Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3820 or 3930K

7K views 142 replies 27 participants last post by  ENTERPRISE 
#1 ·
on the fence here.... which one would you guys recommend?

no video editing,no photoshop, no encoding. strictly a gaming rig setup.

concerned about the locked vs unlocked factor. not really going for record setting stuff. but i would like to be able to hit 5ghz for bragging rights. cooler will be a h100 with a push pull setup (if it fits) in a haf 922.

big price gap between these and dont wanna spend anymore money then i have to.

thanks for any help.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wutang61
View Post

but it is also unlocked. from what i had gathered the 3820 was a "limited" unlock.

the 2700k is also unlocked and should perform as well at similar clocks for strictly gaming. The only advantage a hexcore would have is in the physics department. No current game challenges the 2600k with physics in any way. Plus games are moving to be more GPU-dependent. Quad will handle games totally fine.

For gaming, you'd be much better off going 1155 then taking the money you save and putting it into graphics cards.

#9 ·
Quote:

View Post

be realistic here man, either or are good for gaming. a 2500k is an old processor on an old chipset.

no point to buy the old stuff a week before the new stuff.

1155 with a Gen 3 motherboard will be 'newer' when ivy releases than X79. Then at the end of 2012 X79 will get IB-E which will then be older than the 2013 mainstream release. Worrying about newness is silly with computer components.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MKHunt
View Post

the 2700k is also unlocked and should perform as well at similar clocks for strictly gaming. The only advantage a hexcore would have is in the physics department. No current game challenges the 2600k with physics in any way. Plus games are moving to be more GPU-dependent. Quad will handle games totally fine.

For gaming, you'd be much better off going 1155 then taking the money you save and putting it into graphics cards.

already have the cards, gtx460's. paid about 240 total for them both (PNY xlr8 1gb)

i seen no point to pay top dollar for a 5 series card. sli 460s is still a solid performer for much cheaper

#11 ·
are you trying to be a troll.
you're trying to justify getting a SB-e, not even the best one, for just gaming and you're telling him to be realistic?

As far as benchmarks goes for SB-e so far theres no discernible difference in gaming before. Might as well get an i5-2500k then wait for ivy bridge.

and you say why pay more for a 5 series card when sli 460s performs just as good for cheaper.

same thing with SB-e and i5-2500k for gaming.

nothing to be seen here guys.

#12 ·
Quote:

View Post

on the fence here.... which one would you guys recommend?

no video editing,no photoshop, no encoding. strictly a gaming rig setup.

concerned about the locked vs unlocked factor. not really going for record setting stuff. but i would like to be able to hit 5ghz for bragging rights. cooler will be a h100 with a push pull setup (if it fits) in a haf 922.

big price gap between these and dont wanna spend anymore money then i have to.

thanks for any help.

What video card (s) are you looking to get?

#13 ·
Quote:

View Post

1155 with a Gen 3 motherboard will be 'newer' when ivy releases than X79. Then at the end of 2012 X79 will get IB-E which will then be older than the 2013 mainstream release. Worrying about newness is silly with computer components.

lol its not silly when the "new" stuff is 5 days out.

#14 ·
Quote:

View Post

lol its not silly when the "new" stuff is 5 days out.

Why buy 460s when the 5X series is newer. Pairing X79 with dual 460s is like buying a Ferrari then putting Wal-Mart brand tires on it.

I smell a troll.

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

be realistic here man, either or are good for gaming. a 2500k is an old processor on an old chipset.

no point to buy the old stuff a week before the new stuff.

It's not the 'old stuff'. SB-E isn't a new architecture by any means.

The reason people are suggesting the 2500K over the 3820 is because it's a little over half the price and has an unlocked multiplier which will probably allow it to beat the 3820.

The other advantage of going with 1155 is that you'll get the option to upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on, which again, will probably beat SB-E in the same way the 2600K competes with the 990X for a third of the price.

You're better off just getting a 2500K and a couple of 6970s/GTX 570s.

Quote:

View Post

x79 brings true pci x16 for both sli cards and quad channel memory. so that in itself is a selling point for me over the 2xxx series.

And??

Running in 8x 8x only brings a 2-5% performance hit. Quad channel memory? Yeah, it's great, but when it comes to gaming it's not going to bring the biggest performance gain, certainly nothing worth paying $300-400 extra over a 2500K that's for sure.

X79 is for enthusiasts and that means it comes with a big price tag, don't dismiss 1155 over a few buzz words.

#21 ·
Ivy Bridge will support PCIe 3.0. PCIe 3.0 at x8 has the same bandwidth as PCIe 2.0 x16. Plus with 460s you won't come close to saturating a PCIe 2.0 x8 link. Even 580s have trouble saturating it at x8. Plus with 3.0 you will have use of 3.0 cards in the future. Additionally, IB will have a higher IPC than SB-E, meaning that a quad IB will more than likely outperform your SB-E CPU.

A 2500k now then IB later will give you much higher performance per dollar than X79 and will satisfy all your gaming needs. If the price isn't an issue then you have no reason to use 460s as money clearly isn't a thing.

Your posts just seem very contradictory.

#23 ·
Quote:

View Post

I smell a troll.

Trolls need bigger e-peens

Just get the EVGA SR-3 and the two most expensive hexacore cpus, then drop in four GT 210 for "quad-sli" power

#24 ·
Quote:

View Post

250bucks for 580 like performance doesn't have me complaining.

It doesn't have me complaining either, but it brings into question why you would want an X79 setup if you're looking for the best value performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.