Originally Posted by odditory
Way to not see the long term. Thanks to the precedent Origin sets now we can look forward to Activision and every other game company jumping the bandwagon and creating their own steam and origin me-too service, here comes 10 different downloaders starting with windows and our games scattered among ten different "libraries".
A big reason Steam made buying instead of pirating a path of less resistance for a lot of people was for the simplicity and consolidation - everything in one place. Reinstalling Windows and getting your games back was just a matter of reinstalling Steam and you were done. So much for that.
Sorry, but what "precedent" has Origin set?
You mean the "precedent" of selling your games ONLY through your own download client that was ORIGINATED, POPULARISED and SUPPORTED by STEAM and its supporters?
Get a grip for goodness sake.......
You even call Origin nothing but a Steam clone, yet complain that any future clones will actually be clones of Origin and its "precedent".......just because any other publishers releasing their own clients would be bad and are therefore only linked to Origin and have nothing to do with being STEAM CLONES.....but they they are steam clones in your own words....yet somehow it is actually origin they are copying...
How does that make sense??
Lets lay it out this way:
1. Steam is born. Is popularised.
2. Origin is born of Steams success.
3. Yet somehow, any other publisher who creates their own client after Origin, is actually just copying Origin.........when in your own words you call Origin a Steam clone.........
4. Therefore, if they are copying Origin, which is the child of Steam.....then they are copying STEAM.
5. The "precedent" was set by STEAM.
6. Therefore, it is YOU and EVERY OTHER STEAM SUPPORTERS failure to see into the long term or you would have realised that heavy support and popularisation of a publisher selling their games only through their client would only make other companies want to follow.
STEAM is the originator.
STEAM is the reason client DRM is being pushed as "acceptable" and "the way forward".
Any other clients that follow after are therefore following STEAM.
Therefore, if you didn't want client DRM to be popular and acceptable, you would have started this whole outcry with STEAM, not ORIGIN which is only a PRODUCT OF STEAM SUCCESS.
The sad truth is that you are trying to be angry at any other publisher who attempts to do what Valve did with their own games, but cant bring it upon yourself to realise that STEAM is the reason that any other client will come about and be accepted (regardless if you do or not), Origin included.
You're trying to act like if Origin didn't exist, then no other publisher would create any clients.
The truth is that if STEAM didn't set the "play my games through only my client and nowhere else" precedent, it would have been much harder for Origin to be accepted.
I've concluded that there's no point trying to explain this blatantly obvious concept to certain people, but I'm sure that there are still some out there with enough sense to understand.Edited by GrizzleBoy - 10/24/11 at 4:28am