Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Sapphire TOXIC HD-6950/70 Owners Club & Informational Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sapphire TOXIC HD-6950/70 Owners Club & Informational Thread - Page 51

post #501 of 1648
Right now I use 1.250v for my highest clock. I think I could hit 980 or so on the core stable and 6000 on the memory but I have not tested alot. I'm pretty happy with my rig at the clocks everything is at....But after thanksgiving I'm going to see if I can hit 4.1-4.2GHz on CPU with a 2800NB, and 980/6000 on GPU. but I don't think I'll see any FPS gain in game's, thats all I care about lol.
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #502 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

Right now I use 1.250v for my highest clock. I think I could hit 980 or so on the core stable and 6000 on the memory but I have not tested alot. I'm pretty happy with my rig at the clocks everything is at....But after thanksgiving I'm going to see if I can hit 4.1-4.2GHz on CPU with a 2800NB, and 980/6000 on GPU. but I don't think I'll see any FPS gain in game's, thats all I care about lol.

wow well good luck smile.gif what voltage you using on your cpu, and what will you use to try to hit 4.2Ghz? mine is at 3.7Ghz on stock voltage. i like keeping things at stock voltage as the temps stay nice and low and there's much less risk of damaging parts, but i think its got to that time again where my cpu isn't quite cutting it in modern games so will have to over-volt if i want to overclock more. im hoping to get a nice intel cpu next year and be done with amd until they get their act together again!
post #503 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

wow well good luck smile.gif what voltage you using on your cpu, and what will you use to try to hit 4.2Ghz? mine is at 3.7Ghz on stock voltage. i like keeping things at stock voltage as the temps stay nice and low and there's much less risk of damaging parts, but i think its got to that time again where my cpu isn't quite cutting it in modern games so will have to over-volt if i want to overclock more. im hoping to get a nice intel cpu next year and be done with amd until they get their act together again!

I have a pretty generic setting. When overclocking the 955's it can help ALOT to overclock the NB freq too. I just bumped the multi on the CPU to hit 4.0. Voltage is at 1.450. Haven't even tweaked it at all. when you clock past about 3.8 you will have to give the NB a bump. All I did to overclock my CPU/NB was bump the multi to 13 and put the CPU/NB voltage at 1.35. my CPU temps are downright amazing. hangs out at at around 38-39c while playing BF3 for long hours and peaks at 41-42c under full load for 8 hours of prime. Ambient is 70f/21c. Hope this helps out some. I Wouldn't shock me if I could drop the voltage down and keep stable at 4.0, but I'm going to try for 1.475 for a 4.1-4.2 clock. Would be nice if bumping the BN to 2800 keeps 4.2 at 1.450v lol, but that would be one hell of a golden chip smile.gif
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #504 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

I have a pretty generic setting. When overclocking the 955's it can help ALOT to overclock the NB freq too. I just bumped the multi on the CPU to hit 4.0. Voltage is at 1.450. Haven't even tweaked it at all. when you clock past about 3.8 you will have to give the NB a bump. All I did to overclock my CPU/NB was bump the multi to 13 and put the CPU/NB voltage at 1.35. my CPU temps are downright amazing. hangs out at at around 38-39c while playing BF3 for long hours and peaks at 41-42c under full load for 8 hours of prime. Ambient is 70f/21c. Hope this helps out some. I Wouldn't shock me if I could drop the voltage down and keep stable at 4.0, but I'm going to try for 1.475 for a 4.1-4.2 clock. Would be nice if bumping the BN to 2800 keeps 4.2 at 1.450v lol, but that would be one hell of a golden chip smile.gif

thanks for the info smile.gif my motherboard had some preset overclocks for my cpu. the highest was 3.6Ghz with no changes to the cpu multiplier or voltage. i just bumped the cpu multiplier from 16 to 16.5 and it gave me 3.7Ghz which is stable with prime95. i haven't learned enough about overclocking cpu's yet so i was hoping to just get away with multiplier bumps from this point on. ive read around so much about the voltage for these things though and its hard to work out what is actually the max these are safe at. ive seen a few people say that amd state that up to 1.5v is ok, but i cant find this info on amd's website so im not sure i trust it. good luck with your overclock though and post back with results ay smile.gif ive had enough for one day with all the messing around with my 6950! so i think i'll wait until tomorrow to mess with my cpu tongue.gif
post #505 of 1648
So i bought a 2nd Reference 6950 (Diamond HD 6950) and crossfired it to my Toxic
only when im looking in GPU-Z do i realize these 2 cards have differences besides the shaders.
374
Also the reference card cannot take the 1.2 volts the toxic can lol, i actually burned out a card running it at 1.2v at the toxic OC of 970/1400 lol.

So should i return the reference diamond and wait for a toxic to come back in stock =/
post #506 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

thanks for the info smile.gif my motherboard had some preset overclocks for my cpu. the highest was 3.6Ghz with no changes to the cpu multiplier or voltage. i just bumped the cpu multiplier from 16 to 16.5 and it gave me 3.7Ghz which is stable with prime95. i haven't learned enough about overclocking cpu's yet so i was hoping to just get away with multiplier bumps from this point on. ive read around so much about the voltage for these things though and its hard to work out what is actually the max these are safe at. ive seen a few people say that amd state that up to 1.5v is ok, but i cant find this info on amd's website so im not sure i trust it. good luck with your overclock though and post back with results ay smile.gif ive had enough for one day with all the messing around with my 6950! so i think i'll wait until tomorrow to mess with my cpu tongue.gif

1.400v is stock voltage. 1.500 is the maximum I will go for a 24/7 overclock. 1.550 is safe for limited usage/benching. You really have to watch the temps on these chips. AMD state's that 62c is the max safe thermal limit of the chip, I have found that stability becomes an issue around in the 50's. I have had the best results with my chip staying in the 40c range. I dont like my 955 to get to 50c. You can PM me if you would like some help on overclocking your CPU safely for gaming useage:) good luck!
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #507 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by azianai View Post

So i bought a 2nd Reference 6950 (Diamond HD 6950) and crossfired it to my Toxic
only when im looking in GPU-Z do i realize these 2 cards have differences besides the shaders.
374
Also the reference card cannot take the 1.2 volts the toxic can lol, i actually burned out a card running it at 1.2v at the toxic OC of 970/1400 lol.
So should i return the reference diamond and wait for a toxic to come back in stock =/

sorry dubble post:(

Anyway, a stock out of box toxic 6950 will out perform any out of box 6970 on the market, as you start to overclock and tweak the TOXIC 6950 it gets much much better. If you want the best performance you should wait for another toxic. other 6950's/6970's just fail in comparison. Many toxics will run with a 580 GTX after proper tweaking and overclocking. I love mine to death! can't wait for a second one!
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #508 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

1.400v is stock voltage. 1.500 is the maximum I will go for a 24/7 overclock. 1.550 is safe for limited usage/benching. You really have to watch the temps on these chips. AMD state's that 62c is the max safe thermal limit of the chip, I have found that stability becomes an issue around in the 50's. I have had the best results with my chip staying in the 40c range. I dont like my 955 to get to 50c. You can PM me if you would like some help on overclocking your CPU safely for gaming useage:) good luck!

thanks man i appreciate it smile.gif
post #509 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

Congrats on your unlock:) how dose it feel to have a $350+ GPU power for $280?

Your next step is to see if your card is thorttling. If so you need the +20% modd and then to OC that beast! Good luck!

Thanks!. It feels very good, especially as the build was aiming for a value-for-money gaming rig that could handle BF3/Skyrim.
Also its because of this thread that I finally chose the Toxic vs the twin frozr III.

I'm waiting for the weekend to do a bunch of overclocking/benchmarking tests. I'll make sure to post the results here!.
post #510 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraklis View Post

Thanks!. It feels very good, especially as the build was aiming for a value-for-money gaming rig that could handle BF3/Skyrim.
Also its because of this thread that I finally chose the Toxic vs the twin frozr III.
I'm waiting for the weekend to do a bunch of overclocking/benchmarking tests. I'll make sure to post the results here!.

same as me. glad i went with the toxic in the end smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Sapphire TOXIC HD-6950/70 Owners Club & Informational Thread