Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Gizmodo] Apple Now Owns the Unlock Slide Gesture
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gizmodo] Apple Now Owns the Unlock Slide Gesture - Page 21

post #201 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer;15463624 
Slide to unlock is like multitouch. Very popular today, but FIVE years ago when Apple applied for the patent, it certainly WAS NOT.

And just like multitouch, Apple didn't invent the unlock gesture. Just because you make something popular doesn't mean you have exclusive rights to it, especially when its not your idea. I mean, using your logic Intel could have patented the multi-core processor. Just like Apple they neither invented it or were the first to sell one. They just made it popular.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #202 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFrost View Post
Exactly! Just like every other corportation out there worth anything, Apple is patenting everything that they work on. It's not like they submitted this patent a couple of weeks ago.

Do I agree with this patent being granted? No, but blame the system not the players.
If the player knows the system is messed up, and take advantage of that fact, they are just as bad, if not worse. I blame the BAD PLAYER.
aka. APPLE the Patent Troll.
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #203 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
And just like multitouch, Apple didn't invent the unlock gesture.
Well in the real world, companies don't have to literally invent their IP. They can also acquire it. So your point is completely moot. It's not like Apple applied for this patent yesterday, they did it before anyone else did.

And at the end of the day, that's all your upset about. You wouldnt be complaining if Google or anyone else won the patent.

Be mad at MS...they make more money off of Android than anyone.
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #204 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Apple applied for the patent long before Android or iOS was on a smartphone. Why are you all ignoring this fact?

edit - pardon my typo
Because Android was in development in '05 and probably had this anyways?

Slide to unlock may not have been 'popular' but it existed prior to their applying for a patent. The only reason Apple wins things like this is popularity and a lot of cash.


Edit: They claim that Microsoft and IBM are the enemy because of things like this. So why is it different when they do it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Well in the real world, companies don't have to literally invent their IP. They can also acquire it. So your point is completely moot. It's not like Apple applied for this patent yesterday, they did it before anyone else did.

And at the end of the day, that's all your upset about. You wouldnt be complaining if Google or anyone else won the patent.

Be mad at MS...they make more money off of Android than anyone.
Nobody should be able to own intellectual property that existed prior to the patent application. That is silly - if the original developer didn't want it patented, then nobody should be allowed to patent it.
Edited by refeek - 10/26/11 at 1:41pm
post #205 of 326
I wonder if someone on the Android team patented the face recognition to unlock. Then I would not care about this whole sliding patent.
post #206 of 326
I guess we could just enter a pin.
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #207 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
I wonder if someone on the Android team patented the face recognition to unlock. Then I would not care about this whole sliding patent.
Doubt Google wouldn't make sure that is patented. They're aggressive for patents too, just don't use them offensively often.
post #208 of 326
Apple is just as evil as Microsoft. The days in the 1980s when Apple were making IBM, Intel, and MS evil were all just lies.

Apple is just as rotten as the rest. Oh how the white knight has fallen so far.
post #209 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by refeek View Post
Because Android was in development in '05 and probably had this anyways?
You can't say it probably had anything, that's not an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeek View Post
Slide to unlock may not have been 'popular' but it existed prior to their applying for a patent. The only reason Apple wins things like this is popularity and a lot of cash.
Popularity has positively nothing to do with the outcome of cases like this. A good legal team and a legit case are all you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeek View Post
Nobody should be able to own intellectual property that existed prior to the patent application. That is silly - if the original developer didn't want it patented, then nobody should be allowed to patent it.
Well the courts seem to think otherwise.
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #210 of 326
I've lost faith in what "courts" believe. From what I've seen lately, they know nothing about technology, and it's being taken advantage of. At least that's my opinion.
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Gizmodo] Apple Now Owns the Unlock Slide Gesture