Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › True 5.1 headphones for <$400 ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

True 5.1 headphones for <$400 ? - Page 4

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
yes, you're right. What I think of when I think of soundstaging is the width of the soundstage or imaging. This was what was important to me, because I bought the 880s to be used for gaming as well. I really wanted to be able to pick out exactly where footsteps are coming from.

Also, I'm using the '03 DT880s, which I bought over the '05s at the time because it was reported that the '03s had better soundstaging. Don't know if this influences my opinions on the matter.

The vertical positioning and depth of the soundstage are fine, but the soundstage width is really the standout aspect of the 880s as a whole.

As for my PSU, I bought it for $60 when it was getting discontinued, which is quite a steal considering the proxtream 1000w will beat many $200+ PSUs. Actually, I bought 10 of them for that reason
Edited by mechtech - 10/26/11 at 5:21pm
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtsd View Post
EDIT: Mechtech: I'm going with the FiiO E9 for an amp.
A did about an hour of research looking for proper amp/DAC pairings for the 880s, and this is what I ended up with.

(Also, amp choices are a matter of opinion, so I would expect differing opinions!)

To start out, I'd recommend a uDAC2-HP over the e9. They're similar products and I looked at both, but I was specifically looking at how these products sounded when used with DT880s (and 990s/770s, as the sound profile is at least somewhat similar). Make sure to get the uDAC2-HP version, as it has a better amp stage.

The uDAC's integrated amp component is decent, but it isn't ideal, and it certainly won't properly drive a 600 ohm pair of headphones, so keep that in mind.

The Amp I'd recommend is the Darkvoice 337, which is a warm amp that will bring out the bass of the 880s. This amp is is reported to pair very well with Beyer products. This is a tube amp, and will certainly drive the 600 ohm version. That said, I wouldn't buy the 600 ohm version unless you want to buy a decent amp like this right off the bat. Small integrated amps will leave the 600 ohm version's volume and bass sorely lacking, to reiterate that point.

The Meier line of amps are also recommended, but these are very high end and pricey products. Meier amps are basically designed for Beyerdynamic headphones.

The high end DAC that I'd recommend is the Meier DAC.

So to recap, I'd recommend the uDAC2. When you get around to it, get the Darkvoice 337 and switch the uDAC2 to line out so that the amp section of the uDAC2 is bypassed (it actually has a very capable DAC section). The next step in the upgrade chain would be to replace the uDAC2 with a Meier DAC.

I'm using an '03 version of DT880s, so I think long term These headphones will last decades! (unlike my pair of "5.1" headphones which lasted 2.5 years)


Udac2-HP: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._sku=524800795


When your ear pads wear out, get these: http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/beyerpads.php
Edited by mechtech - 10/26/11 at 5:19pm
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
DW, I started when I was looking for a gaming headphone a few years back
The DT880 is considered the best model in the beyerdynamic DT series thus price. (Don't get me started on how beyerdynamic product names it's products lols).

This might help for the subjective terms:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
Thanks! I think I'll get the DT990 for now. I'm sure it'll sound way better than my JVC HA-RX900 lol. I'll upgrade to a better (read pricey) pair of headphones sometime next year when I've saved up enough again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
A did about an hour of research looking for proper amp/DAC pairings for the 880s, and this is what I ended up with.

(Also, amp choices are a matter of opinion, so I would expect differing opinions!)

To start out, I'd recommend a uDAC2-HP over the e9. They're similar products and I looked at both, but I was specifically looking at how these products sounded when used with DT880s (and 990s/770s, as the sound profile is at least somewhat similar). Make sure to get the uDAC2-HP version, as it has a better amp stage.

The uDAC's integrated amp component is decent, but it isn't ideal, and it certainly won't properly drive a 600 ohm pair of headphones, so keep that in mind.

The Amp I'd recommend is the Darkvoice 337, which is a warm amp that will bring out the bass of the 880s. This amp is is reported to pair very well with Beyer products. This is a tube amp, and will certainly drive the 600 ohm version. That said, I wouldn't buy the 600 ohm version unless you want to buy a decent amp like this right off the bat. Small integrated amps will leave the 600 ohm version's volume and bass sorely lacking, to reiterate that point.

The Meier line of amps are also recommended, but these are very high end and pricey products. Meier amps are basically designed for Beyerdynamic headphones.

The high end DAC that I'd recommend is the Meier DAC.

So to recap, I'd recommend the uDAC2. When you get around to it, get the Darkvoice 337 and switch the uDAC2 to line out so that the amp section of the uDAC2 is bypassed (it actually has a very capable DAC section). The next step in the upgrade chain would be to replace the uDAC2 with a Meier DAC.

I'm using an '03 version of DT880s, so I think long term These headphones will last decades! (unlike my pair of "5.1" headphones which lasted 2.5 years)


Udac2-HP: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._sku=524800795


When your ear pads wear out, get these: http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/beyerpads.php
Ok so I'll get the Udac2-HP for now, and upgrade to the pricey ones later
Riggity Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 SLI 2x MSI GTX560 Ti 2GB SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex2 Seagate Barracuda XT LG Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2353VP-PF Glossy Black 23" 5ms [1920x1080] Logitech G510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master ATCS 840 with Custom Side Panel 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Everglide Titan Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Riggity Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 SLI 2x MSI GTX560 Ti 2GB SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex2 Seagate Barracuda XT LG Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2353VP-PF Glossy Black 23" 5ms [1920x1080] Logitech G510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master ATCS 840 with Custom Side Panel 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Everglide Titan Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtsd View Post
I'll upgrade to a better (read pricey) pair of headphones sometime next year when I've saved up enough again
"welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet"

Try not to get sucked into the "more expensive is better camp" though, it's dangerous! The 880s/990s are headphones that many people settle on long term, they can trade blows with all but the very very top end headphones. I would personally take my 880s over any headphones.... other than the Beyerdynamic T1s or the Sennheiser 800s, and don't check the price on those!
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
"welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet"

Try not to get sucked into the "more expensive is better camp" though, it's dangerous! The 880s/990s are headphones that many people settle on long term, they can trade blows with all but the very very top end headphones. I would personally take my 880s over any headphones.... other than the Beyerdynamic T1s or the Sennheiser 800s, and don't check the price on those!
Haha. When I say expensive, I mean expensive compared to the cheap **** everyone else settles for, not the $1.5k products lol.
Riggity Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 SLI 2x MSI GTX560 Ti 2GB SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex2 Seagate Barracuda XT LG Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2353VP-PF Glossy Black 23" 5ms [1920x1080] Logitech G510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master ATCS 840 with Custom Side Panel 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Everglide Titan Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Riggity Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 SLI 2x MSI GTX560 Ti 2GB SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex2 Seagate Barracuda XT LG Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2353VP-PF Glossy Black 23" 5ms [1920x1080] Logitech G510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master ATCS 840 with Custom Side Panel 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Everglide Titan Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 38

I have these:


Logitech G930. Am I missing out on life or something?
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1 GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula Radeon HD 6990 / 6950 Trifire 16 GB G.Skill 1600 (4GB x 4) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x WD1600 7200 RPM Sata 3.0 | Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Samsung 24" Thermaltake TR2 1000W 
CaseMouse
Corsair 600T Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangible View Post
I have these: Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound: Electronics

Logitech G930. Am I missing out on life or something?
You will find that in this subforum, any headphones that aren't stereo are treated as a marketing gimmick. Everything that's recommended here is per quality, not per the advertised product description.
Riggity Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 SLI 2x MSI GTX560 Ti 2GB SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex2 Seagate Barracuda XT LG Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2353VP-PF Glossy Black 23" 5ms [1920x1080] Logitech G510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master ATCS 840 with Custom Side Panel 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Everglide Titan Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Riggity Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 EVGA x58 SLI 2x MSI GTX560 Ti 2GB SLI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ Vertex2 Seagate Barracuda XT LG Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2353VP-PF Glossy Black 23" 5ms [1920x1080] Logitech G510 Corsair HX850 Cooler Master ATCS 840 with Custom Side Panel 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G9x Everglide Titan Creative X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtsd View Post
Any particular reason why the DT990 (600OHM) sells for $20 less than the DT880 (600OHM)?

EDIT: Mechtech: I'm going with the FiiO E9 for an amp.

chinesekiwi: I read the article, and I'm still getting used to the terminology etc. Man I've been missing out on so much, I shouldn't even call myself an audiophile anymore till I reach your level of knowledge >_>
I would assume because the DT880 sells better than the DT990s.

Don't even bother trying to learn as much as Chinese Wikipedia over here. If I had to know as much as him to be an audiophile, I wouldn't be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

On a sidenote, mechtech's PSU is mindnumbing overkill.
Lol, invalidate his opinion by excess on PSU.
Edited by Simca - 10/27/11 at 4:55pm
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › True 5.1 headphones for <$400 ?