The thing is: if my SLI hack goes wrong before Black Friday. I will probably jump on the i7-2500k.. :|
You bring up a good point, IB isn't too far away - like a year, right?
I was just thinking how the only thing I do is browse forums and play BF3 (maybe an MMORPG called AION, and I rarely make ganking videos). So if BF3 isn't fully optimizing ANY CPU with a 580 used to benchmark, I don't think it's worth it for me to upgrade, til they fix the game I'm playing.
So sorry to ask here, but do you think it's best for me to score a deal during black friday or wait one year (if it is really one year) for IB. Like I said, I'm surviving with what I got (single 470, waiting for PSU + mobo hack + bridge) until they fix BF3. I'm just questioning, if it will fit my budget to get IB in the future.. or just score a deal on a mobo/ram/cpu for under $550.
It will support SLI natively and IB should clock like the dickens under even semi-decent cooling since it's 22nm.
I pretty much use my PC for the same things you do, with more games being played but I still don't see the need for these SB-E chips, especially not at the price point that they're demanding.
IB should be here around Q2 2012, so we SHOULD see them around late March to early April. Not too much longer if you think you could hold out with what you got.
OR, you could just pick up a Gen3 ready Z68 board and get a 2500K now and just sell it when IB comes. Less waiting for a more powerful rig but a bit more money lost from reselling the 2500K.
Either way it seems like Intel is the place to be for the next few months since the Bulldozer fiasco.