Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Battle Field 3 and GTX590 SLI Low FPS an other issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Field 3 and GTX590 SLI Low FPS an other issues - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobotoo View Post
Is this for games in general? I think I will try this to see what kind of a difference I see in other games.
No, particularly for BF3 because they didn't code it to actually utilize hyperthreading...So the function tries to enable and it actually can't compute the processes to it's full advantage.

If you're doing surround on 590's then the Vram is being choked out and it's not possible to do better than you already are.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
Bad company 2 in stereoscopic 3D surround mode max game settings ran at 60FPS max for 3D

if i disabled 3D with BC2 got 120FPS

so its related to BF3, and im not even running 3D yet

further more the game playing in window mode, is not resolved this is still a huge issue, researching it now.
Kira
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
2600k P8Z68 Delux GTX590 OCZ Revo 2 SSD PCIe x4 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 3 X samsung syncmaster 2233 3D G19 / G13 Corsair HX 1050 
CaseMouse
Corsair RAT9 
  hide details  
Reply
Kira
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
2600k P8Z68 Delux GTX590 OCZ Revo 2 SSD PCIe x4 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 3 X samsung syncmaster 2233 3D G19 / G13 Corsair HX 1050 
CaseMouse
Corsair RAT9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
No, particularly for BF3 because they didn't code it to actually utilize hyperthreading...So the function tries to enable and it actually can't compute the processes to it's full advantage.

If you're doing surround on 590's then the Vram is being choked out and it's not possible to do better than you already are.

how come other ppls running lesser cards like 1 GTX580 can get 70+ fps on ulta settings.

how do you mean the Vram is being choked, sorry for nuub question
Kira
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
2600k P8Z68 Delux GTX590 OCZ Revo 2 SSD PCIe x4 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 3 X samsung syncmaster 2233 3D G19 / G13 Corsair HX 1050 
CaseMouse
Corsair RAT9 
  hide details  
Reply
Kira
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
2600k P8Z68 Delux GTX590 OCZ Revo 2 SSD PCIe x4 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 3 X samsung syncmaster 2233 3D G19 / G13 Corsair HX 1050 
CaseMouse
Corsair RAT9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 30
Your vram on the 590 is limited to 1.5gb/core...period.

It's not 3gb per core...It's 1.5gb per core.

If you run 1 monitor, 1 single monitor, you will get ultra results because you're basically SLI'ing 2 OC'd 570's.

If you're running in 3 monitors, you will run out of ram and the game will putter out.

People that run 3 monitors typically have 580 3gbs in SLI because that's truly, 3gb/core instead of your setup which is 1.5gb/core.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiuz View Post
how come other ppls running lesser cards like 1 GTX580 can get 70+ fps on ulta settings.

how do you mean the Vram is being choked, sorry for nuub question
There is not enough VRAM to supply the GPU's what they need. When you SLI, you share the VRAM among all cards. Since you are basically running four cards SLI'd, they are all sharing 1.5GB.
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
If he was using them in surround, yes.

Also, 3D is not actually enabled in Battlefied 3 yet which, is why it was removed the other day.

The biggest issue is hyperthreading because it actually decreases performance in the game itself rather than makes it zoom zoom.
he is running three monitors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiuz View Post

ok granted im running 3 monitors with Nvidia sterioscopic 3D surround
(the 3D isnt working in game so that another issue ima talk about)
Case Labs th10
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
970 evga 4way 2 gtx590 6gigs muskin ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2tb wd,128 ssd/crucial lg dvd koolance gtx590 block x 2 white heatkiller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX480 rad x2 MCP35x (X2) gentle typhoons 1850 rpm (8) xigamtek fans  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
win pro 64bit samsung 2343 x3 6144x1152 logitech g19 silverstone 1500watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
case labs th10 deathadder 3500dpi cheap one Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty C... 
Other
XSPC dual bay reservoir  
  hide details  
Reply
Case Labs th10
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
970 evga 4way 2 gtx590 6gigs muskin ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2tb wd,128 ssd/crucial lg dvd koolance gtx590 block x 2 white heatkiller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX480 rad x2 MCP35x (X2) gentle typhoons 1850 rpm (8) xigamtek fans  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
win pro 64bit samsung 2343 x3 6144x1152 logitech g19 silverstone 1500watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
case labs th10 deathadder 3500dpi cheap one Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty C... 
Other
XSPC dual bay reservoir  
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
he is running three monitors
The issue is that stereoscopic isn't enabled so, when he tries to run 3 monitors, he's running 1 extended which, is what I've been trying point out a couple times.

3D for this game is NOT available...And won't be for a while.
post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
I have been reading up on the issue and understand it completely, it is actually quite unfortunate that the Vram is the issue with so much punch under the bonnet she got no juice to run on properly.

in hind site, if i had known this from the beginning i probably would have not baught the GTX590's which for a lack of a better work was frikken expensive

so im going to be stuck with the current 40fps, which is playable for the time being until the new gen cards come out which should hopefully have 3Gig+ Vram, and hopefully still work on my Z68 chipset Mobo

would in your honest opinion recommend replacing the two GTX590's with two GTX580's, and then would this allow 60 fps with the eventual sterioscopic 3D

also with MW3 coming out, do you think this would also be a problem with that game coming out, or do we need to wait for release date to see.

thanks again for all your help.
Kira
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
2600k P8Z68 Delux GTX590 OCZ Revo 2 SSD PCIe x4 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 3 X samsung syncmaster 2233 3D G19 / G13 Corsair HX 1050 
CaseMouse
Corsair RAT9 
  hide details  
Reply
Kira
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
2600k P8Z68 Delux GTX590 OCZ Revo 2 SSD PCIe x4 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 3 X samsung syncmaster 2233 3D G19 / G13 Corsair HX 1050 
CaseMouse
Corsair RAT9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiuz View Post
I have been reading up on the issue and understand it completely, it is actually quite unfortunate that the Vram is the issue with so much punch under the bonnet she got no juice to run on properly.

in hind site, if i had known this from the beginning i probably would have not baught the GTX590's which for a lack of a better work was frikken expensive

so im going to be stuck with the current 40fps, which is playable for the time being until the new gen cards come out which should hopefully have 3Gig+ Vram, and hopefully still work on my Z68 chipset Mobo

would in your honest opinion recommend replacing the two GTX590's with two GTX580's, and then would this allow 60 fps with the eventual sterioscopic 3D

also with MW3 coming out, do you think this would also be a problem with that game coming out, or do we need to wait for release date to see.

thanks again for all your help.
Right now you have 4 underclocked 580's...In order to equal it, you'll need 3x580 3gb's...

With 2 cards your performance will be decent but, not as "great" as you'd expect.

With 3, it will look basically as you expect it to look.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Your vram on the 590 is limited to 1.5gb/core...period.

It's not 3gb per core...It's 1.5gb per core.

If you run 1 monitor, 1 single monitor, you will get ultra results because you're basically SLI'ing 2 OC'd 570's.

If you're running in 3 monitors, you will run out of ram and the game will putter out.

People that run 3 monitors typically have 580 3gbs in SLI because that's truly, 3gb/core instead of your setup which is 1.5gb/core.
Actually, a 590 is two underclocked 580's in SLI, not two OC'd 570's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
The issue is that stereoscopic isn't enabled so, when he tries to run 3 monitors, he's running 1 extended which, is what I've been trying point out a couple times.

3D for this game is NOT available...And won't be for a while.
You're not making sense here I'm afraid. The supposition is that he's running out of vram because he's running a very large resolution ... which is in turn caused by using 3 monitors. 3D, or lack thereof, doesn't even enter into this equation. And in fact, 3D doesn't affect vram usage at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminal View Post
There is not enough VRAM to supply the GPU's what they need. When you SLI, you share the VRAM among all cards. Since you are basically running four cards SLI'd, they are all sharing 1.5GB.
There's no 'sharing' the vram between cards in SLI. In fact, it does the opposite of 'sharing' the vram. If you COULD 'share' vram, then you actually would get an 'additive' scenario in terms of memory capacity w/cards in SLI. The fact that memory capacity isn't additive shows that there's no vram sharing, basically.

It's not a 'practical' solution to share vram between cores, because sharing vram would involve movement of data across the PCI-Ex bus from the memory bank on one card the core of the other. This bus is like an order of magnitude slower than the direct connection between GPU core and vram upon each individual card, and hence, such movement would more than destroy any perf benefit added by running SLI.

Shared vram would also create concurrency issues that, in order to solve, would require very elaborate and expensive hardware to be present on every GPU sold, regardless of whether the card was meant to be used in SLI or not. Neither AMD or nVidia are ever likely to decide such a solution makes sense. It's far simpler and cheaper to simply add memory to each card in order to increase capacity.

SO ... whether you're dealing with multiple physical cards in SLI, or a single PCB/dual GPU card like a 590, each gpu core has it's own attached 'memory bank', in this case, each with 1.5GB of capacity. And each GPU 'speaks' ONLY to it's own memory bank. Each card is responsible for creating entire frames, and they do so in an alternating fashion (what's known as AFR or Alternate Frame Rendering).

What it boils down to is that in SLI (or multi-gpu/single pcb) each GPU has to have an exact COPY of all the same data available in it's memory bank that the other cards in the set have. 1 x 580, or 2 x 580, or 4 x 580 ... all these setups have the same total memory capacity, because when you run 2 x 580, while you have 2 x 1.5GB of physical memory, you also have twice as much data that must be stored.

It's very much like the way HD capacity works in RAID-1 (mirrored) mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiuz View Post
I have been reading up on the issue and understand it completely, it is actually quite unfortunate that the Vram is the issue with so much punch under the bonnet she got no juice to run on properly.

in hind site, if i had known this from the beginning i probably would have not baught the GTX590's which for a lack of a better work was frikken expensive

so im going to be stuck with the current 40fps, which is playable for the time being until the new gen cards come out which should hopefully have 3Gig+ Vram, and hopefully still work on my Z68 chipset Mobo

would in your honest opinion recommend replacing the two GTX590's with two GTX580's, and then would this allow 60 fps with the eventual sterioscopic 3D

also with MW3 coming out, do you think this would also be a problem with that game coming out, or do we need to wait for release date to see.

thanks again for all your help.
Yeah, you should've asked here on OCN before buying two 590's It's really a pretty terrible setup overall I'm sorry to say (unless all you care about is 3dMark scores) ... that's way too much GPU power to only have 1.5GB of available vram capacity.

I would sell them and get 2 x GTX580 3GB. That should be plenty enough powah for anything in 2d at any res unless you have 3 x 30" monitors. You may decide you want a third once you go to 3d Surround, but I'd start out w/two and see how it does and decide then whether you need more juice.
Edited by brettjv - 10/28/11 at 2:03pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Battle Field 3 and GTX590 SLI Low FPS an other issues