Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gts 250/240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gts 250/240 - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimuri View Post
The GTS240 has 112 cores @ 675mhz while the GTS250 has 128 cores @ 738mhz.

They are both based on the G92b core. The GTS250 has the performance of the 9800GTX+ so we can assume the GTS240 roughly has the performance of a 9600GT.
would the cores really make a difference?
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
I was Doing just fine with my GTS 250, Only upgraded for Dx11 and less noise i was playing crysis 2 at high settings (not ultra) at 1080. You should be fine
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimuri View Post
The GTS240 has 112 cores @ 675mhz while the GTS250 has 128 cores @ 738mhz.

They are both based on the G92b core. The GTS250 has the performance of the 9800GTX+ so we can assume the GTS240 roughly has the performance of a 9800GT.
The GTS250 is the 98000GTX+. They rebadged it, and started offering more 1GB models. By the specs it should perform marginally better than the 9800GT. That probably won't mean much in real world gaming.
Bluebonic chronic
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 MSI GTX 470  EVGA GTX 470 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin Blackline 1600  Corsair Force GT 120 GB WD 1TB Black Sata III XSPC Rasa CPU/ EK full cover GTX 470's 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ult. x64 ASUS 24" LED Logitech Wireless Corsair 950 TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cosmos S Logitech G9x Wal-Mart special 
  hide details  
Reply
Bluebonic chronic
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 MSI GTX 470  EVGA GTX 470 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Mushkin Blackline 1600  Corsair Force GT 120 GB WD 1TB Black Sata III XSPC Rasa CPU/ EK full cover GTX 470's 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ult. x64 ASUS 24" LED Logitech Wireless Corsair 950 TX 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cosmos S Logitech G9x Wal-Mart special 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoey112 View Post
would the cores really make a difference?
Yes, they make a difference. They are both based on the same G92b chip. Thus, if you start disabling cores the performance will drop.

I edited my last post to fix the last sentence. The GTS240 is equivalent to the 9800GT, not the 9600GT.

If you go to wikipedia and compare the specs on the GTS240 and the 9800GT they are exactly the same. Just as the GTS250 is the EXACT same card as the 9800GTX+.

As for using a separate power supply, remember that any PCI-E card will still draw 75watts from the PCI-E slot. The second power supply will only be supplying 75watts through the 6-pin connector. The GTS 240 will draw a maximum of 140 watts, 75 watts from the PCI-E slot and 65 watts from the 6-pin connector.

The GTS240 will play the games you listed just fine, granted you have a decent CPU to send it data.

If power usage is a big problem you could simply try to find an old 9800GT Green Edition that only uses 75watts and does not need a 6-pin connector.

To answer your original question, yes, the GTS 240 is worth $20 and will handle the games you listed on medium settings at 1600x900. You may be able to even get some high settings at that resolution. My old GTS 250 handled many games on high settings at 1920x1080 as long as AA was turned off.



Quote:
Originally Posted by billy66bare View Post
The GTS250 is the 98000GTX+. They rebadged it, and started offering more 1GB models. By the specs it should perform marginally better than the 9800GT. That probably won't mean much in real world gaming.
This I already know. I was comparing the GTS 240, not the GTS 250, to the 9800GT.

GT 240 = 9600GT
GTS 240 = re-badged 9800GT
GTS 250 = re-badged 9800GTX+
Edited by Grimuri - 10/22/11 at 12:34am
Fennec
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition @ 2.63ghz ASUS M4A785-M XFX AMD Radeon R7 360 2GB 4x2GB Wintec AMPX DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250GB Caviar SE16 + WD 1TB Green LG DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Acer 23" H233H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Zephyr MX 580W (12v1 @28A, 12v2 @20A) HEC "6C28" Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
Fennec
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition @ 2.63ghz ASUS M4A785-M XFX AMD Radeon R7 360 2GB 4x2GB Wintec AMPX DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250GB Caviar SE16 + WD 1TB Green LG DVD±RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Acer 23" H233H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Zephyr MX 580W (12v1 @28A, 12v2 @20A) HEC "6C28" Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimuri View Post
Yes, they make a difference. They are both based on the same G92b chip. Thus, if you start disabling cores the performance will drop.

I edited my last post to fix the last sentence. The GTS240 is equivalent to the 9800GT, not the 9600GT.

If you go to wikipedia and compare the specs on the GTS240 and the 9800GT they are exactly the same. Just as the GTS250 is the EXACT same card as the 9800GTX+.

As for using a separate power supply, remember that any PCI-E card will still draw 75watts from the PCI-E slot. The second power supply will only be supplying 75watts through the 6-pin connector. The GTS 240 will draw a maximum of 140 watts, 75 watts from the PCI-E slot and 65 watts from the 6-pin connector.

The GTS240 will play the games you listed just fine, granted you have a decent CPU to send it data.

If power usage is a big problem you could simply try to find an old 9800GT Green Edition that only uses 75watts and does not need a 6-pin connector.

To answer your original question, yes, the GTS 240 is worth $20 and will handle the games you listed on medium settings at 1600x900. You may be able to even get some high settings at that resolution. My old GTS 250 handled many games on high settings at 1920x1080 as long as AA was turned off.





This I already know. I was comparing the GTS 240, not the GTS 250, to the 9800GT.

GT 240 = 9600GT
GTS 240 = re-badged 9800GT
GTS 250 = re-badged 9800GTX+
Thanks rep up. If i overclock it will it take more power from the PCIE slot or 6 pin?
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA4K View Post
if it is similar to a gts 250 then i guess so. A gts 250 is identical in performance to a gts 450, and my old 450 could max out (with max aa and ultrahigh mod) dirt 2 at 1440x900. if that helps.
Not exactly. The GTS450 is about equal to a GTX260 (both have 192sp). The big difference being dx11 on tge 450.

The 250 is a re-badged 9800gtx+.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
In progress.
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asrock Z77E-ITX GTX670 Windforce 8gb Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 3 240gb OS and Steam h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VG236HE 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steelseries 6gv2 Antec TruePower New TP-750 Bitfenix Prodigy (White) 
  hide details  
Reply
In progress.
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asrock Z77E-ITX GTX670 Windforce 8gb Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 3 240gb OS and Steam h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VG236HE 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steelseries 6gv2 Antec TruePower New TP-750 Bitfenix Prodigy (White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
WELL I BOUGHT IT it works great!
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gts 250/240