Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Upgrade advice GPU and PSU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade advice GPU and PSU

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
OK,

I want to play the BF3 ASAP but can only upgrade my GPU and PSU on the PC I have now

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01465973&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3740326

I want to eventually build a new gaming PC but can only afford 3-$400.00 now. I have the HP above and it is a Quad Core 6700 with 6 Gigs of memory and the MOBO has the 1 PCI EX slot but a week PSU. So my plan is for now to upgrade the 2 for now.

So should I buy a cheaper GPU and and buy another same when I build the new rig and SLI or Crossfire them.

Here is what I'm considering

GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161363
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011


thanks Michael
Edited by GENO'S - 10/18/11 at 1:32pm
post #2 of 12
None of your links is working.

edit.
That PSU is pointless and a waste of money, put up a picture with your PSU's specs, a solid 350W unit will power a GTX560 in conjunction with a Q6700 without an issue.
Edited by Original Sin - 10/18/11 at 1:37pm
post #3 of 12
A solid 350 is indeed pushing the really low end of the spectrum. It's tough to find really high quality 350 units which are really worth their price. The best you can do right now is a CX430, though yes, a 350 or 400 unit would suffice
 
Asus 1025C-MU17
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K - 4.4GHz 1.2V Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 950 SSC Samsung 30nm 2x4GB - 2000 9-10-10-21 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hitachi Travelstar 320GB Panasonic UJ8C5 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair H60 2x Cougar V12HPB PWM Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2033 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Quickfire TK MX Red NCASE M1 No. 635 Razer Deathadder Chroma 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Powertel GMA SGX545 2GB Corsair 1066MHz Samsung 830 64GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
20mm blower Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 10.1" 1024 x 600 Cookie Cutter 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Asus 1025C-MU17
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K - 4.4GHz 1.2V Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 950 SSC Samsung 30nm 2x4GB - 2000 9-10-10-21 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hitachi Travelstar 320GB Panasonic UJ8C5 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair H60 2x Cougar V12HPB PWM Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2033 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Quickfire TK MX Red NCASE M1 No. 635 Razer Deathadder Chroma 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Powertel GMA SGX545 2GB Corsair 1066MHz Samsung 830 64GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
20mm blower Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 10.1" 1024 x 600 Cookie Cutter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0matic;15358294 
A solid 350 is indeed pushing the really low end of the spectrum. It's tough to find really high quality 350 units which are really worth their price. The best you can do right now is a CX430, though yes, a 350 or 400 unit would suffice

The CX430 has a 12v output below 350W, if wouldn't be an upgrade in power nor in quality;)

@ OP, the OEM power supplies used by HP are generally solid, you need to check the 12v Amperage of your PSU and post the value or at least post a pic with the PSU so we can see who made it what is it capable of.

Otherwise, if you're determined to buy a new PSU anyway, there's no point in getting a high end 750W unit(that isn't a good deal anyway) to power a system that doesn't require half that.
For 300$ you can get a HD 6950 and a solid PSU to go with it;)
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin;15358405 
The CX430 has a 12v output below 350W, if wouldn't be an upgrade in power nor in quality;)

@ OP, the OEM power supplies used by HP are generally solid, you need to check the 12v Amperage of your PSU and post the value or at least post a pic with the PSU so we can see who made it what is it capable of.

Otherwise, if you're determined to buy a new PSU anyway, there's no point in getting a high end 750W unit(that isn't a good deal anyway) to power a system that doesn't require half that.
For 300$ you can get a HD 6950 and a solid PSU to go with it;)
And you believe the generic HP unit will have more than 336w of 12V combined wattage?

In terms of price and value, yes a very decent quality 400w PSU for <$25 AR is a very, very good deal, when the cheapest "350w" which is of decent quality is >$40. The CX430 is also cheaper than Antec's cheapest offering, and offers aPFC, greater wattage, and greater 12V amperage (23A vs 28A). There's no way he can go wrong with a CX430, which can handle a 560ti and a 6850 easily. wink.gif
 
Asus 1025C-MU17
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K - 4.4GHz 1.2V Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 950 SSC Samsung 30nm 2x4GB - 2000 9-10-10-21 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hitachi Travelstar 320GB Panasonic UJ8C5 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair H60 2x Cougar V12HPB PWM Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2033 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Quickfire TK MX Red NCASE M1 No. 635 Razer Deathadder Chroma 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Powertel GMA SGX545 2GB Corsair 1066MHz Samsung 830 64GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
20mm blower Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 10.1" 1024 x 600 Cookie Cutter 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Asus 1025C-MU17
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K - 4.4GHz 1.2V Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 950 SSC Samsung 30nm 2x4GB - 2000 9-10-10-21 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 320GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hitachi Travelstar 320GB Panasonic UJ8C5 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair H60 2x Cougar V12HPB PWM Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Samsung 2033 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Quickfire TK MX Red NCASE M1 No. 635 Razer Deathadder Chroma 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Powertel GMA SGX545 2GB Corsair 1066MHz Samsung 830 64GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
20mm blower Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit 10.1" 1024 x 600 Cookie Cutter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
You would not need such an expensive PSU for your budget. That psu is used to push SLI 570/580 or CF 6970s.

Here is what I suggest for $315 after $50 rebates and free shipping:

Corsair TX650 $70 after $25 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II $245 after $25 rebate, you can OC this card for more performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127588

It has 2gb VRAM for your BF3 needs, and later on when you want to CF you can simply add another one.

Or if you can afford up to $405 after $30 rebates + $8 shipping get the 6970 and TX 750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161356

I would personally get the latter for $90 more and its the ~$400 budget you have, you get more performance.

Lastly, see if you can add an aftermarket cooler onto that cpu and OC it, but I doubt there be much options to do it on a HP supplied motherboard, because that CPU might be pushing it on BF3 as its more of a CPU dependent game then ever.
Edited by mcc21 - 10/18/11 at 2:32pm
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0matic;15358513 
And you believe the generic HP unit will have more than 336w of 12V combined wattage?

It might have just about the same, and chances are(depending on the OEM) it's superior to the CWT DSA inside the CX430;)

I won't dismiss the value of the CX @ <25$, indeed you can't get better at that price, however if he decides to change the PSU the CX would be as pointless as the HX750, he needs something in between considering that later on he'll be changing the platform too;)
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
You all are awesome, thanks for the fast reply.

my HP is;
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Asus - IPIBL-LB (Benicia) socket: 775 MOBO
6 G-Memory , DDR2 PC2-6400
350W power supply
750 GB hd 7200 RPM

I budgeted for $3-400.00 for the 2 upgrades.

But, I can squeeze $1600.00 for the build right now!

I know it crazy to ask this much, If any one has a good gaming rig-build for $1600.00, please give your build opinions, or should I save more.

I do like the Corsair Cases! Mobo, GPU, PSU, and others, well what ever is the top ones, I do like the intel core's i5 and i7.

Last question, is it wise to get an SSD for the OS and games and HD 7200 for video, pictures and files?

thanks so much all of you!

Michael in San Antonio
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENO'S;15359700 
You all are awesome, thanks for the fast reply.

my HP is;
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Asus - IPIBL-LB (Benicia) socket: 775 MOBO
6 G-Memory , DDR2 PC2-6400
350W power supply
750 GB hd 7200 RPM

I budgeted for $3-400.00 for the 2 upgrades.

But, I can squeeze $1600.00 for the build right now!

I know it crazy to ask this much, If any one has a good gaming rig-build for $1600.00, please give your build opinions, or should I save more.

I do like the Corsair Cases! Mobo, GPU, PSU, and others, well what ever is the top ones, I do like the intel core's i5 and i7.

Last question, is it wise to get an SSD for the OS and games and HD 7200 for video, pictures and files?

thanks so much all of you!

Michael in San Antonio

Getting an SSD with a 1.6k budget is not only smart, it would be a shame not to, it changes the whole experience:)
List what you need apart from the case and internals, do you need a monitor?.. or do you already have one that you intend to keep, and if so what resolution are you playing at?

1.6k is plenty for a solid, single monitor gaming rig;)
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin;15359829 
Getting an SSD with a 1.6k budget is not only smart, it would be a shame not to, it changes the whole experience:)
List what you need apart from the case and internals, do you need a monitor?.. or do you already have one that you intend to keep, and if so what resolution are you playing at?

1.6k is plenty for a solid, single monitor gaming rig;)

Thanks,

I have a G-7 Logitech wireless mouse, Logi keyboard, I have a 4 yr old HP W2408HD monitor.

I will do as you say about the SSD but have no clue how to install it and use it as the main drive, then I will get a big 7200HD for a 2nd.

This is what I've been looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006

GPU is up in the air, ATI or NVIDIA, as well as MOBO, and RAM

thanks,

I value your opinions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Upgrade advice GPU and PSU