Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › water cooling for a gtx 590
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

water cooling for a gtx 590

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I just bought the gtx 590 not to long ago, and when i played final fantasy xiv for about 4 to 5 hours I started getting black lines in my game. I think this is do to the card getting to hot. Because the temps were hitting the low 100s after i logged out of game into windows. So i think i need a water cooling block for my 590, but i have never bought anything to do with water cooling before. So i come to you to ask what all i would need to make this work and what would be the best sites to buy them from, thanks any info would be of great help.
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 17
Watercooling is great. My first choice for buying parts is Sidewindercomputers.com. Some other places to look are Jab-tech, FrozenCPU, and Performance-PCs, among others.

Just a warning, if you do decide to watercool, it won't be cheap. Expect $400+ if you decide to go for it.
post #3 of 17
If you're going to attempt watercooling, you might as well cool your cpu too. I would suggest the following:

GPU Block: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=1146

XSPC kit: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30281

This puts you @ $300.

Then you'll need to buy fittings, coolant (cheap = distilled water, silver kill coil) and I suggest Primochill tubing. Additionally, you'll have to decide how large your tubing diameter will be. If I were you, I would go 1/2" inner diameter, 3/4" outerdiameter. Make sure your fittings and tubes inner and outer diameters match up.

Good luck and you won't regret it. You'll be able to OC your cpu and the 590 and have good temps with the above setup!
Edited by Zmanster - 10/21/11 at 7:45am
Not Bad
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 930 OC 4.0 GHZ @ 1.32V - XSPC Waterblock Gigabyte X58 - UD3R, Rev 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470-Koolance Water Block Asus GTX 470-Koolance Water Block 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
16GB Mushkin 1600 Kingston 128 GB SSD/WD 1TB SATA III Asus 24X Windows 7 Premium - 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" ASUS 120Hz (Nvidia 3D); 26" Samsung SyncMaster Razer X7 900W 80 Plus Silver Certified AZZA Full Tower 
MouseAudio
Razer Death Adder Logitech 2.1 Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
Not Bad
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 930 OC 4.0 GHZ @ 1.32V - XSPC Waterblock Gigabyte X58 - UD3R, Rev 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470-Koolance Water Block Asus GTX 470-Koolance Water Block 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
16GB Mushkin 1600 Kingston 128 GB SSD/WD 1TB SATA III Asus 24X Windows 7 Premium - 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" ASUS 120Hz (Nvidia 3D); 26" Samsung SyncMaster Razer X7 900W 80 Plus Silver Certified AZZA Full Tower 
MouseAudio
Razer Death Adder Logitech 2.1 Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 17
My first choice is always Sidewinder...Great peeps.

EK seems hit/miss lately...XSPC has a nice offering as does Koolance...The heatkillers are nice too, actually.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;15393747 
Watercooling is great. My first choice for buying parts is Sidewindercomputers.com. Some other places to look are Jab-tech, FrozenCPU, and Performance-PCs, among others.

Just a warning, if you do decide to watercool, it won't be cheap. Expect $400+ if you decide to go for it.

ty and wow $400 crap what all do i need i plan on only water cooling the card for now. but something tells me once i start ill have trouble stopping myself from upgrading the cooling on my hardware.
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 17
If you are going to put your GPU under water, I recommend you put your CPU as well.

Trust me, once the WC bug takes hold of you, you will want to go out an put the CPU under water anyway. So you may as well do it from the start. So I would recommend;

CPU Block - XSPC Raystorm - $62.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14191/ex-blc-972/XSPC_RayStorm_High_Performance_Acetal_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_AMD_Sockets_AM2_AM2_AM3_FM1.html?tl=g30c323s1205
GPU Block - Koolance VID-NX590 - $149.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12961/ex-blc-906/Koolance_VID-NX590_NVIDIA_GTX_590_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_No_Fittings.html?tl=g30c311s1388
Pump - Swiftech MCP655 variable speed - $104.95 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6190/ex-pmp-54/Swiftech_MCP655_12v_Water_Pump_w_Speed_Control_and_38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s153
Pump Top - EK D5 X-Res 140 - $72.95 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12361/ex-pmp-127/EK_D5_X-Res_Top_140_Pump_Top_Reservoir_Combo_-_Black_Acetal_EK-D5_X-RES_TOP_140_-_Black_Acetal.html?tl=g30c107s156
Radiator - XSPC RX360 - $94.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8523/ex-rad-146/XSPC_RX360_Triple_120mm_Radiator_Rev_2.html?tl=g30c95s161
Tubing - 10ft PrimoChill 7/16" tubing (Pick whatever colour you like) - $22.95 - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c99/s809/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing-716_ID_Tubing-Page1.html
Fittings - 10 x Bitspower Black Sparkle 1/2" ID (Pick any others you like, I just chose these coz I like them) - $34.90 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7612/ex-tub-315/Bitspower_Black_Sparkle_G14_Barb_Fitting_-_12_ID.html?tl=g30c407s1030
Coolant - Distilled Water (From a supermarket) - ~$5 a gallon?
Additives - IandH Silver KillCoil 0.999 Fine Silver (Just put this is the reservoir. It kills bacteria and will help stop algae growth) - $6.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11441/ex-tub-705/IandH_Silver_KillCoils_-_Antimicrobial_999_Fine_Silver_Tubing_Reservoir_Strip.html
Fans - 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP15 - $47.85 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10323/fan-674/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_1850_RPM_D1225C12B5AP-15_Hot_Item_.html?tl=g36c15s60

Hopefully that will help you out some what
Edited by Vengeance47 - 10/21/11 at 8:04am
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47;15393838 
If you are going to put your GPU under water, I recommend you put your CPU as well.

Trust me, once the WC bug takes hold of you, you will want to go out an put the CPU under water anyway. So you may as well do it from the start. So I would recommend;

CPU Block - XSPC Raystorm - $62.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14191/ex-blc-972/XSPC_RayStorm_High_Performance_Acetal_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_AMD_Sockets_AM2_AM2_AM3_FM1.html?tl=g30c323s1205
GPU Block - Koolance VID-NX590 - $149.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12961/ex-blc-906/Koolance_VID-NX590_NVIDIA_GTX_590_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_No_Fittings.html?tl=g30c311s1388
Pump - Swiftech MCP655 variable speed - $104.95 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6190/ex-pmp-54/Swiftech_MCP655_12v_Water_Pump_w_Speed_Control_and_38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107s153
Pump Top - EK D5 X-Res 140 - $72.95 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12361/ex-pmp-127/EK_D5_X-Res_Top_140_Pump_Top_Reservoir_Combo_-_Black_Acetal_EK-D5_X-RES_TOP_140_-_Black_Acetal.html?tl=g30c107s156
Radiator - XSPC RX360 - $94.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8523/ex-rad-146/XSPC_RX360_Triple_120mm_Radiator_Rev_2.html?tl=g30c95s161
Tubing - 10ft PrimoChill 7/16" tubing (Pick whatever colour you like) - $22.95 - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c99/s809/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing-716_ID_Tubing-Page1.html
Fittings - 10 x Bitspower Black Sparkle 1/2" ID (Pick any others you like, I just chose these coz I like them) - $34.90 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7612/ex-tub-315/Bitspower_Black_Sparkle_G14_Barb_Fitting_-_12_ID.html?tl=g30c407s1030
Coolant - Distilled Water (From a supermarket) - ~$5 a gallon?
Additives - IandH Silver KillCoil 0.999 Fine Silver (Just put this is the reservoir. It kills bacteria and will help stop algae growth) - $6.99 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11441/ex-tub-705/IandH_Silver_KillCoils_-_Antimicrobial_999_Fine_Silver_Tubing_Reservoir_Strip.html
Fans - 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP15 - $47.85 - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10323/fan-674/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_1850_RPM_D1225C12B5AP-15_Hot_Item_.html?tl=g36c15s60

Hopefully that will help you out some what

which of these would i need just for the 590 i know i will be getting everything later that goes without saying, but i just bought a card that cost over $700 so the rest will sadly have to wait.
Edited by Linuxwillrise - 10/21/11 at 8:26am
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 17
XSPC has the cheapest 590 block (and the best looking IMO). Mine should be here on monday.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49;15394417 
XSPC has the cheapest 590 block (and the best looking IMO). Mine should be here on monday.

lol guess u ran into the same problem as i did that sucker runs hot
Edited by Linuxwillrise - 10/21/11 at 10:27am
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaindownsyndrome;15395708 
lol guess u ran into the same problem as i did theat sucker runs hot

Not really, mine never even hits 70*C but I run a custom fan profile and a case with adequate cooling fans. Water is just because I can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › water cooling for a gtx 590