Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Worth waiting for Ivy or go SB?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worth waiting for Ivy or go SB?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Sup guys.

I've decided to run a Hackintosh, because after trying OSX I felt that it was superior to Windows and for my needs better.

I don't want to buy a Mac, because I think they're overpriced as hell, and also I love playing with hardware, so a Mac would be like a prison to me, literally.

Therefore I will build myself a Hackintosh, combined with a PowerMac G5 case modded for PC parts.

That was the introduction, now to the real stuff:

Ivy Bridge will be released sometime next year Q1-Q2? (Maybe even later if they have no competition from AMD?)

Will Ivy be worth waiting for if you only need the CPU performance and not the intergrated GPU? Also, do you guys think the low TDP will allow for higher clocking than current SB, or will it be something else but the temperature limiting the OC?

So basically I need a powerful but price-worthy Intel system (not going for SB-E), and thinking about Ivy, but don't know it it's worth waiting.

Discuss please, thank you.
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 16
Intel announced that they have Ivy Bridge in volume production, but cautioned that systems with Ivy Bridge processors won't be available until spring. It seems a bit early to be announcing volume production if launch is still planned for March-April, so the spring comment may just be Intel hedging their bets. The launch date really is hard to judge. Given that they announced Sandy Bridge was in volume production at the same time last year, the launch could be anywhere from early Q1 to "spring".

Ivy Bridge may bring some small IPC improvements, i.e. like from Conroe to Wolfdale, but it shouldn't be anything too significant.

There was a slide shown at anandtech a while back showing that Tri-Gate transistors provide a huge improvement at very low voltages, and much less of an improvement at higher operating voltages. At typical Sandy Bridge overclocking voltages like 1.3V, one could surmise that the curves would be pretty close together.



I suspect that the 22nm trigate process will provide some improvements in clocking ability over the 32nm planar process, but that they won't be as significant as some people are expecting. Why? 1. Because of the convergence of those curves at higher voltages, and 2. Because we'll probably see another drop in the safe operating voltage for the process before running into degradation. I'm sure Ivy Bridge processors will run much cooler than Sandy Bridge, but I wouldn't bet on commonplace >5 GHz 24/7 overclocks. (Hopefully I'm wrong). This would be due to voltage limitations, not heat output.

Personally I'd get Sandy Bridge now. I'd only wait for Ivy Bridge if you want to set up a really silent system, or if electrical costs are a significant concern.
post #3 of 16
Ivy isn't going to be delayed. They already delayed it from a january launch so march is when we'll see the quad core models.

Should you wait? No

Why? Because a 2500K is more then enough. Yes a 3500K will be faster but not by that much.
post #4 of 16
i wouldn't wait for some untested hardware..i've made that mistake recently ..trying to keep someone else from doing the same..
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Yes is not worth to wait if you already have a sandy bridge, but for users like me, is worth the time, until march
PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 3770K @4.5Ghz (Multiplier OC) 1... MSI Z77A-GD65 [10.10 BIOS] MSi GTX 980 GAMING + MX4 @1544mhz/1.262v; +450M... Geil Black Dragon 4x4Gb 1866Mhz [XMP] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb [AHCI] Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 10586.420 (FPP/retail key) BenQ XL2411T [Dual-Link DVI, 144Hz] AUO M24HW01... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 [green switches] Enermax Revolution 87+ 750W and APC Back-UPS 950VA Phanteks Evolv Atx Tempered Glass Black + ATX 2... Razer Mamba 2015 Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QcK Mini Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 3770K @4.5Ghz (Multiplier OC) 1... MSI Z77A-GD65 [10.10 BIOS] MSi GTX 980 GAMING + MX4 @1544mhz/1.262v; +450M... Geil Black Dragon 4x4Gb 1866Mhz [XMP] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb [AHCI] Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 10586.420 (FPP/retail key) BenQ XL2411T [Dual-Link DVI, 144Hz] AUO M24HW01... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 [green switches] Enermax Revolution 87+ 750W and APC Back-UPS 950VA Phanteks Evolv Atx Tempered Glass Black + ATX 2... Razer Mamba 2015 Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QcK Mini Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Wait for Ivy...
post #7 of 16
i say buy now and play now.
24/7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 5g @ 1.4 Maximus IV evga 580 x2 XMS 
Hard DrivePowerCase
intel 510 AX850 Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
24/7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 5g @ 1.4 Maximus IV evga 580 x2 XMS 
Hard DrivePowerCase
intel 510 AX850 Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
Also, you can get SB now and upgrade the CPU when Ivy bridge comes out. You will only loose a few bucks buy selling the cpu you get now.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplnpsb View Post
Intel announced that they have Ivy Bridge in volume production, but cautioned that systems with Ivy Bridge processors won't be available until spring. It seems a bit early to be announcing volume production if launch is still planned for March-April, so the spring comment may just be Intel hedging their bets. The launch date really is hard to judge. Given that they announced Sandy Bridge was in volume production at the same time last year, the launch could be anywhere from early Q1 to "spring".

Ivy Bridge may bring some small IPC improvements, i.e. like from Conroe to Wolfdale, but it shouldn't be anything too significant.

There was a slide shown at anandtech a while back showing that Tri-Gate transistors provide a huge improvement at very low voltages, and much less of an improvement at higher operating voltages. At typical Sandy Bridge overclocking voltages like 1.3V, one could surmise that the curves would be pretty close together.



I suspect that the 22nm trigate process will provide some improvements in clocking ability over the 32nm planar process, but that they won't be as significant as some people are expecting. Why? 1. Because of the convergence of those curves at higher voltages, and 2. Because we'll probably see another drop in the safe operating voltage for the process before running into degradation. I'm sure Ivy Bridge processors will run much cooler than Sandy Bridge, but I wouldn't bet on commonplace >5 GHz 24/7 overclocks. (Hopefully I'm wrong). This would be due to voltage limitations, not heat output.

Personally I'd get Sandy Bridge now. I'd only wait for Ivy Bridge if you want to set up a really silent system, or if electrical costs are a significant concern.
Wow, thanks for the information provided, REP+ for that.

Well electrical costs aren't something I care about for now (I'm not the one paying the bills lol).

And as I said I don't care about the integrated GPU either. And I enjoying OC'ing, so I would probably run the CPU at a high Voltage/Clock (withing safe marigins).

It's so freakin hard to decide what to do. I want my hackintosh up and running NOW, but I also wan't to make the best out of it.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Karnage View Post
Ivy isn't going to be delayed. They already delayed it from a january launch so march is when we'll see the quad core models.

Should you wait? No

Why? Because a 2500K is more then enough. Yes a 3500K will be faster but not by that much.
Well I'm not a gamer and I benefit a lot from HT so I would probably get the 2600K, question is how much better Ivy Bridge's answer to 2600k will be when comparing them clock to clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post
i wouldn't wait for some untested hardware..i've made that mistake recently ..trying to keep someone else from doing the same..
Been there done that! I'm so happy I didn't get a AM3+ as I was going to prior to the release

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster View Post
Wait for Ivy...
Also, you can get SB now and upgrade the CPU when Ivy bridge comes out. You will only loose a few bucks buy selling the cpu you get now.

Care to say why? What would the benefits be for me?

But there will also be a new chipset released with Ivy, no? Will Ivy fit in SB sockets just like some AM3 CPUs fits into AM2+ sockets? It work's , but you don't get the real deal.

Thanks
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
Slave
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Maximus Gene V iGPU HD 4000 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix 1600 Mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 x64 Dell U2412M Filco Majestouch 2 BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750w 
Case
Open on the desk lol 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
I would wait for Ivy. You already have a pretty good CPU. If you arent being bottlenecked right now by it why not wait? Looking between a 20-30% jump from the Intel press kits.
Afterburner
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme 4.5Ghz Asus X99 Pro SLI Titan Xp Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400 DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3X Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD 2TB Black DVD/RW Combo Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Dell 3415W 21:9 Das Keyboard Ultimate Corsair AX1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-A77FA Logitech G9x Evga Titan Signature Pad DT 990 Creative Ti HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Afterburner
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme 4.5Ghz Asus X99 Pro SLI Titan Xp Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400 DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3X Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD 2TB Black DVD/RW Combo Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Dell 3415W 21:9 Das Keyboard Ultimate Corsair AX1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-A77FA Logitech G9x Evga Titan Signature Pad DT 990 Creative Ti HD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Worth waiting for Ivy or go SB?