Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] Origin Adds Warner Bros, THQ, Capcom Downloads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[IGN] Origin Adds Warner Bros, THQ, Capcom Downloads - Page 5

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
How did someone like you with that outlook on things even get into this forum?

2 platforms running at the same time is redundant and inefficient in every possible way. Just because the toll it takes on your system isn't catastrophic, doesn't mean we should do it. Do the words "the pursuit of performance" ring a bell? You don't achieve peak performance by letting inefficiency slide.

And then you compare Steam to VHS and Origin to DVD, and ask why we cant just use both and be happy.. LOL! Last I heard, DVD was a SUPERIOR platform for movies, not simply a newer but weaker alternative for twice the price. Origin offers only a small fraction of what if offered on Steam, and not only in terms of how many games, but also in terms of features and reliability.

And for your information, origin is nothing new. EA has been in the digital distribution business longer than valve has. The only reason you don't know that is because all their previous platforms have been absolutely terrible, and didn't offer any exclusive titles. The only reason anyone has even heard of Origin is because EA is pushing it with exclusive, highly anticipated titles.

Before you start acting all high and mighty on us, how about you obtain an understanding of the matter at hand first? You "really CANNOT understand what the problem is"? Well how about you inform yourself before posting?
ORIGIN IS STILL IN BETA
is steam in beta it was released 8 years ago.

I don't care to read most of what you are saying because it kind of seems you just want to hate ea or origin or both for some personal reason.

Origin isn't trying to beat steam, they are pushing their own products and guess what that's somewhat similar to what steam does, or can you show me how to play cs half life and tf2 without steam.

And origin is competing with xbox live, psn, steam don't know what other online services are there.

It's obviously better but if we have your mentality, let's never try something different and try and get better, we suck lets continue sucking.

People seem to have very short memories about this kind of crap
Sunfire
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 MSI P55A-G55 XFX 6850 8GB MUSHKIN 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2tb Green WD+640aaks Windows 7 x64 Dell 23" sw2309 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair hx520 Antec p182 Logitech G5 Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
Sunfire
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 MSI P55A-G55 XFX 6850 8GB MUSHKIN 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2tb Green WD+640aaks Windows 7 x64 Dell 23" sw2309 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair hx520 Antec p182 Logitech G5 Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcarl View Post
ORIGIN IS STILL IN BETA
is steam in beta it was released 8 years ago.

I don't care to read most of what you are saying because it kind of seems you just want to hate ea or origin or both for some personal reason.

Origin isn't trying to beat steam, they are pushing their own products and guess what that's somewhat similar to what steam does, or can you show me how to play cs half life and tf2 without steam.

And origin is competing with xbox live, psn, steam don't know what other online services are there.

It's obviously better but if we have your mentality, let's never try something different and try and get better, we suck lets continue sucking.

People seem to have very short memories about this kind of crap
Again, the only ones with short memories here are the ones defending Origin on the premise that it is new. Origin is nothing but a re-skinned and renamed EADM, which in turn is a renamed and re skinned EA-Link, which is itself a renamed and re-skinned EA Store Download Manager, which in turn...

Get the message here? Origin is not new, its not superior or even equal to any of its serious competitors, its not cheaper, its not more stable, and chances are in a year or 2 it will close down, and they'll open a new platform, which they will use as an excuse to claim there are no records of your digital purchases, and demand you repurchase any games you want to play.

And you say I have a short memory
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcarl View Post
ORIGIN IS STILL IN BETA
is steam in beta it was released 8 years ago.

I don't care to read most of what you are saying because it kind of seems you just want to hate ea or origin or both for some personal reason.

Origin isn't trying to beat steam, they are pushing their own products and guess what that's somewhat similar to what steam does, or can you show me how to play cs half life and tf2 without steam.

And origin is competing with xbox live, psn, steam don't know what other online services are there.

It's obviously better but if we have your mentality, let's never try something different and try and get better, we suck lets continue sucking.

People seem to have very short memories about this kind of crap



Basically a modified graph. Steam get's a 30% cut on all games. That seems a bit too high if you ask me. That makes them a bigger middle than they need to be, some thing around 85-90% or even 95% should be given to developers/publishers. They aren't boxing and shipping, simply giving steam a batch of files to be mass distributed around the world. Don't give me crap about server cost, those are easily paid for by any company every.

Valve/Steam aren't doing anything but abusing their status to completely attempt to monopolize the PC digital distribution market. Steamworks? Why the hell do I need to activate a retail game with Valves own personal forced DRM but Origin and Battlefield 3 is somehow on the same level of Judas? That's right, it's perfectly OK because they like steam. I say SCREW THAT BS. Just because they like a platform doesn't mean it's OK because it works for them.

Bring on Origin. Bring on Gamefly's platform, bring on anyone who will give me the best prices for my dollar. Mafia 2 for 30 dollars when it's on sale at Amazon for 5-8 bucks all the time? LOL, no thanks Valve.
Edited by MarvinDessica - 10/31/11 at 1:38pm
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
How did someone like you with that outlook on things even get into this forum?

2 platforms running at the same time is redundant and inefficient in every possible way. Just because the toll it takes on your system isn't catastrophic, doesn't mean we should do it. Do the words "the pursuit of performance" ring a bell? You don't achieve peak performance by letting inefficiency slide.

And then you compare Steam to VHS and Origin to DVD, and ask why we cant just use both and be happy.. LOL! Last I heard, DVD was a SUPERIOR platform for movies, not simply a newer but weaker alternative for twice the price. Origin offers only a small fraction of what if offered on Steam, and not only in terms of how many games, but also in terms of features and reliability.

And for your information, origin is nothing new. EA has been in the digital distribution business longer than valve has. The only reason you don't know that is because all their previous platforms have been absolutely terrible, and didn't offer any exclusive titles. The only reason anyone has even heard of Origin is because EA is pushing it with exclusive, highly anticipated titles.

Before you start acting all high and mighty on us, how about you obtain an understanding of the matter at hand first? You "really CANNOT understand what the problem is"? Well how about you inform yourself before posting?
running origin in the background will take no performance toll on your system. are you constantly rendering gigabytes of raw video? doubt it. are you trying to play 4 games at once? doubt it. will you notice a frame of difference playing 1 game?
no.
so why are you acting as if 1 little program "slows your peak performance down". thats the most absurb argument i've ever heard over this origin/steam debate.

EA did have a digital service before. It was called the EA Download Manager. Get this dude, it was a download manager. pretty crazy huh. It just downloaded the games. It wasnt a full serviced client such as steam and now Origin.
and yes, i have used it multiple times.

and by the way. steam even came out long before EA even had ANY kind of online download service. steam was out at cs1.6. thats around 2001-2002. by my calculations, thats PLENTY of time to fix everything, and yet they still have recently had problems with releasing stuff on time from preloads.
dont talk to me about what i dont know.

people act like origin and steam released on the same date and somehow EA cant keep up with steam...its more like, EA is starting a new service to compete with steam that has been out for 10 years almost.
My Comp
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 955 3.7ghz gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 eVGA GTX 580 12gb Ram ddr3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
300gb Velociraptor, 1tb caviar black Windows 7 ultimate 64 24" , 20" Flat, dual monitor 650watt cooler master gx 
CaseMouse
nzxt phantom full tower Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My Comp
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 955 3.7ghz gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 eVGA GTX 580 12gb Ram ddr3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
300gb Velociraptor, 1tb caviar black Windows 7 ultimate 64 24" , 20" Flat, dual monitor 650watt cooler master gx 
CaseMouse
nzxt phantom full tower Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 83
This is great news. Cheaper games for all!
Murderface
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k MSI Z68A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Mushkin Chronos WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Hitachi Deskstar 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Lite-On BD burner Samsung DVD burner Thermalright Silver Arrow Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS236 KBT Race Enermax RV920 Lian Li T60B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Xornet PureTrak Talent Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Murderface
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k MSI Z68A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Redline 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Mushkin Chronos WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Hitachi Deskstar 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Lite-On BD burner Samsung DVD burner Thermalright Silver Arrow Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS236 KBT Race Enermax RV920 Lian Li T60B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Xornet PureTrak Talent Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverSightX View Post
Origin is still in its infancy and even though I'm not a huge fan of the Battlelog for BF3 but Origin itself is up to par with Steam which has been out for a while.
Don't see how, you can't even gift games or join people's games from friends list. These are basic features that should be implemented and very popular too. These are just a few features that its missing.

True Origin is in its infancy, but they should have released it more polished with more features.

If I want to travel, I get a car. I don't get a stone wheel in hopes that it may one day develop into a car.
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laten View Post
Don't see how, you can't even gift games or join people's games from friends list. These are basic features that should be implemented and very popular too. These are just a few features that its missing.

True Origin is in its infancy, but they should have released it more polished with more features.

If I want to travel, I get a car. I don't get a stone wheel in hopes that it may one day develop into a car.
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakim View Post
running origin in the background will take no performance toll on your system. are you constantly rendering gigabytes of raw video? doubt it. are you trying to play 4 games at once? doubt it. will you notice a frame of difference playing 1 game?
no.
so why are you acting as if 1 little program "slows your peak performance down". thats the most absurb argument i've ever heard over this origin/steam debate.

EA did have a digital service before. It was called the EA Download Manager. Get this dude, it was a download manager. pretty crazy huh. It just downloaded the games. It wasnt a full serviced client such as steam and now Origin.
and yes, i have used it multiple times.

and by the way. steam even came out long before EA even had ANY kind of online download service. steam was out at cs1.6. thats around 2001-2002. by my calculations, thats PLENTY of time to fix everything, and yet they still have recently had problems with releasing stuff on time from preloads.
dont talk to me about what i dont know.

people act like origin and steam released on the same date and somehow EA cant keep up with steam...its more like, EA is starting a new service to compete with steam that has been out for 10 years almost.
You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? If you are going to insist on making a fool of yourself, at least spend the 2 min it takes to pull up a wiki page on the subject you're mindlessly blabbing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDessica View Post


Basically a modified graph. Steam get's a 30% cut on all games. That seems a bit too high if you ask me. That makes them a bigger middle than they need to be, some thing around 85-90% or even 95% should be given to developers/publishers. They aren't boxing and shipping, simply giving steam a batch of files to be mass distributed around the world. Don't give me crap about server cost, those are easily paid for by any company every.

Valve/Steam aren't doing anything but abusing their status to completely attempt to monopolize the PC digital distribution market. Steamworks? Why the hell do I need to activate a retail game with Valves own personal forced DRM but Origin and Battlefield 3 is somehow on the same level of Judas? That's right, it's perfectly OK because they steam. I say SCREW THAT BS. Just because they like a platform doesn't mean it's OK because it works for them.

Bring on Origin. Bring on Gamefly's platform, bring on anyone who will give me the best prices for my dollar. Mafia 2 for 30 dollars when it's on sale at Amazon for 5-8 bucks all the time? LOL, no thanks Valve.
Erm? What monopoly? There have always and will always be alternatives to Steam. They just all suck.

Steam's prices are almost always between 15 and 100% of MSRP, depending on the presence or lack-there-of of a sale, with sales being extremely common. They are NEVER higher than MSRP unlike a great deal of other options, and they are very frequently cheaper than other options.

Add to that the fact that steam is actually well established, has a good reputation, offers excellent service and support, and offers a multitude of added functionality over every other platform out there, and I fail to see how paying, on average, (assuming you arent a total tool who buys all their games as soon as they are NOT on sale) 70% of MSRP, with the option of far cheaper games for those willing to wait, is an outrage.

As for your argument that steam takes too much profit... look at your own graph buddy. Developers are getting 10% more profit from steam than they are without steam, and they get everything taken care of for them by steam's servers and support. They're getting their job done easier AND getting paid more simply by using steam instead of a retailer and distributor. What exactly are you on about?
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Sanctum
(9 items)
 
Fukurou
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 MSI B350M Mortar Arctic RX Vega 64 G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Samsung EVO 960 Consatellation Windows 10 Pro Corsair HX 1050 
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64 LG 47inch LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudio
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 83
Origin will not beat Steam. Simple as that. People will use it for BF3 because they have to, but not really for anything else. Good thing, too, Steam is far more reliable with much better support, way more features and tons more games (with awesome sales all of the time).
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post
Not bad at all. I actually like Origin. It loads faster and seems lighter than Steam.. even more responsive. Not saying Steam is slow, just doesn't feel as streamlined... personal preference

Nice to see EA expanding it a bit, can't wait for ME3
Thats because You havent experienced at least 2 of the many problems it has like me..
   
Beautiful Card, Plays Great
Msi GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3550 MSI Z77A-G45 MSI N560-GTX Ti Twin Frozr II OC Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1x 1 Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm // 1x 500gb Seagate 72... Scythe Ninja 3 Push-Pull Windows 8 Pro 64-bit // (Win7 Dualboot) LG 27" IPS277L 
KeyboardPowerCase
Razer BlackWidow Corsair TX650M Corsair Carbide 400R 
CPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Core Duo T2350 30B2 Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Beautiful Card, Plays Great
Msi GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3550 MSI Z77A-G45 MSI N560-GTX Ti Twin Frozr II OC Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1x 1 Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm // 1x 500gb Seagate 72... Scythe Ninja 3 Push-Pull Windows 8 Pro 64-bit // (Win7 Dualboot) LG 27" IPS277L 
KeyboardPowerCase
Razer BlackWidow Corsair TX650M Corsair Carbide 400R 
CPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Core Duo T2350 30B2 Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 83
Origin need's a complete overhaul as it is right now it's terrible!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] Origin Adds Warner Bros, THQ, Capcom Downloads