Overclock.net banner

What constitutes a "folding farm"?

395 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  FireAroundTheBrim 
#1 ·
Thanks to SS Patrick I have a i7-950 to build a new dedicated folding rig. That got me thinking. What constitutes a "folding farm"?

I fold on my CPU and two GPUs but they are on a single rig. Would that be a folding farm because I run 3 clients? Or is a folding farm two or more rigs dedicated only to folding?

I'm leaning towards two or more rigs only dedicated to folding as I use my sig rig for a lot more than folding (its my main PC).

#2 ·
At my height I had four rigs folding, an i7 930 doing bigadv and a 9600 GSO, a Phenom II X940 with 2x GTX 260's, a Phenom II X965 with 3x GTX 260's and a Phenom II X6 1090T with 2x GTX 460's. That was my farm.

I think any person running more than their main setup with a secondary setup for folding primarily would have a "farm". Some are just more robust than others.

#3 ·
In my mind, a Folding farm consists of at least two computers which are 100% dedicated to Folding.

#5 ·
the ultimate folding farm could be a rack with lcoupe of motherboards on it and lot of GPU's.

saw it very often. like a rack with 8 comp on it with 4 gpu for every motherboard. Everything was folding 24/7.

It cost like 30000$ or more but thats a farm XD.

You can build a farm with everything you find good enough to fold and build it together to make some pc dedicated folding. Any computer is welcome . more there is, better it would be.

#6 ·
I would say a farm would be a single dedicated rig with 2 or more GPU's folding 24/7 with some CPU -smp.

I had a farm started with a AMD dual core proc, a 9800GX2, and a GTS 450.

I think in the end, it comes down to if you have a single computer dedicated to 1 purpose *being folding* then i believe it is a farm. Not many ppl build a single rig to just have it sit there and crunch away and never use it for anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.