Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016) - Page 3

post #21 of 576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerOfLive;15434083 
Is this good for just updating drivers as well?

It is the main reason why i made the guide, for when someone wants to update drivers with a clean install.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW;15434123 
It is the main reason why i made the guide, for when someone wants to update drivers with a clean install.

Ahh okie doke, thanks biggrin.gif.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Asus ROG Strix Z370 - E Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC G.Skill 16GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Samsung 840 Sata Some other standard hard drives Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Asus PG279Q 165Hz IPS GSync Corsair K70 Lux Quickfire FSP Hydro G 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Razer Deatfhadder Elite Corsair Gaming somethingorother 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Asus ROG Strix Z370 - E Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC G.Skill 16GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Samsung 840 Sata Some other standard hard drives Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Asus PG279Q 165Hz IPS GSync Corsair K70 Lux Quickfire FSP Hydro G 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Razer Deatfhadder Elite Corsair Gaming somethingorother 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerOfLive;15434156 
Ahh okie doke, thanks biggrin.gif.

No problem matey!
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 576
Here's my instructions for updating drivers in any scenario except when you swap ATI/NV cards, or rollback to old drivers:

1) Run the latest driver package, selecting 'Clean Install' option,
2) Reboot when it's done, even though you may not be told to,
3) Game On!

I been doing this for like 10 years (which means literally hundreds and hundreds of times) every time I install newer drivers (and prior to the 'Clean Install' option in the Forceware, I simply uninstalled the current drivers first via CP and restarted before installing the newest drivers).

It has literally never failed to work 100% perfectly for me.

The only reason I'd ever resort to anything more complicated (such as the instructions in this thread) is if I was switching from ATI to nV, OR if I wanted to install an OLD driver package, one that I knew was fundamentally different like a 100-series driver vs. a 200-series driver.

And Bradley, it's the forum Editors that decide stickies, not the Moderators. I don't recall who's section this is, but I believe it's this gentleman.

Edit: I would also add that if you REALLY and truly want to get rid of your nV drivers completely from a particular install (call it install 1), you ALSO need to have a separate install (install 2) that you can boot into. From install 2, you then have to go into the system32 folder of install 1 and remove the all the files named nv* that have nVidia corporation as their author.

In my experience, these files, which are your ACTUAL in-use driver files, cannot be removed if you're actually logged into the same install, not even in safe mode, and not even by driver sweeper wink.gif

There's also I believe a drivercache folder somewhere in the Windows folder hierarchy that you'd have to remove the driver files from as well if you want to be 100% rid of them, but I believe if you do the uninstall through Forceware you remove the registry pointers to these files, so they should be basically rendered useless even w/o physically deleting them.
Edited by brettjv - 10/24/11 at 4:18pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv;15439160 
Here's my instructions for updating drivers in any scenario except when you swap ATI/NV cards, or rollback to old drivers:

1) Run the latest driver package, selecting 'Clean Install' option,
2) Reboot when it's done, even though you may not be told to,
3) Game On!

I been doing this for like 10 years (which means literally hundreds and hundreds of times) every time I install newer drivers (and prior to the 'Clean Install' option in the Forceware, I simply uninstalled the current drivers first via CP and restarted before installing the newest drivers).

It has literally never failed to work 100% perfectly for me.

The only reason I'd ever resort to anything more complicated (such as the instructions in this thread) is if I was switching from ATI to nV, OR if I wanted to install an OLD driver package, one that I knew was fundamentally different like a 100-series driver vs. a 200-series driver.

And Bradley, it's the forum Editors that decide stickies, not the Moderators. I don't recall who's section this is, but I believe it's this gentleman.

Edit: I would also add that if you REALLY and truly want to get rid of your nV drivers completely from a particular install (call it install 1), you ALSO need to have a separate install (install 2) that you can boot into. From install 2, you then have to go into the system32 folder of install 1 and remove the all the files named nv* that have nVidia corporation as their author.

In my experience, these files, which are your ACTUAL in-use driver files, cannot be removed if you're actually logged into the same install, not even in safe mode, and not even by driver sweeper wink.gif

There's also I believe a drivercache folder somewhere in the Windows folder hierarchy that you'd have to remove the driver files from as well if you want to be 100% rid of them, but I believe if you do the uninstall through Forceware you remove the registry pointers to these files, so they should be basically rendered useless even w/o physically deleting them.

My method has been proven to fix some peoples issues so it's up to who ever wants to give my method a shot.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 576
Well I did it and well my computer hasn't exploded once, let alone BSOD or crash when I benched it for a few hours. Also overclocked the card a bit and it is still stable, so I have to say THANKS! biggrin.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Asus ROG Strix Z370 - E Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC G.Skill 16GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Samsung 840 Sata Some other standard hard drives Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Asus PG279Q 165Hz IPS GSync Corsair K70 Lux Quickfire FSP Hydro G 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Razer Deatfhadder Elite Corsair Gaming somethingorother 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Asus ROG Strix Z370 - E Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC G.Skill 16GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Samsung 840 Sata Some other standard hard drives Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Asus PG279Q 165Hz IPS GSync Corsair K70 Lux Quickfire FSP Hydro G 850w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Razer Deatfhadder Elite Corsair Gaming somethingorother 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 576
I actually used your AMD driver removal method when I was switching from NV to AMD since this guide wasn't out at the time. Really helpful as driver sweeper has screwed me over too many times to keep track of.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6800k Evga Micro2 Evga GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200mhz (one of the stup... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 750 800gb Samsung 950 Pro 256gb with AngelWing PX1 PCIE h... Lol Corsair H80i v2 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Home 64bit CentOS 7 (in VM) Dell u2311h Dell u2311h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold FC660C Silverstone 700 sfx-l Platinum thing Silverstone FT03B Logitech MX Master 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Oppo HA2 Sony XBA Z5 Blue Yeti Microphone Asus USB-AC68 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 asus p7p55d-e pro EVGA gtx 460 Gskill ripjaws CL9 4gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black Zalman CNPS10x Performa Windows 7 Ultimate OEM Samsung 223BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft ergonomics 7000 Corsair 750tx AZZA Solano 1000 Some thing 
Mouse PadAudio
some generic thing Creative Sound Blaster Arena 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6800k Evga Micro2 Evga GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200mhz (one of the stup... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 750 800gb Samsung 950 Pro 256gb with AngelWing PX1 PCIE h... Lol Corsair H80i v2 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Home 64bit CentOS 7 (in VM) Dell u2311h Dell u2311h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold FC660C Silverstone 700 sfx-l Platinum thing Silverstone FT03B Logitech MX Master 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Oppo HA2 Sony XBA Z5 Blue Yeti Microphone Asus USB-AC68 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 asus p7p55d-e pro EVGA gtx 460 Gskill ripjaws CL9 4gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black Zalman CNPS10x Performa Windows 7 Ultimate OEM Samsung 223BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft ergonomics 7000 Corsair 750tx AZZA Solano 1000 Some thing 
Mouse PadAudio
some generic thing Creative Sound Blaster Arena 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 576
This is the way to go. Installing a newer driver over an older version on my machine, no matter what version, it breaks my sli, to the point i can't enable it and only one card is used, i don't know why but every time this happens.
When i use this method and clean install, everything works fine.

Using driver cleaners actually forced me to reinstall windows during the bf3 beta.

You can add me as a testimonial ... smile.gif

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700K Delidded 5.0Ghz Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GamingK5 EVGA GTX1080FTW.Hybrid.Scythe GT/AP-15 P/P 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage Black 2800CL13 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 TTWater 360mm w/ Corsair Sp120PWMs 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz GSync Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 Corsair AX750 Corsair Carbide 600C Inverse 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma ALC1220 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700K Delidded 5.0Ghz Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GamingK5 EVGA GTX1080FTW.Hybrid.Scythe GT/AP-15 P/P 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage Black 2800CL13 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 TTWater 360mm w/ Corsair Sp120PWMs 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz GSync Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 Corsair AX750 Corsair Carbide 600C Inverse 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma ALC1220 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerOfLive;15441507 
Well I did it and well my computer hasn't exploded once, let alone BSOD or crash when I benched it for a few hours. Also overclocked the card a bit and it is still stable, so I have to say THANKS! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykerv;15441572 
I actually used your AMD driver removal method when I was switching from NV to AMD since this guide wasn't out at the time. Really helpful as driver sweeper has screwed me over too many times to keep track of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK;15450567 
This is the way to go. Installing a newer driver over an older version on my machine, no matter what version, it breaks my sli, to the point i can't enable it and only one card is used, i don't know why but every time this happens.
When i use this method and clean install, everything works fine.

Using driver cleaners actually forced me to reinstall windows during the bf3 beta.

You can add me as a testimonial ... smile.gif

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

Thank you for your input and support.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 576
Will be giving this method a go later on today when my cards get back from RMA!
Azura
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k - Stock ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer EVGA 980 Ti SC 16GB G Skill Rijpaws @ 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB > Samsung 850 Pro 25... Windows 10 64bit Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Enthoo Primo Logitech G600 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Azura
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k - Stock ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer EVGA 980 Ti SC 16GB G Skill Rijpaws @ 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB > Samsung 850 Pro 25... Windows 10 64bit Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Enthoo Primo Logitech G600 Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016)