Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › OS for home server (ESXi or not)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OS for home server (ESXi or not)

Poll Results: Is 4GB of RAM enough for ESXi + these VMs?

 
  • 71% (5)
    No! Run an ordinary OS
  • 28% (2)
    Yes, 4GB of RAM would be enough to run these VMs
7 Total Votes  
post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Good afternoon OCN,

I'm getting a home server set up, it will be running a Pentium D and 4GB of DDR2.

Now, my question is, should I bother running ESXi on just 4GB of RAM. I love the way ESXi integrates with Workstation, and I love the amount of control you get using Vsphere Client. These features are a huge plus to me.

On the server I will be running a few little things, SRCDS, Router/Firewall and possibly a mail server later on. Rather than finding and configuring all the software under Linux or Windows it would be easier to deploy VMs for each of these tasks, Ubuntu running SRCDS, Untangle for the router/Firewall ect.

However do you think I will have enough RAM to run all these VMs? That's the reason I'm having trouble deciding between running an ordinary Linux distro, or running ESXi .
Swag box m8
(13 items)
 
7 x BL460c
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Sapphire HD 5770 2x8GB Corsair 1333MHz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
Corsair Force 3 120GB Aoc F22S+ Aoc F22S+ Powercool 850W 80+ 
Case
NZXT Phantom 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Xeon E5520  Xeon E5520  BL460c G6 12GB ECC DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
1TB of SAN Server 2008 R2 
  hide details  
Reply
Swag box m8
(13 items)
 
7 x BL460c
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Sapphire HD 5770 2x8GB Corsair 1333MHz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
Corsair Force 3 120GB Aoc F22S+ Aoc F22S+ Powercool 850W 80+ 
Case
NZXT Phantom 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Xeon E5520  Xeon E5520  BL460c G6 12GB ECC DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
1TB of SAN Server 2008 R2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
ESXi is a pretty good one to use for the purpose. Though I have also used VMware workstation and dedicated 2 physical NIC's for the router and that worked quite well.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
What slot count will you be running in srcds? Running it on vm's not recommended.
post #4 of 6
I wouldn't mess with ESXi on a server with those specs. Not being able to run 64 bit guests is a bummer because of no VT-x on that processor.

I used to use ESXi on a Pentium D e2180 with 4gb of ram. Ubuntu, and Server 2008. Our srcds server had lag and the whole machine was pretty lack luster..
Tu-100
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k Asrock B75M-ITX EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC G.Skill Ripjaw X  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
SSD - Sandisk Seagate Baracuda Windows 10/Arch SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W 
Case
Lian Li Tu-100B 
  hide details  
Reply
Tu-100
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k Asrock B75M-ITX EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC G.Skill Ripjaw X  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
SSD - Sandisk Seagate Baracuda Windows 10/Arch SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W 
Case
Lian Li Tu-100B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocker23578 View Post
Good afternoon OCN,

I'm getting a home server set up, it will be running a Pentium D and 4GB of DDR2.

Now, my question is, should I bother running ESXi on just 4GB of RAM. I love the way ESXi integrates with Workstation, and I love the amount of control you get using Vsphere Client. These features are a huge plus to me.

On the server I will be running a few little things, SRCDS, Router/Firewall and possibly a mail server later on. Rather than finding and configuring all the software under Linux or Windows it would be easier to deploy VMs for each of these tasks, Ubuntu running SRCDS, Untangle for the router/Firewall ect.

However do you think I will have enough RAM to run all these VMs? That's the reason I'm having trouble deciding between running an ordinary Linux distro, or running ESXi .
ESXi will chew through something like 800MB - 1GB of RAM on a clean install, leaving you with maybe 3GB of RAM for virtual machines; Maybe 2 VMs with 1GB of RAM allocated each? Not sure if you'll even be able to install ESXi though, depending on the rest of the system specs. You should verify your hardware with the whitebox HCL that's available on the web.

I suppose it won't be too bad if you slap in a couple of SSD for your datastores
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
ESXi is a pretty good one to use for the purpose. Though I have also used VMware workstation and dedicated 2 physical NIC's for the router and that worked quite well.
Cool, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_sj123 View Post
What slot count will you be running in srcds? Running it on vm's not recommended.
8 slot due to crappy upload :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyfskills View Post
I wouldn't mess with ESXi on a server with those specs. Not being able to run 64 bit guests is a bummer because of no VT-x on that processor.

I used to use ESXi on a Pentium D e2180 with 4gb of ram. Ubuntu, and Server 2008. Our srcds server had lag and the whole machine was pretty lack luster..
With 4GB RAM in total there is no point running 64 bit VMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
ESXi will chew through something like 800MB - 1GB of RAM on a clean install, leaving you with maybe 3GB of RAM for virtual machines; Maybe 2 VMs with 1GB of RAM allocated each? Not sure if you'll even be able to install ESXi though, depending on the rest of the system specs. You should verify your hardware with the whitebox HCL that's available on the web.

I suppose it won't be too bad if you slap in a couple of SSD for your datastores
3GB of RAM is enough for my uses, temporarily though.
Swag box m8
(13 items)
 
7 x BL460c
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Sapphire HD 5770 2x8GB Corsair 1333MHz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
Corsair Force 3 120GB Aoc F22S+ Aoc F22S+ Powercool 850W 80+ 
Case
NZXT Phantom 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Xeon E5520  Xeon E5520  BL460c G6 12GB ECC DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
1TB of SAN Server 2008 R2 
  hide details  
Reply
Swag box m8
(13 items)
 
7 x BL460c
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8P67 Sapphire HD 5770 2x8GB Corsair 1333MHz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
Corsair Force 3 120GB Aoc F22S+ Aoc F22S+ Powercool 850W 80+ 
Case
NZXT Phantom 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Xeon E5520  Xeon E5520  BL460c G6 12GB ECC DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
1TB of SAN Server 2008 R2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › OS for home server (ESXi or not)