Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › ASUS laptop problem and solution - spontaneously shuts off - EDIT: PARTIAL solution.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASUS laptop problem and solution - spontaneously shuts off - EDIT: PARTIAL solution.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi overclockers. I want to share with you a problem and solution to my new ASUS laptop.

I bought an ASUS laptop from ASUS.

When I tried to play S***U (Star Wars The Force Unleashed), a game known to be very graphics-intensive and that could not run smoothly on my previous laptop, my new ASUS laptop entirely shut off spontaneously as though I had shut off the power. I then noticed it had the same probelm when I tried to run COD4 (Call of Duty 4), which should not have had any issues since it does not require much resources to run smoothly.

I thought I had a bricked laptop. Fortunately, I was wrong.

SOLUTION:
On my own intuitive research (ASUS support was absolutely no help), I discovered that the official ASUS charger that should have come with the laptop was not the charger included in my box. The ASUS charger that came with my laptop was 3.34 amps. The original charger is over 6 amps. When I bought a new OEM (original) charger ($20), I discovered that the original charger is literally twice as large and heavy as the one that came with the laptop when I bought it.

I see why ASUS would have not included this gigantic charger if at all possible. However, the "travel" charger, as I am deciding to call it, does not provide enough amps to power my high-performance NVIDIA GPU (graphics card) (my GPU is a 550M). So, the small (well, normal-size) charger that it came with, was enough to power the laptop but not enough to power the GPU.

Additionally, ASUS sent the wrong battery, which did not fit. That was the reason I suspected the charger may have been wrong also. So I was running with no battery, only the charger until the new battery arrives. Since the charger was not sufficient to power the laptop when using a significant amount of the GPU, and there was no battery as a sort of "backup power"; then as a result, when I needed more power to be drawn to support the GPU, there was not enough power and the end result was that:
lack of power = no power for laptop = laptop spontaneously shuts off.
It had the effect of unplugging the cord to your laptop if no battery is inserted.

Hence, the solution is to use that gigantic essentially non-portable original charger when doing anything that will be using a significant amount of GPU resources. On the other hand, I am happy that I also the charger it came with, that I can carry around with me and that is a normal size and weight, as opposed to the other unreasonably large and heavy original charger.

UPDATE:
So I received both my new charger and my new battery yesterday. Turns out that although while running on the new charger it does not shut off spontaneously anymore, I immediately noticed that if I unplug my charger while doing something graphics-intensive - in this case, running folding@home - the laptop shuts off spontaneously, even though the battery is full. So apparently the battery itself doesn't give enough power to the GPU. This is either an issue with my specific laptop or it is a design flaw. I think it is a problem with my specific laptop. I doubt ASUS could get away with selling a model that shut off when trying to do anything resource-intensive on battery power.
Edited by everplexmedia - 10/23/11 at 10:50pm
ASUS N53SN-XR2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM 2.0GHz turbo 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel HM65 Graphics: GT 550M 2048MB@1480 MHz, Nvidia Optimus 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Momentus 750GB 7200rpm + 2cdHDD 1TB WD ScorpioBlue Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Slim&Fast Everplex Edition LED Screen HD Kensington Blue Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS N53SN-XR2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM 2.0GHz turbo 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel HM65 Graphics: GT 550M 2048MB@1480 MHz, Nvidia Optimus 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Momentus 750GB 7200rpm + 2cdHDD 1TB WD ScorpioBlue Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Slim&Fast Everplex Edition LED Screen HD Kensington Blue Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by everplexmedia;15414967 
Hi overclockers. I want to share with you a problem and solution to my new ASUS laptop.

I bought an ASUS laptop from ASUS.

When I tried to play S***U (Star Wars The Force Unleashed), a game known to be very graphics-intensive and that could not run smoothly on my previous laptop, my new ASUS laptop entirely shut off spontaneously as though I had shut off the power. I then noticed it had the same probelm when I tried to run COD4 (Call of Duty 4), which should not have had any issues since it does not require much resources to run smoothly.

I thought I had a bricked laptop. Fortunately, I was wrong.

SOLUTION:
On my own intuitive research (ASUS support was absolutely no help), I discovered that the official ASUS charger that should have come with the laptop was not the charger included in my box. The ASUS charger that came with my laptop was 3.34 amps. The original charger is over 6 amps. When I bought a new OEM (original) charger ($20), I discovered that the original charger is literally twice as large and heavy as the one that came with the laptop when I bought it.

I see why ASUS would have not included this gigantic charger if at all possible. However, the "travel" charger, as I am deciding to call it, does not provide enough amps to power my high-performance NVIDIA GPU (graphics card) (my GPU is a 550M). So, the small (well, normal-size) charger that it came with, was enough to power the laptop but not enough to power the GPU.

Additionally, ASUS sent the wrong battery, which did not fit. That was the reason I suspected the charger may have been wrong also. So I was running with no battery, only the charger until the new battery arrives. Since the charger was not sufficient to power the laptop when using a significant amount of the GPU, and there was no battery as a sort of "backup power"; then as a result, when I needed more power to be drawn to support the GPU, there was not enough power and the end result was that:
lack of power = no power for laptop = laptop spontaneously shuts off.
It had the effect of unplugging the cord to your laptop if no battery is inserted.

Hence, the solution is to use that gigantic essentially non-portable original charger when doing anything that will be using a significant amount of GPU resources. On the other hand, I am happy that I also the charger it came with, that I can carry around with me and that is a normal size and weight, as opposed to the other unreasonably large and heavy original charger.

Who did you get it from, you cannot get laptops from ASUS directly from my knowledge, so it sounds like the seller who sold it to you goofed up.
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes;15415334 
Who did you get it from, you cannot get laptops from ASUS directly from my knowledge, so it sounds like the seller who sold it to you goofed up.

Well of course I did buy it from a distributor, because you are right you cannot buy direct from ASUS; but it was completely sealed. It was the charger that came with the laptop direct from ASUS. Furthermore, the distributor who I bought it from was the one who paid for the correct charger. They told me that ASUS vehemently required them not to open the package under any circumstances. Judging by the fact that I am the one who opened the package, I can assure you it was not tampered with by the distributor. smile.gif
Edited by everplexmedia - 10/22/11 at 8:40pm
ASUS N53SN-XR2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM 2.0GHz turbo 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel HM65 Graphics: GT 550M 2048MB@1480 MHz, Nvidia Optimus 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Momentus 750GB 7200rpm + 2cdHDD 1TB WD ScorpioBlue Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Slim&Fast Everplex Edition LED Screen HD Kensington Blue Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS N53SN-XR2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM 2.0GHz turbo 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel HM65 Graphics: GT 550M 2048MB@1480 MHz, Nvidia Optimus 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Momentus 750GB 7200rpm + 2cdHDD 1TB WD ScorpioBlue Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Slim&Fast Everplex Edition LED Screen HD Kensington Blue Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Wow, I am over Asus as this point.

I work at a computer repair and retail shop and I bought an Asus laptop for one of my customers. One of the big selling points was a claimed run time of up to 9 hours on the battery. Well it was supposed to come with an 8 cell battery yet they shipped a 6 cell.

It has taken months and months of emails and calls and they keep having us jump through hoops. Supposedly we are on the verge of getting it after I actually tracked down the woman who provides the sales support to the wholesaler I bought from. We'll see if it actually comes.

Sad to see this is not an isolated incident. Asus support is garbage, plain and simple. The WORST I have ever dealt with in over 10 years in this industry. I know I will not be selling their products to my customers anytime soon.

EDIT: Just to be clear everyone makes mistakes. Its how a company handles their mistakes that really separates the winners from the losers and in this case Asus was the BIG loser.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer;15415708 
Wow, I am over Asus as this point.

I work at a computer repair and retail shop and I bought an Asus laptop for one of my customers. One of the big selling points was a claimed run time of up to 9 hours on the battery. Well it was supposed to come with an 8 cell battery yet they shipped a 6 cell.

It has taken months and months of emails and calls and they keep having us jump through hoops. Supposedly we are on the verge of getting it after I actually tracked down the woman who provides the sales support to the wholesaler I bought from. We'll see if it actually comes.

Sad to see this is not an isolated incident. Asus support is garbage, plain and simple. The WORST I have ever dealt with in over 10 years in this industry. I know I will not be selling their products to my customers anytime soon.

EDIT: Just to be clear everyone makes mistakes. Its how a company handles their mistakes that really separates the winners from the losers and in this case Asus was the BIG loser.

I am with you on that, some of their new models they are shipping out as new appear to be refurbs. Its appalling.
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Daddy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4970k ASUS Z97-A 2 x EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominators 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 1TB EVO SSD Corsair H80i Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG Swift M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex Pok3r Corsair 1200W Jonsbo UMX3 Mionix 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer;15415708 
Wow, I am over Asus as this point.

I work at a computer repair and retail shop and I bought an Asus laptop for one of my customers. One of the big selling points was a claimed run time of up to 9 hours on the battery. Well it was supposed to come with an 8 cell battery yet they shipped a 6 cell.

It has taken months and months of emails and calls and they keep having us jump through hoops. Supposedly we are on the verge of getting it after I actually tracked down the woman who provides the sales support to the wholesaler I bought from. We'll see if it actually comes.

Sad to see this is not an isolated incident. Asus support is garbage, plain and simple. The WORST I have ever dealt with in over 10 years in this industry. I know I will not be selling their products to my customers anytime soon.

EDIT: Just to be clear everyone makes mistakes. Its how a company handles their mistakes that really separates the winners from the losers and in this case Asus was the BIG loser.

I also deal with asus daily, and I have to say their service and support is god awful. I work with microcenter and we are Asus ASPs and they will just ignore our emails and calls and even decline us parts...

Its ridiculous. I would never purchase an asus computer except for the fact they offer some of the most powerful gaming laptops that are available through retail B/M stores. Otherwise look elsewhere.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
I have to agree, their support is awful. Fortunately I had a good seller who reimbursed me for both the laptop and the charger that I had to buy. Still no word from ASUS. They said something about the receipt being "illegible" - I did not have a physical receipt so I attached the paypal confirmation. It's BS they are just giving me the runaround in hopes I'll give up.
ASUS N53SN-XR2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM 2.0GHz turbo 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel HM65 Graphics: GT 550M 2048MB@1480 MHz, Nvidia Optimus 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Momentus 750GB 7200rpm + 2cdHDD 1TB WD ScorpioBlue Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Slim&Fast Everplex Edition LED Screen HD Kensington Blue Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS N53SN-XR2
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM 2.0GHz turbo 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel HM65 Graphics: GT 550M 2048MB@1480 MHz, Nvidia Optimus 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
Momentus 750GB 7200rpm + 2cdHDD 1TB WD ScorpioBlue Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Slim&Fast Everplex Edition LED Screen HD Kensington Blue Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › ASUS laptop problem and solution - spontaneously shuts off - EDIT: PARTIAL solution.