Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › R6950s in Xfire running 8x/4x - why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

R6950s in Xfire running 8x/4x - why?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have two R6950s in Crossfire. One in PCIE2 and one in PCIE4 (both x16 slots according to the manual) and *I think* they should be running at 8x/8x. However, in GPUZ, one card shows at 8x, the other at 4x. CPUZ also shows Link Width 4x and Max Supported 16x under the Motherboard tab. System specs in my sig.

Here's what I've already done/checked:

Uninstalled CCC/drivers via Control Panel > Programs and Features, Rebooted
Clean install of Cat 11.9 drivers.
Loaded Defaults in UEFI bios (v1.60), saved, rebooted
Link State Power Management set to off in Windows 7 Control Panel > Power Options.
CCC shows crossfire enabled.

Any thoughts on what else I should check? I'm at work now, when I get home I'll try reseating the board. I also have another Crossfire bridge I could try, if that might be worth checking.

Thanks in advance!

George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
try physically swapping the cards and see if it still happens. if so it is probably a motherboard issue that might be a bios setting.
Sandy Thunder
(18 items)
 
QuickSilver X1
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930k C1 4.6GHz @1.344v Sabertooth X79 2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC SLI 900/2106 Dominator 1866 16GB 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB 'Cuda 320GB XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 push/pull + Alphacool UT60 ... Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VE198D 19" Samsung 920NW 19" Samsung 906BW 19" Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850M Carbide 400R Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Corsair MM200 
AudioOther
Bose Music Monitor Nuforce Icon HDP 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090T BE Sabertooth 990FX Radeon HD 5770 1GB Corsair Veangence Blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 1TB  Lite ON 16x DVD-R/RW ThermalRight Silver Arrow Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Syncmaster 921BW 19" & Syncmaster 965 19" and S... Apple aluminum wired keyboard Corsair TX650 Silverstone TJ05 with window and thermal contro... 
MouseMouse PadAudio
logitech mx air None Monsoon MM-700 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Thunder
(18 items)
 
QuickSilver X1
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930k C1 4.6GHz @1.344v Sabertooth X79 2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC SLI 900/2106 Dominator 1866 16GB 9-10-9-27 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB 'Cuda 320GB XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 push/pull + Alphacool UT60 ... Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VE198D 19" Samsung 920NW 19" Samsung 906BW 19" Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850M Carbide 400R Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Corsair MM200 
AudioOther
Bose Music Monitor Nuforce Icon HDP 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090T BE Sabertooth 990FX Radeon HD 5770 1GB Corsair Veangence Blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black 1TB  Lite ON 16x DVD-R/RW ThermalRight Silver Arrow Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Syncmaster 921BW 19" & Syncmaster 965 19" and S... Apple aluminum wired keyboard Corsair TX650 Silverstone TJ05 with window and thermal contro... 
MouseMouse PadAudio
logitech mx air None Monsoon MM-700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'll try swapping the cards to see if there's any change when I get home and post if there's any update.

I did look in the bios for a setting that might be limiting the link bandwidth - I couldn't find anything. I did see that there is a beta bios available on the ASRock site that has the following description: "Fix the PCI device on PEG cannot be detected."

A quick google search turns up PEG means PCI Express Graphics, so I'm curious if this is a possible fix.
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkman781 View Post
I'll try swapping the cards to see if there's any change when I get home and post if there's any update.

I did look in the bios for a setting that might be limiting the link bandwidth - I couldn't find anything. I did see that there is a beta bios available on the ASRock site that has the following description: "Fix the PCI device on PEG cannot be detected."

A quick google search turns up PEG means PCI Express Graphics, so I'm curious if this is a possible fix.
Install the cards at PCIE2 and PCIE4 at x8/x8 mode. If the second card at PCIE5 x4 mode. If the slots are correct at x8/x8, remove sound card or network card from PCIe slot that shares the bandwidth.
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post
Install the cards at PCIE2 and PCIE4 at x8/x8 mode. If the second card at PCIE5 x4 mode. If the slots are correct at x8/x8, remove sound card or network card from PCIe slot that shares the bandwidth.
Thanks for the reply, Ken. I confirmed that I'm using the right slots (PCIE2 and PCIE4). PCIE5 is near the edge of the board - too tight a fit for the R6950, as that edge is close to the bottom of my case where my PSU sits. There are no other cards in the PCI slots, as I'm using onboard audio and LAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP1 View Post
try physically swapping the cards and see if it still happens. if so it is probably a motherboard issue that might be a bios setting.
I tried swapping the cards last night with no success. I tested the cards individually in PCIE2 and found that they each displayed 16x in that slot.

I also looked through the UEFI to see if there were any settings I overlooked, but there is nothing related to PCIE bandwidth.


To make matters worse - When I boot the machine, it does not always display the POST logo or display the loading screen for windows. The display just stays blank. I have more testing to do, but it did this with both cards. It also did this when I switched DVI cables. I tried updating to the latest UEFI but that did not resolve it. When the display has been blank, I have been able to remote into the machine without a problem, log in to windows and go.

I'll keep testing and report back. I welcome other thoughts if there are any.
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkman781 View Post
To make matters worse - When I boot the machine, it does not always display the POST logo or display the loading screen for windows. The display just stays blank. I have more testing to do, but it did this with both cards. It also did this when I switched DVI cables. I tried updating to the latest UEFI but that did not resolve it. When the display has been blank, I have been able to remote into the machine without a problem, log in to windows and go.

I'll keep testing and report back. I welcome other thoughts if there are any.
I am not familiar with Asrock BIOS but there must be a selection in BIOS to disable start up logo to see the process during POST or disable fast boot option.

I think some devices are sharing the PCIe bandwith. I am just guessing here but see if there are options in BIOS for these:

1. Set Initial Display Adapter as PCIE2 and secondary PCIE4.
2. Disable iGPU Multi-Monitor (onboard video, if any).
3. Disable USB 3.0 Controller (disable sharing).
4. Disable USB 3.0 Battery Charging Support (disable sharing).
Edited by Ken1649 - 10/21/11 at 9:33am
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Actually I think your mobo's last pci-e runs at 4x. Mine does too. If you want xfire running at full x8 you have to install the cards in the first two pci-e
Edited by experience333 - 10/21/11 at 9:58am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] Core i7 2630QM [Lenovo] 4239CTO [Intel](R) HD Graphics Family [NVIDIA] NVS 4200M  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
[Samsung] 4GB 1333MHz  [Corsair] 4GB 1333MHz [Patriot] Pyro 60GB Sata III  [Western Digital] Scorpio Black 500GB 7200rpm 1... 
Optical DriveOSOSMonitor
[Lenovo] DL-DT Drive [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Professional Kubuntu 64bit 11.10 [LG] 15.6in 1600x900  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[Lenovo] Power Brick 130w [Lenovo] ThinkPad T520 [Logitech] G500 [Razr] Goliathus Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] Core i7 2630QM [Lenovo] 4239CTO [Intel](R) HD Graphics Family [NVIDIA] NVS 4200M  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
[Samsung] 4GB 1333MHz  [Corsair] 4GB 1333MHz [Patriot] Pyro 60GB Sata III  [Western Digital] Scorpio Black 500GB 7200rpm 1... 
Optical DriveOSOSMonitor
[Lenovo] DL-DT Drive [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Professional Kubuntu 64bit 11.10 [LG] 15.6in 1600x900  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[Lenovo] Power Brick 130w [Lenovo] ThinkPad T520 [Logitech] G500 [Razr] Goliathus Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by experience333 View Post
Actually I think your mobo's last pci-e runs at 4x. Mine does too. If you want xfire running at full x8 you have to install the cards in the first two pci-e
You're right about the last slot (PCIE5). It only runs 4x. Slot 1 and 3 are PCIE 2.0 @ 1x.

From the manual: 3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode; PCIE5: x4 mode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post
I am not familiar with Asrock BIOS but there must be a selection in BIOS to disable start up logo to see the process during POST or disable fast boot option.

I think some devices are sharing the PCIe bandwith. I am just guessing here but see if there are options in BIOS for these:

1. Set Initial Display Adapter as PCIE2 and secondary PCIE4.
2. Disable iGPU Multi-Monitor (onboard video, if any).
3. Disable USB 3.0 Controller (disable sharing).
4. Disable USB 3.0 Battery Charging Support (disable sharing).
I'll disable the POST graphic and see what happens during boot. I did not see any references in the UEFI for suggestions 1 or 2 in the list above. I do have a USB3.0 header connected, so I'll try disabling that.
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
George Sr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASRock P67 Extreme 4 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr 8GB G.Skills Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 3 Win7 x64 LG 2053 Flatron Microsoft Natural Ergo 4000 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850w 80 Plus Gold CM690 Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › R6950s in Xfire running 8x/4x - why?