Overclock.net banner

ONLY 8mb of RAM free!?

431 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  matty0610 
#1 ·
Hey
I have an issue with my PC and as the title says task manager is only showing 8mb of RAM as free. All i was doing was using Firefox and downloading a game on Steam. I have 8GB of ram installed in my pc and it shows that around 6.5GB is available but only 8mb free.
i just got a SSD and did the firefox tweak where it uses the ram as cache instead of the drive, could this be the issue? i dont think this is the cause because firefox was using 150mb of RAM.
any ideas?
ive attached a screenie of task manager

See less See more
#2 ·
It shows 8GB and just over 6GB available. You technically have 6GB+ free for use, it's just that no matter how much memory you have windows caches it.

#4 ·
You have 6 gb available.

E-nina'd

#6 ·
thanks guys for the speedy replies, so no need to worry
is there a way to stop this caching or just leave it?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by A14M3D
View Post

thanks guys for the speedy replies, so no need to worry
is there a way to stop this caching or just leave it?

It is possible to turn it off. However, the caching improves your computers performance, and if it doesn't cause any issues I would just leave it turned on.

#8 ·
if its caching more than i have, is it caching to my SSD wasting space?

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A14M3D;15422264
if its caching more than i have, is it caching to my SSD wasting space?
Windows uses whats called super fetch. That is what is doing the caching. Super fetch works by taking the files that are used the most and having them on stand by. Super fetch only works on your RAM. You can also plug in a USB 2.0 flash drive that has the appropriate read write speeds and enable ready boost which will use the flash drive as ram. But your SSD is fine. Windows knows what its doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.