Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Is this Psu decent enought for my system?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this Psu decent enought for my system? - Page 2

post #11 of 34
Look at my sig rig, that PSU is enough to keep everything stable running 1.625V through my 955BE under load. With nine 120mm fans (4 are 2200rpm) + the usual peripherals. That said, you won't hurt anything by going overboard. And as PSU technology doesn't really advance noticeably, buying bigger is to some degree future proofing.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
Why do people keep saying "It's overkill for your system" ?!! its not. I say go for it, what if he want to get a 1090T or he wants to CF his graphic card.
Because overdoing it too much will end up costing you more in your actual monthly electricity bill, that beside the initial higher cost.. if you like to spend money on power you'll never use fell free to do it.. however, that doesn't mean it's smart or wort sharing, because it's not.. it's pretty stupid and points to the fact that you're not very sure about what you're doing.

As far as multi GPU configs go, you could at least ask him if he intends to do such a setup before suggesting he should spend money you didn't earn for him on stuff he'll probably never use
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post
Because overdoing it too much will end up costing you more in your actual monthly electricity bill, that beside the initial higher cost.. if you like to spend money on power you'll never use fell free to do it.. however, that doesn't mean it's smart or wort sharing, because it's not.. it's pretty stupid and points to the fact that you're not very sure about what you're doing.

As far as multi GPU configs go, you could at least ask him if he intends to do such a setup before suggesting he should spend money you didn't earn for him on stuff he'll probably never use
Ok yes i understand your point and i respect that and totally agree with you but a year a go i bought a 750W power supply for my 2.0 GHz Core 2 Due CPU, 512mb ddr2 ram and i had a AMD 4550 gpahic card !! . now you would say that is completely waste of money, power and just being stupid and i agree but then i got my self the rig below and i'm still using the same power supply.

so the PSU was future proof. now i want to buy a 1200W PSU cuz i want to get another 5870 and maybe upgrade when intel socket 2011 release.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 5040MHz @ 1.48 - 1.53v @ VTT/VCCSA ... Asus rampage extreme IV Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ 1580/4050MHz @ 1.325V Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2400MHz. ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB WD Black 1TB 64Mb Cache  WD Blue 500GB 16mb Cache 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Black 4TB 64mb Cache LG DVD EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Backplate - Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Pump (MCP 655)  EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240) EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (120) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-CoolStream XE 120 (Single) 8x Corsair Air SP120 PWM High Performance Edition 3x Corsair Air AF120 High Performance Edition EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block (Nickel Acetal) 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
EK-FC970 GTX WF3 - Acetal+Nickel Windows 10 64-bit v1511 build 10586.14 BenQ RL2755HM LG W2261 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S23C350 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W Thermaltake Level 10 GT 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 5600DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 5040MHz @ 1.48 - 1.53v @ VTT/VCCSA ... Asus rampage extreme IV Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ 1580/4050MHz @ 1.325V Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2400MHz. ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB WD Black 1TB 64Mb Cache  WD Blue 500GB 16mb Cache 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Black 4TB 64mb Cache LG DVD EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Backplate - Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Pump (MCP 655)  EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240) EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (120) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-CoolStream XE 120 (Single) 8x Corsair Air SP120 PWM High Performance Edition 3x Corsair Air AF120 High Performance Edition EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block (Nickel Acetal) 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
EK-FC970 GTX WF3 - Acetal+Nickel Windows 10 64-bit v1511 build 10586.14 BenQ RL2755HM LG W2261 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S23C350 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W Thermaltake Level 10 GT 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 5600DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 34
Thread Starter 
Acaully Im Going to Keep my Rana 450, Try to Unlock 4th core, and Oc it. Also i will be adding more ram and maybe another hard drive in the future, NO DUAL Gpus, my motherboard will not support and will not plan on getting on that, I would get a better card if i need to in the future. I will be adding Liquid cooling soon also..
My R1g
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon ll x3 450 Rana M4a88t-m Sapphire Hd 5830 Corsair Valueselect Single Stick 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
600gb Sata Windows 7 64bit 40' 1080p Sony Bravia/ 24' Gateway 1080p Monitor Antect 650 Earwatts 
CaseMouse PadAudio
Atx WolfKing Sniper 5.1 Sony Bravia Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
My R1g
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon ll x3 450 Rana M4a88t-m Sapphire Hd 5830 Corsair Valueselect Single Stick 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
600gb Sata Windows 7 64bit 40' 1080p Sony Bravia/ 24' Gateway 1080p Monitor Antect 650 Earwatts 
CaseMouse PadAudio
Atx WolfKing Sniper 5.1 Sony Bravia Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post
Because overdoing it too much will end up costing you more in your actual monthly electricity bill, that beside the initial higher cost.. if you like to spend money on power you'll never use fell free to do it.. however, that doesn't mean it's smart or wort sharing, because it's not.. it's pretty stupid and points to the fact that you're not very sure about what you're doing.

As far as multi GPU configs go, you could at least ask him if he intends to do such a setup before suggesting he should spend money you didn't earn for him on stuff he'll probably never use
The EarthwWatts Psu is a $$$ saver btw..
My R1g
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon ll x3 450 Rana M4a88t-m Sapphire Hd 5830 Corsair Valueselect Single Stick 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
600gb Sata Windows 7 64bit 40' 1080p Sony Bravia/ 24' Gateway 1080p Monitor Antect 650 Earwatts 
CaseMouse PadAudio
Atx WolfKing Sniper 5.1 Sony Bravia Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
My R1g
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon ll x3 450 Rana M4a88t-m Sapphire Hd 5830 Corsair Valueselect Single Stick 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
600gb Sata Windows 7 64bit 40' 1080p Sony Bravia/ 24' Gateway 1080p Monitor Antect 650 Earwatts 
CaseMouse PadAudio
Atx WolfKing Sniper 5.1 Sony Bravia Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutla22 View Post
Acaully Im Going to Keep my Rana 450, Try to Unlock 4th core, and Oc it. Also i will be adding more ram and maybe another hard drive in the future, NO DUAL Gpus, my motherboard will not support and will not plan on getting on that, I would get a better card if i need to in the future. I will be adding Liquid cooling soon also..
AIO liquid coolers are still ****, you're better off with a high quality air cooler

@ Fantasy
If your 750W PSU would actually be a decent one you wouldn't need a new one for 5870 CFX.. however, the GX is poor.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post
AIO liquid coolers are still ****, you're better off with a high quality air cooler

@ Fantasy
If your 750W PSU would actually be a decent one you wouldn't need a new one for 5870 CFX.. however, the GX is poor.
yah well i didn't know that I was going to get quad GPUs its working fine for my 5970 but now i have an extra 5870 and i want to buy another 5870 so even if you have the world best 750W PSU you wouldnt be able to run 4GPUs on 750W PSU, that is just crazy talk
quad GPUs need at least 1000W +
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 5040MHz @ 1.48 - 1.53v @ VTT/VCCSA ... Asus rampage extreme IV Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ 1580/4050MHz @ 1.325V Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2400MHz. ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB WD Black 1TB 64Mb Cache  WD Blue 500GB 16mb Cache 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Black 4TB 64mb Cache LG DVD EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Backplate - Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Pump (MCP 655)  EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240) EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (120) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-CoolStream XE 120 (Single) 8x Corsair Air SP120 PWM High Performance Edition 3x Corsair Air AF120 High Performance Edition EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block (Nickel Acetal) 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
EK-FC970 GTX WF3 - Acetal+Nickel Windows 10 64-bit v1511 build 10586.14 BenQ RL2755HM LG W2261 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S23C350 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W Thermaltake Level 10 GT 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 5600DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 5040MHz @ 1.48 - 1.53v @ VTT/VCCSA ... Asus rampage extreme IV Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ 1580/4050MHz @ 1.325V Corsair Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2400MHz. ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB WD Black 1TB 64Mb Cache  WD Blue 500GB 16mb Cache 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Black 4TB 64mb Cache LG DVD EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Backplate - Black 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Pump (MCP 655)  EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240) EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (120) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-CoolStream XE 120 (Single) 8x Corsair Air SP120 PWM High Performance Edition 3x Corsair Air AF120 High Performance Edition EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block (Nickel Acetal) 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
EK-FC970 GTX WF3 - Acetal+Nickel Windows 10 64-bit v1511 build 10586.14 BenQ RL2755HM LG W2261 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung S23C350 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W Thermaltake Level 10 GT 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 5600DPI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Sin View Post
Because overdoing it too much will end up costing you more in your actual monthly electricity bill, that beside the initial higher cost.. if you like to spend money on power you'll never use fell free to do it.. however, that doesn't mean it's smart or wort sharing, because it's not.. it's pretty stupid and points to the fact that you're not very sure about what you're doing.

As far as multi GPU configs go, you could at least ask him if he intends to do such a setup before suggesting he should spend money you didn't earn for him on stuff he'll probably never use
Your PSU doesn't consume power, it only converts it, and loses some in the conversion. Efficiency is what you're talking about, not rated max wattage.

Ex. if system draw is 300W, a 1500W 80+ silver PSU will draw noticeably less power than a 350W not 80+ certified unit. However, power is relatively cheap, so don't spend $100 more for an 80+ platinum PSU with the idea that it will save you money; especially if system draw is relatively small.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
yah well i didn't know that I was going to get quad GPUs its working fine for my 5970 but now i have an extra 5870 and i want to buy another 5870 so even if you have the world best 750W PSU you wouldnt be able to run 4GPUs on 750W PSU, that is just crazy talk
quad GPUs need at least 1000W +
5870 are about 220W at full load.
Thuban @ 4Ghz ~170W
everything else you have listed <50W
^all that at full load

A 1100W unit should do, though if you're mining or running other distributed computing up you should do at least 1.2KW, I'd suggest a HCP1200 for a quad 5870 rig.
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
I don't mean AIO coolers i mean, Regular liquid cooling, so the 750 is over kill, i was really interested in it, since i cant buy the 550 off newegg, need a confirmed shipping a address..
My R1g
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon ll x3 450 Rana M4a88t-m Sapphire Hd 5830 Corsair Valueselect Single Stick 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
600gb Sata Windows 7 64bit 40' 1080p Sony Bravia/ 24' Gateway 1080p Monitor Antect 650 Earwatts 
CaseMouse PadAudio
Atx WolfKing Sniper 5.1 Sony Bravia Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
My R1g
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Athlon ll x3 450 Rana M4a88t-m Sapphire Hd 5830 Corsair Valueselect Single Stick 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
600gb Sata Windows 7 64bit 40' 1080p Sony Bravia/ 24' Gateway 1080p Monitor Antect 650 Earwatts 
CaseMouse PadAudio
Atx WolfKing Sniper 5.1 Sony Bravia Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Is this Psu decent enought for my system?