Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Gizmodo] Apple Now Owns the Unlock Slide Gesture
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gizmodo] Apple Now Owns the Unlock Slide Gesture - Page 27

post #261 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom;15467927 
Ah, I see. Is it true that Apple filed for the patent in 2005 though?

That would be unreasonable. Either Apple would need to find a different way, or they would need to license it from Google. These things (inc. slide to unlock) shouldn't be patentable, it only hurts competition.

For the record, I don't agree with Apple not offering to license such and such to Android if that turns out to be true, although I don't believe it is at this point.


Actually...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs 
In a subsequent meeting with Schmidt at a cafe in Palo Alto, California, Jobs told Schmidt he wasn't interested in settling the lawsuit, the book says. "I don't want your money. If you offer me $5bn, I won't want it. I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want." The meeting, Isaacson wrote, resolved nothing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/21/steve-jobs-destroy-android


We can hope that without Jobs directing the show this bitter nerd rage that was central to his identity will fade from Apple. Although IIRC Tim Cook, the man replacing Jobs was the one behind the patent assault on Samsung.
Quote:
Of course, because there's so many different manufacturers producing multiple products per year running Android. Although those phones you mentioned didn't have as high a PPI as the iPhone 4 did, no?

No, because it wasn't necessary. You have to hold the phone right up to your eye to notice the difference between 250 PPI and 329 PPI. Any <4" 800x480 (non-pentile) display is just as "retina" as the iPhone 4's display. Any difference you see comes down to IPS vs TN/SLCD. I'd take my Desire's 3.7" 800x480 display over the iPod Touch 4's 3.5" 960x640 TN because it displays more content at no visible loss of density.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #262 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris;15468347 
Actually...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/21/steve-jobs-destroy-android

We can hope that without Jobs directing the show this bitter nerd rage that was central to his identity will fade from Apple. Although IIRC Tim Cook, the man replacing Jobs was the one behind the patent assault on Samsung.
Eh, I see. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. Hopefully they will license such and such to Android.
Quote:
No, because it wasn't necessary. You have to hold the phone right up to your eye to notice the difference between 250 PPI and 329 PPI. Any <4" 800x480 (non-pentile) display is just as "retina" as the iPhone 4's display. Any difference you see comes down to IPS vs TN/SLCD. I'd take my Desire's 3.7" 800x480 display over the iPod Touch 4's 3.5" 960x640 TN because it displays more content at no visible loss of density.
That's not true. You have to hold the phone right up to your eyes to see an individual pixel but the difference is still noticeable from a standard viewing distance.

I'd take a rock over the iPod touch 4's TN display. I'm pretty peeved at Apple for not using IPS, and for not updating the iPod touch line.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #263 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93;15456722 
They've already patented that HDD activity LED, or "A device that links usage of a computer component to an LED of varying intensity based on usage"

Good job, Apple.

you need to go back and read that article before you talk about it, because clearly you just read the quote and the comments. Your comment is clearly ignorant.

on the other hand, apple are you RETARDED? congrats, i hate you more every day.
Unnamed Build
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770k MAXIMUS V GENE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Hydro Copper Vulcan 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 1TB 840 SSD Koolance CPU-380i XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC EX120 120mm Radiator Silverstone AP181 Fan Gentle Typhoon AP15 Windows 8 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP LP3065c DasKeyboard Ultimate Model S Seasonic X650 Silverstone TJ08B-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G700 Mionix Propus 380 Audioengine D1 USB DAC Parasound 2125 Amplifier 
AudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headph... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 450 
  hide details  
Reply
Unnamed Build
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770k MAXIMUS V GENE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Hydro Copper Vulcan 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 1TB 840 SSD Koolance CPU-380i XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC EX120 120mm Radiator Silverstone AP181 Fan Gentle Typhoon AP15 Windows 8 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP LP3065c DasKeyboard Ultimate Model S Seasonic X650 Silverstone TJ08B-E 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G700 Mionix Propus 380 Audioengine D1 USB DAC Parasound 2125 Amplifier 
AudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headph... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 450 
  hide details  
Reply
post #264 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom;15468557 
That's not true. You have to hold the phone right up to your eyes to see an individual pixel but the difference is still noticeable from a standard viewing distance.

That has nothing to do with display density though. A 250 PPI IPS display would look no different from a 329 PPI IPS display. Remember the iPod Touch's screen is identical in every way to the iPhone 4's, with the only difference being IPS.

I think the only reason its 329 PPI is because Apple didn't plan ahead when they made iOS and ended up with 150000+ apps all hardcoded for 480x320. They couldn't just make a 700x500 (~250 PPI) display because it wouldn't scale properly with existing apps, so they had to double the display dimension to get 2x scaling, or end up with black borders like on the iPad. (And funnily enough they didn't learn anything from the incident, and now they have to figure out how to make a 2048x1536 iPad panel at a reasonable cost to avoid being left in the dust by competing Android tablets)

Of course Apple could fix some of that by releasing a 4" iPhone 5 and keeping the same 960x640 resolution. You still wouldn't be able to tell the difference at anything remotely close to normal viewing conditions but you'd get an extra 30% content.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #265 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris;15468780 
That has nothing to do with display density though. A 250 PPI IPS display would look no different from a 329 PPI IPS display. Remember the iPod Touch's screen is identical in every way to the iPhone 4's, with the only difference being IPS.
I have to disagree, I think the difference would be noticeable. (Neither of us can prove that though, so let's just agree to not even agree to disagree biggrin.gif) Yeah, it is identical, but it's literally horrid in comparison.
Quote:
I think the only reason its 329 PPI is because Apple didn't plan ahead when they made iOS and ended up with 150000+ apps all hardcoded for 480x320. They couldn't just make a 700x500 (~250 PPI) display because it wouldn't scale properly with existing apps, so they had to double the display dimension to get 2x scaling, or end up with black borders like on the iPad. (And funnily enough they didn't learn anything from the incident, and now they have to figure out how to make a 2048x1536 iPad panel at a reasonable cost to avoid being left in the dust by competing Android tablets)
I think it's more that Apple wanted to make it seamless for developers to produce apps that support both, and they did. There's literally nothing to do aside from using HD images.

Unlike Apple's competitors, they only release one new phone and one new slate per year. There's no reason to change the resolution, and seeing as one of Apple's biggest ideals is consistency, it wouldn't make sense for them to do that either.

Apple invested a great deal of time/effort in choosing the right aspect ratio and screen resolution for the iPad and I suspect that they did the same for the original iPhone. The iPhone doesn't really need to fit any more content on the screen than it does now and the same is true of the iPad, everything is just the right size. So all that's left is improving the quality of that content.
Quote:
Of course Apple could fix some of that by releasing a 4" iPhone 5 and keeping the same 960x640 resolution. You still wouldn't be able to tell the difference at anything remotely close to normal viewing conditions but you'd get an extra 30% content.
What do you mean "you'd get an extra 30% content"? I suppose everything would be bigger, but you'd still have the same amount of content.

It would make sense for Apple to produce a 4.4" iPhone 5 as it would drop the PPI down to 263 which is almost exactly what a 9.7" iPad would have with a 2048x1536 resolution (consistent). Then again, I kind of hope they'd add a 1440x960 resolution to the iPhone 5 for 400 PPI biggrin.gif
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #266 of 326
Wow, this is rather pathetic. Just because they lost a great innovative leader, doesnt mean they have to put their rights on everything they created to stay in the competition.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6500 @ stock MSI H110i Pro AC Asus GTX 1070 Gaming Strix OC 16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1Tb Hitachi 5400RPM 2.5" HDD Intel 540s 240Gb SSD Noctua L9i Windows 10 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
PX2370 Filco Ninja Brown Switches Silverstone 500W SFX-L Gold Silverstone RVZ02 (Non-Windowed) 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Bose Companion II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6500 @ stock MSI H110i Pro AC Asus GTX 1070 Gaming Strix OC 16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1Tb Hitachi 5400RPM 2.5" HDD Intel 540s 240Gb SSD Noctua L9i Windows 10 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
PX2370 Filco Ninja Brown Switches Silverstone 500W SFX-L Gold Silverstone RVZ02 (Non-Windowed) 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Bose Companion II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #267 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO;15462905 
I think any Apple related threads should be banned from posting in the news section.

You're always going to have the delusional, disconnected and disoriented lala land people making a fool of themselves and causing a chain reaction of stupid.
I agree with your statement, it's people like yourself, Steelbom, ForumViewer, HellonWheels that ruin these type of threads.

Everything else makes sense. lachen.gif

Back on topic, I hope Google patents the "Face Unlock" found on the Nexus. That way when Apple innovates copies it, they'll have to pay. Fight fire with fire.
Edited by 2010rig - 10/26/11 at 9:37pm
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #268 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig;15469367 
I agree with your statement, it's people like yourself, Steelbom, ForumViewer, HellonWheels that ruin these type of threads.

Everything else makes sense. lachen.gif

Back on topic, I hope Google patents the "Face Unlock" found on the Nexus. That way when Apple innovates copies it, they'll have to pay. Fight fire with fire.

But face recognition to unlock isn't new. Plenty of laptops have had it for ages :\ If they were to get it patented it would be Face Recognition to unlock a mobile phone.

Which I think is dumb.. just taking something that's been used in other devices like Face Recognition and porting it over to a different device shouldn't deserve a new patent confused.gif
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium III 733 MHz On-board 32MB Graphics 256MB DDR 19GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows XP Pro 15" CRT Display 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium III 733 MHz On-board 32MB Graphics 256MB DDR 19GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows XP Pro 15" CRT Display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #269 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe123;15469346 
Wow, this is rather pathetic. Just because they lost a great innovative leader, doesnt mean they have to put their rights on everything they created to stay in the competition.

What's pathetic is when people comment on things without even reading them.


Quote:
Application NumberFiling DatePatent NumberIssue Date
11322549Dec., 2005. 7657849
post #270 of 326
lol you bash apple for applying numerous sometimes ridiculous patents, yet, as a publicly held company, they have to make decisions that increase the value of the stocks of shareholders, and if it means patenting a feature found on many smart phones, then great! more cash in. Its how a capitalist system works, how any business functions, to make money, and it did, they actually got the injunction in Europe over the galaxy tablet. We can all complain, but to apple, they dont really give a s****
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Gizmodo] Apple Now Owns the Unlock Slide Gesture