Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club - Page 243

post #2421 of 9814
anybody here using a Raystorm on LGA 2011?
Any comments?
post #2422 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

anybody here using a Raystorm on LGA 2011?
Any comments?


Martin noticed the extreme bow on xspc blocks. It causes a larger differentiation in temps across the cores. Bottom of page...

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/03/12/i7-3930k-cpu-xspc-raystorm-copper/6/
Edited by tsm106 - 8/23/12 at 9:25am
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2423 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

anybody here using a Raystorm on LGA 2011?
Any comments?
Here is a realtemp readout from 10 mins of prime. There is a 5C difference between colder and hotter core, as tsm106 mentioned.

Taken on 25C ambient, no HT, Vcore 1.288
post #2424 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior1986 View Post

Yep, everything is set to auto. The Vcore at full load though is only 1.3V.

There's your problem then. Reseating might not help much, unless there was something wrong with the first time. But yeah we're comparing temps for 4.1Ghz, but with manually set voltages, especially Vcore. 1.3v is pretty high, especially for only 3.8Ghz. I never run 3.8, I'm always using my 4.1Ghz profile, and for 4.1 I only need 1.22v. You should try lowering your Vcore as low as possible, it will help greatly with temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post


Now for my real test: gaming!

How'd testing go? Speaking of gaming... I noticed you also have a 680 Lightning. Best card on the market thumb.gif But yeah I let my recent attempt at low voltages for my CPU/mobo spread to my GPUs. The one Lightning does 1350mhz on the stock voltage, so I decided to drop it a bit, to -31mv. After half an hour of folding temps dropped by 6C, from 57C to 51C. So, just a suggestion if you want to try it out smile.gif

So, this may be a stupid question. But will low voltages affect anything performance-wise? I've had consistent PPD for a while now. And with the same WU I've been getting for a while, PPD seems to have dropped about ~20,000 or so. I know there's a lot of variables, but I've looked on and off for the past day or 2 and I can tell it's low. GPUs are the same PP they've been, and nothing else has been changed, neither hardware nor software-wise, except lowering many CPU/mobo voltages. I haven't had any crashes, and everything has been running as stable as it's always been.
Edited by dph314 - 8/23/12 at 6:11pm
My Only Hobby
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Rampage IV Extreme EVGA 980Ti SC 16GB Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 3TB 7200rpm H100 Windows 8.1 Acer XB240H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro Gold Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
My Only Hobby
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Rampage IV Extreme EVGA 980Ti SC 16GB Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 3TB 7200rpm H100 Windows 8.1 Acer XB240H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro Gold Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2425 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Martin noticed the extreme bow on xspc blocks. It causes a larger differentiation in temps across the cores. Bottom of page...
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/03/12/i7-3930k-cpu-xspc-raystorm-copper/6/

ahhh I see. Thanks smile.gif +rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGrunt View Post

Here is a realtemp readout from 10 mins of prime. There is a 5C difference between colder and hotter core, as tsm106 mentioned.

Taken on 25C ambient, no HT, Vcore 1.288


+rep too....hmmm
What do you think of it then? still worth the purchase?
post #2426 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

ahhh I see. Thanks smile.gif +rep
+rep too....hmmm
What do you think of it then? still worth the purchase?

It's still a top cpu block but its better suited to a smaller heatspreader. If you are not pushing high overclocks it probably won't matter to you.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2427 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

It's still a top cpu block but its better suited to a smaller heatspreader. If you are not pushing high overclocks it probably won't matter to you.

what counts as a high overclock? I most likely (95%+) will be going over 4.5ghz
post #2428 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

what counts as a high overclock? I most likely (95%+) will be going over 4.5ghz

I'd call that (4.5) a moderate overclock...not high.
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2429 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGrunt View Post

There is a 5C difference between colder and hotter core, as tsm106 mentioned.

Intel uses sensors that are only accurate to +/- 5C. A slight temperature difference from core to core like you are seeing is meaningless. Mostly just sensor error.
post #2430 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dph314 View Post


How'd testing go? Speaking of gaming... I noticed you also have a 680 Lightning. Best card on the market thumb.gif But yeah I let my recent attempt at low voltages for my CPU/mobo spread to my GPUs. The one Lightning does 1350mhz on the stock voltage, so I decided to drop it a bit, to -31mv. After half an hour of folding temps dropped by 6C, from 57C to 51C. So, just a suggestion if you want to try it out smile.gif
So, this may be a stupid question. But will low voltages affect anything performance-wise? I've had consistent PPD for a while now. And with the same WU I've been getting for a while, PPD seems to have dropped about ~20,000 or so. I know there's a lot of variables, but I've looked on and off for the past day or 2 and I can tell it's low. GPUs are the same PP they've been, and nothing else has been changed, neither hardware nor software-wise, except lowering many CPU/mobo voltages. I haven't had any crashes, and everything has been running as stable as it's always been.

It was fun, all went well. I will look into trying to UV my lightning, but it's not a great overclocker like yours. I need +68v offset on BIOS1 to be 1300Mhz heaven stable. I usually just run it stock so I suppose it's worth a shot (stock because it hits 150fps+ in all games I play, there's no point to add heat for no reason)

I have noticed some minor slowdowns last night after undervolting heavily (could be placebo, I won't deny that). Also during prime95 while undervolted, moving CPU-Z around the screen was jittery which never happened before I started to UV.
I'm really not sure, but it may have an effect. Could be another variable in the mix. I'm working on my 4.5Ghz oc now, just trying to keep a 0.3v difference between VCCSA and VCORE

ugotd8 mentioned he got better Cinebench scores when upping CPUPLL from 1.8 to 1.85v. Worth looking into perhaps, I'd start with that and see if your PPD changes for tomorrow, but let me know how it turns out please.
Edited by Scorpion667 - 8/23/12 at 6:39pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k 4.7 1.368v RIVE BIOS 2105 680L 1330/7011 16GB Samsung 2133Mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 240GB  H110 after 4x H220 RMA Win 8.1 64bit XL2420T Lightboost  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS 6Gv2  EVGA 1300G2  Arc Midi R2 Zowie AM, many opticals 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
SS QCK+ Xonar Essence STX AK100 MKII Shure SE846  
AudioAudioOther
Ultrasone Pro 900 Sennheiser HD700 Intel EXPI9301CT NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k 4.7 1.368v RIVE BIOS 2105 680L 1330/7011 16GB Samsung 2133Mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 240GB  H110 after 4x H220 RMA Win 8.1 64bit XL2420T Lightboost  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS 6Gv2  EVGA 1300G2  Arc Midi R2 Zowie AM, many opticals 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
SS QCK+ Xonar Essence STX AK100 MKII Shure SE846  
AudioAudioOther
Ultrasone Pro 900 Sennheiser HD700 Intel EXPI9301CT NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club