Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Why Build a Gaming Computer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Build a Gaming Computer? - Page 3  

post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Clearly you are doing something wrong, the problem is not with the computer but with what's between the chair and the keyboard .
Evidence:

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-b...3-performance/

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG !!!

Driver Sweeper. Reinstall latest Catalyst drivers (BF3/Rage patch ones). Defrag HDD. Run CCleaner. Reinstall Battlefield 3. Run HD Tune and check for errors. Reinstall Windows.

Most importantly, retest your OC.

Most likely is your overclock isn't stable. Certainly that's what it sounds like. Try the game again with your CPU and GPU at stock.

Which test in Prime95 did you run? What are your CPU voltage settings?

How about your GPU overclock settings?

There is LITERALLY no way that any stable Phenom II x4 @ 4ghz and 6950 unlocked @ 900mhz cannot handle 1024x768 at high for 60fps smooth.

I'm sorry, you're either lying, flaming, making user-end mistakes and not realizing it or simple trolling for the fun of it.

Regardless, something is not right, because the system you claim at the specs you state WILL, unequivocally, run Battlefield 3 @1080p on high with frames only occasionally dipping below 50fps (min fps) and that is almost DOUBLE the screen resolution.

I also know this FOR A FACT based on personal experience with the same GPU (stock) and an AMD Phenom II @ 4ghz (battlefield 3 doesn't see increased performance for more cores, as ALL testing shows very clearly).

The obvious conclusion is that you have made a mistake. Or you are lying and flaming.

Am I missing anything here?
Edited by willibj - 10/29/11 at 6:17pm
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post
Ok, then don't do it.

[edit]
Also, bf3 runs fine on my i3 530, so I wouldn't say a dual core is required. In fact, I noticed little difference from my 2500k, and my i3, only min frame was a little lower.
runs perfect on my dual core too!!!
Ov3RK11L
(15 items)
 
Project Toaster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-661 4.2Ghz 24/7 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire HD7950 950mhz OC Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F60 SSD + WD 500GB black LG burner Antech Kuhler 620 w/ NoiseBlocker fan Win 7 Ult. 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" LED LCD 1920X1080 Logitech G510 600W 80+ Lian Li PC-Q08B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
R.A.T 7  Frys?? lol onboard..ohh yahhhhhhh  
  hide details  
Ov3RK11L
(15 items)
 
Project Toaster
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-661 4.2Ghz 24/7 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Sapphire HD7950 950mhz OC Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F60 SSD + WD 500GB black LG burner Antech Kuhler 620 w/ NoiseBlocker fan Win 7 Ult. 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" LED LCD 1920X1080 Logitech G510 600W 80+ Lian Li PC-Q08B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
R.A.T 7  Frys?? lol onboard..ohh yahhhhhhh  
  hide details  
post #23 of 61
A Phenom II 965 will set you back $80-ish dollars and a dedicated sound card will run you $15-20 if you get something less than amazing...

If you're playing on a CRT TV I don't see the point though.
AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 ASRock AB350M Pro4 Sapphire Radeon NITRO Rx 480 8GB 2x8GB DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Wraith Spire Windows 10 x64 Pro LG 27U68 - 27in - 4K -IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Red w/ White LEDs Corsair HX1050W Gold Corsair 88R mATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
RatPadz XL 
  hide details  
AMD Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 ASRock AB350M Pro4 Sapphire Radeon NITRO Rx 480 8GB 2x8GB DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Wraith Spire Windows 10 x64 Pro LG 27U68 - 27in - 4K -IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX Red w/ White LEDs Corsair HX1050W Gold Corsair 88R mATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
RatPadz XL 
  hide details  
post #24 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL View Post
At that resolution, your CPU is the bottleneck
That's right but I never saw my CPU usage go above 85%. Plus framerate dropped considerably when I changed resolutions and quality settings. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a CPU bottleneck.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by naizarak View Post
That's right but I never saw my CPU usage go above 85%. Plus framerate dropped considerably when I changed resolutions and quality settings. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a CPU bottleneck.
you clearly haven't seen this game running on the 360
choppiness, bad graphics even if you install the "HD Texture pack", oh and MS servers have been going up and down since launch.
its a bugfest, the PS3 is the more stable of the 2 consoles.
Both pale in comparison to the PC Version.
post #26 of 61
first of all your playing at a very low resolution so your not fully utilizing your gpu. at that low resolution everything is centered around your cpu, and your cpu sucks. so try upping the resolution to 1080p. you should be able to get 60+ fps on high settings with no AA
my pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5ghz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Radeon HD 6870 900/1015 1050/1130 8 GB Gskills Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm LightScribe Media All in One Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor 1920x1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
wut? Rosewill HIVE Series 750w Rosewill Atx Midtower Case wut? 
Mouse Pad
nope 
  hide details  
my pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5ghz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Radeon HD 6870 900/1015 1050/1130 8 GB Gskills Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm LightScribe Media All in One Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor 1920x1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
wut? Rosewill HIVE Series 750w Rosewill Atx Midtower Case wut? 
Mouse Pad
nope 
  hide details  
post #27 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post
Evidence:

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-b...3-performance/

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG !!!

Driver Sweeper. Reinstall latest Catalyst drivers (BF3/Rage patch ones). Defrag HDD. Run CCleaner. Reinstall Battlefield 3. Run HD Tune and check for errors. Reinstall Windows.

Most importantly, retest your OC.

Most likely is your overclock isn't stable. Certainly that's what it sounds like. Try the game again with your CPU and GPU at stock.

Which test in Prime95 did you run? What are your CPU voltage settings?

How about your GPU overclock settings?

There is LITERALLY no way that any stable Phenom II x4 @ 4ghz and 6950 unlocked @ 900mhz cannot handle 1024x768 at high for 60fps smooth.

I'm sorry, you're either lying, flaming, making user-end mistakes and not realizing it or simple trolling for the fun of it.

Regardless, something is not right, because the system you claim at the specs you state WILL, unequivocally, run Battlefield 3 @1080p on high with frames only occasionally dipping below 50fps (min fps) and that is almost DOUBLE the screen resolution.

I also know this FOR A FACT based on personal experience with the same GPU (stock) and an AMD Phenom II @ 4ghz (battlefield 3 doesn't see increased performance for more cores, as ALL testing shows very clearly).

The obvious conclusion is that you have made a mistake. Or you are lying and flaming.

Am I missing anything here?
Thanks for the help, but I've pretty much tried everything you said. Not only did I reinstall Windows, but I installed latest drivers for everything from a virgin install. My overclock is plenty stable, running the game with my card and CPU at stock speeds made performance even worse. Dropping my CPU from 4 to 3.2ghz made CPU usage jump from 85% to 95%. No matter what I try game stutters too much and in the middle of some of the larger maps FPS drops to 30-ish.
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post
Evidence:

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-b...3-performance/

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG !!!

Driver Sweeper. Reinstall latest Catalyst drivers (BF3/Rage patch ones). Defrag HDD. Run CCleaner. Reinstall Battlefield 3. Run HD Tune and check for errors. Reinstall Windows.

Most importantly, retest your OC.

Most likely is your overclock isn't stable. Certainly that's what it sounds like. Try the game again with your CPU and GPU at stock.

Which test in Prime95 did you run? What are your CPU voltage settings?

How about your GPU overclock settings?

There is LITERALLY no way that any stable Phenom II x4 @ 4ghz and 6950 unlocked @ 900mhz cannot handle 1024x768 at high for 60fps smooth.

I'm sorry, you're either lying, flaming, making user-end mistakes and not realizing it or simple trolling for the fun of it.

Regardless, something is not right, because the system you claim at the specs you state WILL, unequivocally, run Battlefield 3 @1080p on high with frames only occasionally dipping below 50fps (min fps) and that is almost DOUBLE the screen resolution.

I also know this FOR A FACT based on personal experience with the same GPU (stock) and an AMD Phenom II @ 4ghz (battlefield 3 doesn't see increased performance for more cores, as ALL testing shows very clearly).

The obvious conclusion is that you have made a mistake. Or you are lying and flaming.

Am I missing anything here?
dis you are doing something wrong op
my pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5ghz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Radeon HD 6870 900/1015 1050/1130 8 GB Gskills Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm LightScribe Media All in One Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor 1920x1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
wut? Rosewill HIVE Series 750w Rosewill Atx Midtower Case wut? 
Mouse Pad
nope 
  hide details  
my pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5ghz Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Radeon HD 6870 900/1015 1050/1130 8 GB Gskills Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm LightScribe Media All in One Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor 1920x1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
wut? Rosewill HIVE Series 750w Rosewill Atx Midtower Case wut? 
Mouse Pad
nope 
  hide details  
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post
Evidence:

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-b...3-performance/

Am I missing anything here?
Nope, think that covers it.

Maybe an SSD would help. I was running raid 0 caviar blacks before, night and day difference.
Edited by imh073p - 10/29/11 at 6:36pm
Old and busted
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 DO @ 4ghz EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 570 12gb Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex Turbo 120gb,WDCB 500gbX2, 1tb, 2tb Sony DVDRW Win7 Ultimate x64 Retail 24"1920x1200, 37"1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair TX850 w/unisleeve extentions NZXT Phantom--White Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razer goliathus 
  hide details  
Old and busted
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 DO @ 4ghz EVGA X58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 570 12gb Gskill 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex Turbo 120gb,WDCB 500gbX2, 1tb, 2tb Sony DVDRW Win7 Ultimate x64 Retail 24"1920x1200, 37"1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair TX850 w/unisleeve extentions NZXT Phantom--White Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razer goliathus 
  hide details  
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by naizarak View Post
That's right but I never saw my CPU usage go above 85%. Plus framerate dropped considerably when I changed resolutions and quality settings. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a CPU bottleneck.
What does your GPU usage look like?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 (3.7@1.275) ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming 4K GTX 980 SC (1482/2000) 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB) Seagate Barracuda (2TB) CM MasterLiquid 120 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE258Q Corsair Strafe RGB EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Alienware Predator (2004) 
MouseAudioOther
Corsair Scimitar RGB Hyper X Cloud II XBox One Controller 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 (3.7@1.275) ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming 4K GTX 980 SC (1482/2000) 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB) Seagate Barracuda (2TB) CM MasterLiquid 120 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VE258Q Corsair Strafe RGB EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Alienware Predator (2004) 
MouseAudioOther
Corsair Scimitar RGB Hyper X Cloud II XBox One Controller 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Why Build a Gaming Computer?