Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GameSpot] Origin surpasses 5 million daily users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GameSpot] Origin surpasses 5 million daily users - Page 7

post #61 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton81;15392679 
I'm not sure. Having a community fractured by a number of services is good for 'PC gaming' as a whole. I mean Xbox live and PSN have a huge and strong community, I think that's partly down to the existence of a unity. I don't see a Gaming OS ever coming out, so it would be nice to have an equivalence on PC (in the sense of unity).

Imagine in 10 years time:

Friend: "Hey man, wanna chillout with a few games tonight?"
You: "Sure!"
Friend: "Whats your User ID"
You:
"Origin - Shooter818
Steam - Shooter8
Capsule - Eragon81
ActiCrud - Danny01
BethesDataBoard - Igglerustick
Uplay - Iggle81
2Kportal - Danny81
THQ centre - IggleJelly81"
Friend:... cool. That it?
You: Nah, I'll give you the rest later.

Even if you did have same user ID for all (which is highlighly unlikely unless you have a string of obscure numbers and letters) it would be a security risk. Then there's having to have separate emails for each - since even now I have 1 account for 1 email (for security reasons) with regards to my Origin, Steam, Gog accounts.... I don't want anymore... but knowing the current trend on PC I'm sure its going to happen anyway.

+1 rep to you

I find it funny that no one even commented on this, because it's a valid point. Spreading across that many platforms is a real pain. You cannot, within the reason of logic, say that 2 platforms are better than 1 in that sense, you simply can't.
Sure competition is good, without a doubt. Problem is that they aren't competing in a good way, because they don't have the same products... It is NOT going to help you, as the consumer, because it won't make prices drop. If they sell different games, they can keep the prices at what they damn well please. Of course the publishers have a say in the price too, but still.

Some people don't mind more crap running on their PC's, some mind, others don't want more communities because it becomes a fustercluck of epic proportions in the end. In the end i don't "hate" Origin, but i i don't like it either. Both because i don't really find it beneficial, thanks to the whole "Not selling the same games" thing, but also because i personally do not like EA. For example they decided to pull the plug on Dungeon Keeper 3 to make Harry Potter games, yeah. They also ****ed up the Red Alert games in my opinion, of course that is subjective.
Edited by AnonUser - 10/21/11 at 4:09pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 4Ghz Asus Rampage II Extreme ASUS DCII R290 OC 6x2 Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 Gb SSD/3 WD black/green = 4.5 TB Win 10 Pro-N 3x Dell u2414h Ducky YoTS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HW 750 Watt Corsair 800D Razer Lachesis Roccat Alumic 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 4Ghz Asus Rampage II Extreme ASUS DCII R290 OC 6x2 Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 Gb SSD/3 WD black/green = 4.5 TB Win 10 Pro-N 3x Dell u2414h Ducky YoTS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HW 750 Watt Corsair 800D Razer Lachesis Roccat Alumic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino1317;15399897 
This. Counter-Strike is a big part of steams success.

You mean Counter-Strike: Source. I was playing Counter-Strike long before Steam was even thought of.
post #63 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonUser;15399912 
+1 rep to you

I find it funny that no one even commented on this, because it's a valid point. Spreading across that many platforms is a real pain. You cannot, within the reason of logic, say that 2 platforms are better than 1 in that sense, you simply can't.
Sure completion is good, without a doubt. Problem is that they aren't competing in a good way, because they don't have the same products... It is NOT going to help you, as the consumer, because it won't make prices drop. If they sell different games, they can keep the prices at what they damn well please. Of course the publishers have a say in the price too, but still.

Some people don't mind more crap running on their PC's, some don't mind, others don't want more communities because it becomes a fustercluck of epic proportions in the end. In the end i don't "hate" Origin, but i i don't like it either. Both because i don't really find it beneficial, thanks to the whole "Not selling the same games" thing, but also because i personally do not like EA. For example they decided to pull the plug on Dungeon Keeper 3 to make Harry Potter games, yeah. They also ****ed up the Red Alert games in my opinion, of course that is subjective.

All is very true...

There isn't competing going on because EA has made it so only Origin can play there games.. at this point if you want to play: Crysis 2 or BF3 you have to be running Origin...

Fair game would make it so Steam anyone else could join in and play in the game from any platform ie Steam or Origin or whomever else wants to join up
post #64 of 147
The thing is, Origin has 4 mill today because they allowed BF3 to be downloaded, so every1 who owns BF3 pretty much logged on today.

Steam was introduced slowly not with the release of one of the biggest games of this decade.

Just my opinion of why these statistics are misleading.
Cheap Hooker
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 - 3570k Gigabye UD77H GTX 670  GTX 670 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Patriot Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung Spinpoint F1  Samsung 830 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor SSD Pioneer DVD RW H100 Win7 ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
U2311H Corsair K60 FSP Group 800W NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Deathadder 2013 Everglide titan 
  hide details  
Reply
Cheap Hooker
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 - 3570k Gigabye UD77H GTX 670  GTX 670 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Patriot Samsung Spinpoint F1 Samsung Spinpoint F1  Samsung 830 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Plextor SSD Pioneer DVD RW H100 Win7 ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
U2311H Corsair K60 FSP Group 800W NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Deathadder 2013 Everglide titan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86;15399995 
All is very true...

There isn't competing going on because EA has made it so only Origin can play there games.. at this point if you want to play: Crysis 2 or BF3 you have to be running Origin...

Fair game would make it so Steam anyone else could join in and play in the game from any platform ie Steam or Origin or whomever else wants to join up
Yet I dont see you campaigning for Valve to make L4D, Half life, Counter strike and a bunch of non Valve created, but "Steamworks'' 'd games to be available for use on any other platform and not locked into to Steam.

You know, for "competitions" sake?

Or is this another case of certain values and principles only applying where it benefits/suits your individual cause at any moment in time?
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 147
Steam and Origin are basically the same thing - you can't be morally opposed to one and not the other.
post #67 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy;15400092 
Yet I dont see you campaigning for Valve to make L4D, Half life, Counter strike and a bunch of non Valve created, but "Steamworks'' 'd games to be available for use on any other platform and not locked into to Steam.

You know, for "competitions" sake?

Or is this another case of certain values and principles only applying where it benefits/suits your individual cause at any moment in time?

I see your point, but it's void. As i mentioned i do not like the spread to more platforms because it's not beneficial to the community.

But that aside, i don't recall saying that steam shouldn't make their games available in other stores. But you can't dismiss that fact that Steamworks is a major bonus for anyone. It has a good server browser, it's got an overlay, in most cases plenty of your friends on a chat list. It's kind of a tough area, because more platforms like it would maybe make them both better...but in the end it's gonna be another "amd vs nvidia" kinda thing with some people defending one community and vice versa. It's really hard to conclude on something like this because there is ALWAYS gonna be personal bias on it, no one is truly objective. My friends are on Steam, i have a lot of games there, there are a lot of games available, they have nice, sometimes even insane sales... You can't really blame a person for preferring that solution over a brand new service run by a company with a questionable reputation with fewer games.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 4Ghz Asus Rampage II Extreme ASUS DCII R290 OC 6x2 Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 Gb SSD/3 WD black/green = 4.5 TB Win 10 Pro-N 3x Dell u2414h Ducky YoTS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HW 750 Watt Corsair 800D Razer Lachesis Roccat Alumic 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 @ 4Ghz Asus Rampage II Extreme ASUS DCII R290 OC 6x2 Gb Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 Gb SSD/3 WD black/green = 4.5 TB Win 10 Pro-N 3x Dell u2414h Ducky YoTS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HW 750 Watt Corsair 800D Razer Lachesis Roccat Alumic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonUser;15400244 
I see your point, but it's void. As i mentioned i do not like the spread to more platforms because it's not beneficial to the community.

But that aside, i don't recall saying that steam shouldn't make their games available in other stores. But you can't dismiss that fact that Steamworks is a major bonus for anyone. It has a good server browser, it's got an overlay, in most cases plenty of your friends on a chat list. It's kind of a tough area, because more platforms like it would maybe make them both better...but in the end it's gonna be another "amd vs nvidia" kinda thing with some people defending one community and vice versa. It's really hard to conclude on something like this because there is ALWAYS gonna be personal bias on it, no one is truly objective. My friends are on Steam, i have a lot of games there, there are a lot of games available, they have nice, sometimes even insane sales... You can't really blame a person for preferring that solution over a brand new service run by a company with a questionable reputation with fewer games.

dis
my pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5ghz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Radeon HD 6870 900/1015 1050/1130 8 GB Gskills Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm LightScribe Media All in One Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor 1920x1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
wut? Rosewill HIVE Series 750w Rosewill Atx Midtower Case wut? 
Mouse Pad
nope 
  hide details  
Reply
my pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5ghz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Radeon HD 6870 900/1015 1050/1130 8 GB Gskills Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm LightScribe Media All in One Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor 1920x1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
wut? Rosewill HIVE Series 750w Rosewill Atx Midtower Case wut? 
Mouse Pad
nope 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 147
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670k ASRock Z87E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Toshiba DT01ACA200 OCZ Vertex 460 Swiftech H220-X EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover Water Block 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Black Ice Nemesis 120GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow L... Windows 10 BenQ GW Series GW2760HS  Silverstone Tek 450-Watts SFX 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670k ASRock Z87E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Toshiba DT01ACA200 OCZ Vertex 460 Swiftech H220-X EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover Water Block 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Black Ice Nemesis 120GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow L... Windows 10 BenQ GW Series GW2760HS  Silverstone Tek 450-Watts SFX 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86;15399920 
You mean Counter-Strike: Source. I was playing Counter-Strike long before Steam was even thought of.
WON servers were shut down. CS community moved over to Steam.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GameSpot] Origin surpasses 5 million daily users