It has nothing to do with being delusional - people actually like it for valid reasons.
In terms of features there are dozens of very useful ones (maybe not useful to you but clearly useful to the millions that use it); namely Gifting games which is so huge they've even included a trading system recently which takes advantage of this. There's also the ability to join a game that your friend is playing from friends list..
I use these features without even thinking and take it for granted. There are dozens of other unique perks to it too like Steamworks, screenshot capture functions, brilliant sales (mostly unmatched) and few others.
What has Origin got? Sure they have a better download management feature.. but that's all I can highlight. Also Download speed is an irrelevant reason, as it varies from person to person, depending on where they are located and what game they are downloading - Same as Steam!
Ultimately, Valve hasn't directly done anything bad to its customers in all the 5 years I've been using it (unlike other companies - including EA). And before you start, I am not a fanboy of Valve... I actually prefer CD Projekt more than any company out there and there's a reason for that!
I treat these companies just like I would a person: If I get respect from them, they get respect from me.
Can you remind me what has Valve done that's so bad for gamers?
- I haven't seen them buy small studios and then shut them down.
- I haven't seen them purchase exclusive sports rights because another company started to make a superior product (NFL 2k was better than any Madden game).
- I haven't seen them push $60 price tags down the throats of gamers everywhere for games that simply don't meet that price point in terms of quality.
- I haven't seen them push DLC for micro-transactions to buy product already in the game. For example - the Godfather game they sold weapons and ammo.
- I haven't seen them run the cash-cow mill and force a recently bought studio to rush out a sequel to an amazing game knowing full well the game was going to be absolute garbage. Doing so because they knew they could achieve sales by riding on the still fresh success of the original game.
And you wonder why people hold respect for Valve/Steam...
P.S let's see if you can guess who did all the points above