Overclock.net banner

First Build

917 views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  jannicaB 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what your guys's opinions are on my build,
this is the build,
Case: CM Storm Scout
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200RPM(I will be purchasing an SSD in the near future)
Monitor: Acer S23HLbid 23" 5ms 1920x1080, and two Envision EN7750 17" 1280x1024 for eyefinity(I will be upgrading when I have the money lol)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Video Card: XFX 2gb 6870(2gb version for eyefinity, if I need to; which I probably wont, I'll buy another one for crossfire)
CPU: AMD Phenom x6 1090t 6 core
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
PSU: Rosewill HIVE 750w Continuous, Modular 80+ Bronze
Wireless Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N300 N 300mbps download 150mbps upload

and I'm having trouble deciding which CPU cooler. I don't need anything too extravagant but I plan on some mild overclocking.

Thanks for the help lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
get thermaltake contac 29. great and silent. coolermaster hyper 212 seems to be on the same level.

you can add another fan to thermaltake contac 29. (12 cm fan).

this should set you well with air cooling.

but then again, you can also get a corsair water cooler. they have very cheap water coolers recently, and good value for money too.

#3 ·
The motherboard is awesome! It is what I have. The 1090T overclocks well with this mobo also and if AMD should square things away with their FX processors you will be ready. Have you considered this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833381023 as a wireless option?

This adapter rocks!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoshimoshi
View Post

I haven't really considered any usb wireless adapters, this might sound like a noob question but do they work as well as ones connected directly to the motherboard?

I guess depending on brand and quality and will very I am sure. But this wireless adapter I am using is just fantastic. It always has good signal, never has cut off on me or anything. I do notice a better signal quality than my laptop that had a built in one. I was hesitant at first to buy this but man I am glad i did.

EDIT: Forget what I just said because I just realize you meant a DIRECT connection. I missed it somehow. I wouldn't worry about the wireless if you are going to put the computer right where the connection is. My bad. But if you want to go wireless than that adapter is awesome.

#7 ·
You really sure you wanna go AMD? a 2500k system would be only a few $ more, and be better in most cases...

Anyway, pci-e wireless adapters are best, since all usb devices on the system share bandwidth. definitely get an adapter with replaceable antennas.
If you are far away from the router though, the usb one might be the better choice. Since you would have more control on where you place the antenna and the one gabead posted has a good antenna and high transmit power. TBH i just don't like the clutter USB adapters create.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by unity100
View Post

get thermaltake contac 29. great and silent. coolermaster hyper 212 seems to be on the same level.

you can add another fan to thermaltake contac 29. (12 cm fan).

this should set you well with air cooling.

but then again, you can also get a corsair water cooler. they have very cheap water coolers recently, and good value for money too.

you can add another fan to the 212+ also...

#9 ·
that ring is for gamming? I will assume that.

You should get a better VGA, u won't need 6 cores. You will get the same gamming performance performance with a phenom x4. Grab a phenom 955 and a good cooler, u can do 3.7 - 3.9 very easy, and change the vga for a 6950
Or u can go for a 2500k. Phenom x6 is not a good idea

If u won't do Crossfire as u said, why do u need a 990fx mother?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrake88
View Post

You should get a better VGA, u won't need 6 cores. You will get the same gamming performance performance with a phenom x4. Grab a phenom 955 and a good cooler, u can do 3.7 - 3.9 very easy, and change the vga for a 6950

He did say "probably won't" at least he will have the option to later if he changes his mind.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrake88
View Post

I chose the 990fx and the Phenom x6 to more or less future-proof my system. Right now most games don't take advantage of the two extra cores but in the future they will.
As for the 990 I wont be running crossfire at first but as games become more demanding I think I will. Sorry for not mentioning that in the original post.
Thanks for the input though, I really appreciate it.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermaltake
View Post

Instead of that Seagate. Get a Samsung F3 1tb, they show better performance.

Yeah that's what I was originally planning on getting, but then it went out of stock on Newegg. D:
and now the Barracuda is out of stock too.

#14 ·
I vote for xigmatek gaia, I prefer its mounting system over the hyper212's. the contac 29's mounting is just pitiful, wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If you look in reviews, you might see the hyper 212+ getting lower temps than the gaia, but that is because it has a much more powerful(and louder) fan.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertymac93
View Post

I vote for xigmatek gaia, I prefer its mounting system over the hyper212's. the contac 29's mounting is just pitiful, wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If you look in reviews, you might see the hyper 212+ getting lower temps than the gaia, but that is because it has a much more powerful(and louder) fan.

agreed hyper 212+ mounting blows...but the fan isnt too loud

ALSO OP when you do go get an SSD get a crucial...but dont wait too long

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

Could I still mount an additional fan on the Gaia if needed?

#19 ·
Yes the gaia supports two fans, it even comes with the extra rubber mounting pins in the box. however, it does not benefit much from a second fan due to its low fin density and shallow design. it was designed to be quiet and cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabead
View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106150

This is also a great cpu cooler.

The frio is an excellent cooler, and even comes with two fans. If the OP was planning on using dual fans on the gaia or 212+, I recommend getting the frio instead since it was designed for dual fans.

#21 ·
It depends on how much money you want to spend. Anything more than a gaia is unnecessary unless you plan on really high overclocks. the extra $25 is better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoshimoshi
View Post

So should I go with the Gaia or the Frio?

Well, I have my 1090T overclocked at 4.0 GHz and have my FRIO at 1400 RPMs and on full load testing I hit about 51C and that is on all 6 cores! At 1400 RPMs is very quite as well, but this thing can go up to 2600 RPMs.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabead
View Post

Well, I have my 1090T overclocked at 4.0 GHz and have my FRIO at 1400 RPMs and on full load testing I hit about 51C and that is on all 6 cores! At 1400 RPMs is very quite as well, but this thing can go up to 2600 RPMs.

I can imagine at 2600rpm that would be unbearably loud for me. i have my gaia set to 1300rpm and barely hit 49c after half an hour of prime, And that is in a room at 32C(90F). Anything under 60c is fine. I realize my cpu puts out quite a bit less heat since you are overclocked and i am undervolted
I wanted a cheap and quiet rig and that is exactly what i have.

• Rep+
Reactions: gabead
#25 ·
Quote:

View Post

I can imagine at 2600rpm that would be unbearably loud for me. i have my gaia set to 1300rpm and barely hit 49c after half an hour of prime, And that is in a room at 32C(90F). Anything under 60c is fine. I realize my cpu puts out quite a bit less heat since you are overclocked and i am undervolted
I wanted a cheap and quiet rig and that is exactly what i have.

You are exactly right. I had a Thermaltake Spinq. It was loud at 1400 rpm because it used 80mm fans. It did not cool as well either. I definitely don't plan going the 2600 rpm route lol it would be two loud for me as well. I love the fact that I got a much cooler results with 2 bigger and quieter fans. I also personally think you get a better temp with a mount setup with a cpu cooler rather than the clipping things that comes with the cpu coolers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.