3, I have seen some good overclocks with that motherboard and also some bad ones, overclocking SB lies trully with the chip, however if the BIOS is not mature enough then that doesn't exactly help the cause does it?? lol

Anyways before you order your mobo, I would definitey ask around in the Asrock thread about the extreme3 GEN3 BIOS and whether or not the problems have been identified and fixed or when will Asrock officially release a new BIOS etc. If you find that you don'y need the extra sata ports and the BIOS is near 100%, then go for the Extreme3, it's definitely a great price.

Hope that helps
yeah that stupid error thanks for the info man i did go ahead and decide to go with p67 ive heard it was a more stable board atm last time i read about the extreme3 it wasnt in the greatest shape but it may have changed but i think ill be happy with the p67
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K AsRock extreme4 p67 GTX 470 SLI 8gb Gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial 128gb,WD black 1tb, Seagate 500gb windows 7 64 bit Enterprise U2311H Razor 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Antec HCP 1200 Corsair 800D xonar DX M-Audio BX5a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxy_14 View Post
yeah that stupid error thanks for the info man i did go ahead and decide to go with p67 ive heard it was a more stable board atm last time i read about the extreme3 it wasnt in the greatest shape but it may have changed but i think ill be happy with the p67
Cool, I would have gone for the same lol

Im actually deciding on whether or not to go for the M4E or the extreme7 GEn3, will hopefully make my decision next week sometime. At the moment Im using an Asus P8P67 PRO.

Anyways be sure to let us know how you get on
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › need help choosing tonight