Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › IBT/Linx (AVX) vs. Prime95 for stability/stress testing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IBT/Linx (AVX) vs. Prime95 for stability/stress testing - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Linpack is linpack is linpack.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15482669 
No, what I said is that IBT/LinX with AVX is no more "effective" than Prime95 for Sandy Bridge, so all IBT/LinX with AVX is really doing is generating more heat than Prime95 for no reason.

Next time, please don't use someone's name like you did mine. I mean, I think it would have been better if you said "Some people here on OCN have mentioned that the heat produced by IBT/LinX (AVX) is useless for Sandy Bridge CPUs". If I hadn't noticed this, then I probably would have ended up with people taking your word for it and then coming to me and saying "Why did you say that? What did you mean?"

Y'know what I'm saying? Don't be a name-dropper. wink.gif

Oh I didn't noticed you posted this message earlier. Sorry man, I had no intention of mentioning your name for false information or something. I actually did that because I read many people using your name in their posts so I thought it was kind of OK with you. Anyway, I understand and sorry again. Cheers smile.gif
post #13 of 20
I like using whatever it is I use, for instance in gaming I can get away with less voltage than something like F@H.

I've also found changing the LLC depending on the load can actually give stability at the same voltage range where another setting would be unstable.

Last night I was folding around 1.47v with low LLC, it wasn't stable so I got a 101 after only 9%. Today I increased my LLC and lowered my load voltage to 1.456v and it has been stable for the last 32%, could still be unstable, but we'll cross that bridge when we reach it thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 20
I like to use both.

First I will use LinX with AVX and if it passes I will move onto Prime95 blend.

TBH there is nothing worse than going 6 hours stable only for it to fail.
Bertie Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz Asus Maximus IV Extreme Sapphire HD7970 8GB Corsiar Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB + WD 1TB ... Samsung DVD Drive Windows 7 Ultimate Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Bertie Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz Asus Maximus IV Extreme Sapphire HD7970 8GB Corsiar Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB + WD 1TB ... Samsung DVD Drive Windows 7 Ultimate Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF X Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002;15484374 
Oh I didn't noticed you posted this message earlier. Sorry man, I had no intention of mentioning your name for false information or something. I actually did that because I read many people using your name in their posts so I thought it was kind of OK with you. Anyway, I understand and sorry again. Cheers smile.gif
It's just that there are times where it doesn't matter, and then there are times when it does. I don't quite know how to verbalize why it matters this time, but for some reason it does. It's just one of those things.

Although, I could be misinterpreting your intentions or what you're saying or something (I know myself well enough that I can say that this is quite possible). However, to me it feels like if I hadn't said something, then I could end up having people approach me and be like "What did you mean by saying that the heat produced by IBT/LinX with AVX is useless?" Or, it could result in someone coming into this thread and going "Well, he's wrong", or "Well, he doesn't know what he's talking about". Either way, it would either mean that I'd have to say "He misquoted me", or it could mean that my reputation gets hurt.

In general, it's best to never name anyone. Actually, it doesn't even feel socially acceptable to say things like "Someone here on OCN once told me this. Is it true?" because then that will cause people to ask who you're talking about.

So to use the question this thread is asking as an example, it possibly would have been better to just say something like "For stress testing Sandy Bridge, is Prime95 Blend and Blend Custom just as god as IBT/LinX with AVX?", and you could even finish the question with like "I mean, is the only difference now that IBT/LinX with AVX simply produces more heat but is no more effective than Prime95?"

Besides, you could ask this question on 10 different message boards and end up with 100 different answers. This is just one of those things. However, my personal findings have been that unlike previous CPUs (including as recently as the first generation Core i3/i5/i7 series), using Linpack for stress testing Sandy Bridge is basically unnecessary which means that all it's really doing is generating more heat for no reason. Of course, it's still an extremely good stress test for previous generation CPUs, but not so much for Sandy Bridge.

I have not tested with Linpack at all, but yet my system has been rock-solid stable at 4.8 GHz with zero problems for over 3 months (since at least the week of July 10th). All I used was Prime95's Blend and Blend Custom.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15486895 
It's just that there are times where it doesn't matter, and then there are times when it does. I don't quite know how to verbalize why it matters this time, but for some reason it does. It's just one of those things.

Although, I could be misinterpreting your intentions or what you're saying or something (I know myself well enough that I can say that this is quite possible). However, to me it feels like if I hadn't said something, then I could end up having people approach me and be like "What did you mean by saying that the heat produced by IBT/LinX with AVX is useless?" Or, it could result in someone coming into this thread and going "Well, he's wrong", or "Well, he doesn't know what he's talking about". Either way, it would either mean that I'd have to say "He misquoted me", or it could mean that my reputation gets hurt.

In general, it's best to never name anyone. Actually, it doesn't even feel socially acceptable to say things like "Someone here on OCN once told me this. Is it true?" because then that will cause people to ask who you're talking about.

So to use the question this thread is asking as an example, it possibly would have been better to just say something like "For stress testing Sandy Bridge, is Prime95 Blend and Blend Custom just as god as IBT/LinX with AVX?", and you could even finish the question with like "I mean, is the only difference now that IBT/LinX with AVX simply produces more heat but is no more effective than Prime95?"

Besides, you could ask this question on 10 different message boards and end up with 100 different answers. This is just one of those things. However, my personal findings have been that unlike previous CPUs (including as recently as the first generation Core i3/i5/i7 series), using Linpack for stress testing Sandy Bridge is basically unnecessary which means that all it's really doing is generating more heat for no reason. Of course, it's still an extremely good stress test for previous generation CPUs, but not so much for Sandy Bridge.

I have not tested with Linpack at all, but yet my system has been rock-solid stable at 4.8 GHz with zero problems for over 3 months (since at least the week of July 10th). All I used was Prime95's Blend and Blend Custom.

Got you. It could have been the word "useless" that set you off. I thought it was a good synonym that can be used to replace "unnecessary". Sorry, wouldn't happen again smile.gif
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002;15489263 
Got you. It could have been the word "useless" that set you off. I thought it was a good synonym that can be used to replace "unnecessary". Sorry, wouldn't happen again smile.gif
It's not just for me either. I mean, it's generally best practice to try and avoid name-dropping like that.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15489274 
It's not just for me either. I mean, it's generally best practice to try and avoid name-dropping like that.

Yeah, I got that.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002;15493452 
Yeah, I got that.
Oh, my bad. redface.gif
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15493480 
Oh, my bad. redface.gif

Hehe, no worries on that. Anyway, I think this questions is answered already so I'll move on smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › IBT/Linx (AVX) vs. Prime95 for stability/stress testing