New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show Your Linux - Page 425  

Poll Results: Which Linux Desktop do you use?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 12% of voters (103)
    Gnome 2 / Mate
  • 10% of voters (85)
    Gnome-Shell
  • 13% of voters (117)
    Unity
  • 18% of voters (158)
    Cinnamon
  • 17% of voters (148)
    KDE
  • 15% of voters (134)
    XFCE
  • 4% of voters (39)
    LXDE
  • 1% of voters (15)
    Enlightenment / E17
  • 6% of voters (55)
    OpenBox / FluxBox
  • 3% of voters (30)
    Awesome / DWM
  • 9% of voters (81)
    Other
845 Total Votes  
post #4241 of 7733
Quote:
still isn't quite `there` yet.

for who exactly? Its been there for years for me. This is a show your linux thread,I dont go into the windows threads and give statements on why I think windows is a weak OS. Linux will never be for everyone. I used to care about what people thought about linux, now I don't at all. if you cant get it to work for you then you have the problem not linux.
post #4242 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman72 View Post

for who exactly? Its been there for years for me. This is a show your linux thread,I dont go into the windows threads and give statements on why I think windows is a weak OS. Linux will never be for everyone. I used to care about what people thought about linux, now I don't at all. if you cant get it to work for you then you have the problem not linux.

doh.gif When you take parts of posts out of context they don't seem to make since do they? I could do the same to your post but that would be mean. Read the post again, then see if you can understand such a trivial concept.

You say you don't care what people think about Linux but here you are butthurt because of just the opposite. You do seem to care what others think.
post #4243 of 7733
I should have said I used to care if people used linux .Now I dont care at all. I really dont need anyone telling me why linux is not more mainstream or how its just not ready for desktop that is an opinion and everyone has one. I could give may reasons why I think linux is not more mainstream but most of them would be mean.
post #4244 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman72 View Post

Quote:
still isn't quite `there` yet.

for who exactly? Its been there for years for me. This is a show your linux thread,I dont go into the windows threads and give statements on why I think windows is a weak OS. Linux will never be for everyone. I used to care about what people thought about linux, now I don't at all. if you cant get it to work for you then you have the problem not linux.

wait what? whats with the switch in position? most linux users would jump to help someone, and now your fighting from both sides

EDIT--

saw the new post. I can sort of see the point of view but at the same time pushing people away doesn't bring better support from the rest of the world
Edited by jrl1357 - 11/26/12 at 2:34pm
post #4245 of 7733
I would rather push 1 person away than have that one person spew fud and push 10 away. Linux is ready for just about everything, the question is are you ready for linux.
post #4246 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman72 View Post

I would rather push 1 person away than have that one person spew fud and push 10 away. Linux is ready for just about everything, the question is are you ready for linux.

Pushing 1 person away because he has an issue and not helping him IS pushing more away. When you want to be an ahole to people you give them the idea that the community is filled with like minded idiots. He then goes and tells everyone how bad and unhelpful the community is and thus you've not done anything but possibly make the situation worse.

And yet, he was spot on with his post. Having complicated configuration files that need manual intervention is the reason Linux isn't mainstream yet. That's all he said. He wasn't spewing fud or badmouthing Linux in any way. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Average people would be more open to using Linux if not for the more in depth knowledge/research that is needed compared to Windows, OSX, Android and the likes of others that are as simple as pick up and go.

When speaking of mainstream you have to learn to put your tech knowledge on the back burner and think like an average user who wouldn't be able to tie their own shoe if you didn't tell them how. And Linux is not there.
post #4247 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman72 View Post

I would rather push 1 person away than have that one person spew fud and push 10 away. Linux is ready for just about everything, the question is are you ready for linux.

Pushing 1 person away because he has an issue and not helping him IS pushing more away. When you want to be an ahole to people you give them the idea that the community is filled with like minded idiots. He then goes and tells everyone how bad and unhelpful the community is and thus you've not done anything but possibly make the situation worse.

And yet, he was spot on with his post. Having complicated configuration files that need manual intervention is the reason Linux isn't mainstream yet. That's all he said. He wasn't spewing fud or badmouthing Linux in any way. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Average people would be more open to using Linux if not for the more in depth knowledge/research that is needed compared to Windows, OSX, Android and the likes of others that are as simple as pick up and go.

When speaking of mainstream you have to learn to put your tech knowledge on the back burner and think like an average user who wouldn't be able to tie their own shoe if you didn't tell them how. And Linux is not there.

the editing config files is a good point and all, but the real problem is the lack of mainstream OEM computers that come with it preinstalled. if mint came on every second computer at bestbuy, I doubt many people would insist on switching it for windows 7 after trying it.
post #4248 of 7733
I do stand by my comments on linux's weak point however I have been getting a frustrated thats all it took my all thanks giving weekend to get them ulti boot up and going, lots of trial and error. If any one has any insight on getting extended displays like in windows 7 working that would be awesome. I'm running 7/lubuntu/osx multiboot. aside form these few shortcomings/glitches i really like Lubuntu it's the simplest and cleanest though 12.10 annoyed a small bit by putting additional drivers under software sources (small quirk).

I'm ver familiar with windows so to have fun (yeah becasue gettinga multi boot and extended diplays is so fun right tongue.gif ) I use/try other OSes.
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
post #4249 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

the editing config files is a good point and all, but the real problem is the lack of mainstream OEM computers that come with it preinstalled. if mint came on every second computer at bestbuy, I doubt many people would insist on switching it for windows 7 after trying it.

They'd stick to Windows.

  1. It's what they're familiar with and know.
  2. The price would be the same ( as they are now with Dells, Lenovos and HPs, along with several others that offer it ).
  3. Lack of programs they may be familiar with and/or need. While Linux has great alternatives, see #1.

I used to try to turn people onto it daily at my friends shop. Pretty much introduced every person that came in to Linux and it was not pretty. Just the thought of using something other than Windows or OSX made most of them freak out beyond saving, even after them trying and liking it.
Edited by Shrak - 11/26/12 at 5:06pm
post #4250 of 7733
Behold!
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
This thread is locked