New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show Your Linux - Page 541  

Poll Results: Which Linux Desktop do you use?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 12% of voters (103)
    Gnome 2 / Mate
  • 10% of voters (85)
    Gnome-Shell
  • 13% of voters (117)
    Unity
  • 18% of voters (158)
    Cinnamon
  • 17% of voters (148)
    KDE
  • 15% of voters (134)
    XFCE
  • 4% of voters (39)
    LXDE
  • 1% of voters (15)
    Enlightenment / E17
  • 6% of voters (55)
    OpenBox / FluxBox
  • 3% of voters (30)
    Awesome / DWM
  • 9% of voters (81)
    Other
845 Total Votes  
post #5401 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Won't break for me if it's Cinnamon specific tongue.gif

I've done a fair bit of tweaking to my install as well now and the only thing to ever crash was the Mint Menu they decided to add to Mate tongue.gif

Probably going swap to Debian stable here shortly if I can find the time. Been a bit short on that lately :/

 

I want that menu on Cinnamon but I've been too busy to figure out how to do it (if it's even possible). sad-smiley-002.gif

post #5402 of 7733
VESA drivers should work until you get proprietary ones installed tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post

I want that menu on Cinnamon but I've been too busy to figure out how to do it (if it's even possible). sad-smiley-002.gif

I quite like it, pretty smooth and easy to navigate really fast.
Edited by Shrak - 6/2/13 at 12:00pm
post #5403 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMERIG View Post


How are you guys liking steam for linux so far? how is wine working for you? Does any one else use a native steam client AND a wine client? now that it's the beginning of the month I should be able to start DLing more games. Sometimes i cheat and copy them from my main computer to flash drive then have steam DL the missing pieces. biggrin.gif At least it should work for the wine client any ways.

EDIT: Vesa drivers don't/didn't work on my Tough Book then again i think that particular one had some issues any ways.
Edited by cdoublejj - 6/2/13 at 6:13pm
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
post #5404 of 7733
I'm using both, but the native client is open in the background far more often. Steam through Wine is painfully slow and glitchy in comparison. Overall, I'm quite please with the native client. Everything works as it did in Windows, and it isn't slow at all. I just can't wait to get some more games!

(Space Pirates And Zombies will do just fine until then biggrin.gif)
post #5405 of 7733
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Any problems getting the GPU drivers working for the APU? Sometimes I wish I had extra money just to get one of the newer APUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoder4ever View Post


from what I've learned, the APU's graphics won't work with the open-source graphics upon initial install, but they'll work after the proprietary drivers are installed.
Rookie1337 - CSCoder is correct about [APU's graphics won't work with the open-source graphics,.... but they'll work after the proprietary drivers are installed] wink.gif

but it running the GeForce Card. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

How are you guys liking steam for linux so far? how is wine working for you? Does any one else use a native steam client AND a wine client? now that it's the beginning of the month I should be able to start DLing more games. Sometimes i cheat and copy them from my main computer to flash drive then have steam DL the missing pieces. biggrin.gif At least it should work for the wine client any ways.

EDIT: Vesa drivers don't/didn't work on my Tough Book then again i think that particular one had some issues any ways.
cdoublejj - Unfortunately Ubuntu OS 64bit running on my PC, Steam won't work with 64bit, but required 32bit. Suck!
SCYTHE COOLER
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6200BE 3.8Ghz MSI 970A-G46 SLI | GTS 250 1GB 16GB DDR3 RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3TB | 2TB | HW NB-500GB  ASHURA-HSF | 2X14CM | PnP Win8 64bit |  
MonitorPowerCase
LG 60LN5600 | 1080p Corsair 1000w HAF X 
  hide details  
SCYTHE COOLER
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6200BE 3.8Ghz MSI 970A-G46 SLI | GTS 250 1GB 16GB DDR3 RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3TB | 2TB | HW NB-500GB  ASHURA-HSF | 2X14CM | PnP Win8 64bit |  
MonitorPowerCase
LG 60LN5600 | 1080p Corsair 1000w HAF X 
  hide details  
post #5406 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMERIG View Post

cdoublejj - Unfortunately Ubuntu OS 64bit running on my PC, Steam won't work with 64bit, but required 32bit. Suck!

Steam is compiled against 32bit libraries so you'll need those to be installed. However you can run 32bit libraries on a 64bit OS in Linux. I don't run Ubuntu myself, but whichever repository you're installing it from should install the required multi-arch libraries (to get Steam running) automatically.
post #5407 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

How are you guys liking steam for linux so far? how is wine working for you?.

overall its great. it opens and closes faster than steam on my windows 7 boot and that uses an ssd vs a mechanical on linux (i know i should swap them around but linux seems snappy on mechanical too where as on windows you really miss the ssd)

i did have a problem where by steam would just close with no warning but that was when i was opted into a beta.

CS is running great, trine 2 is great, and a few other non too demanding 2d games are exactly the same like don't starve.

So overall its good, haven't yet tried left4dead2 beta but that's more because its a 10gig download.
post #5408 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMERIG View Post

cdoublejj - Unfortunately Ubuntu OS 64bit running on my PC, Steam won't work with 64bit, but required 32bit. Suck!

Yes it does work with 64bit and quite nicely. Yes it is only a 32bit program, but so is the Windows one.

Most distributions will install all of the dependencies just fine. Some require you to manually install ia32-libs. But Ubuntu installs everything needed ( I used it for about a week when I built my new rig ), so does Mint. Fedora requires a little work and that will frustrate you with SELinux and require you to su -c "setsebool -P allow_execheap 1" as Steam uses heap memory which is pretty improper and SELinux by default does not allow it. Arch installs everything needed last time I installed it from the AUR.
post #5409 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Yes it does work with 64bit and quite nicely. Yes it is only a 32bit program, but so is the Windows one.

Most distributions will install all of the dependencies just fine. Some require you to manually install ia32-libs. But Ubuntu installs everything needed ( I used it for about a week when I built my new rig ), so does Mint. Fedora requires a little work and that will frustrate you with SELinux and require you to su -c "setsebool -P allow_execheap 1" as Steam uses heap memory which is pretty improper and SELinux by default does not allow it. Arch installs everything needed last time I installed it from the AUR.

I'm running Steam via AUR on Arch 64bit. Runs very smoothly. In fact I was shocked at just how well it did run (particularly with a hands on distro like Arch - I was expecting to have to manually fix something).
post #5410 of 7733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I'm running Steam via AUR on Arch 64bit. Runs very smoothly. In fact I was shocked at just how well it did run (particularly with a hands on distro like Arch - I was expecting to have to manually fix something).

Yeah, I installed it the first time during the beta and it was a mess at that time. But installed it again a couple of weeks before I rebuilt my computer and it was night and day difference, absolutely a smooth install and ran perfectly.

Actually just installed it on my laptop which is still using my Arch image and XMonad, just need to make it work with my chat workspace which will be easy. Just need time, such a precious thing lately frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
This thread is locked