Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Burning Smell When Stress Testing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burning Smell When Stress Testing - Page 3

post #21 of 33
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah, did I mention, IBT takes at most 20 minutes to run. That's 4% of the total time it takes to check if something is Prime95 stable.
R34
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (3.4 GHz) Asus P5QL Pro Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/11 Lite-On 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional x64 AOC e2236VW 21.5" LED 
PowerCase
HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze Generic TrendSonic 
  hide details  
Reply
R34
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (3.4 GHz) Asus P5QL Pro Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/11 Lite-On 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional x64 AOC e2236VW 21.5" LED 
PowerCase
HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze Generic TrendSonic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
Oh yeah, did I mention, IBT takes at most 20 minutes to run. That's 4% of the total time it takes to check if something is Prime95 stable.
Srry to say this but people have run 100+ ibt runs and failed 15min into prime 95.
I have had both pass to only fail folding@home in 4 hours.
post #23 of 33
If you use more voltage the smell might increase for a while, whilst your VRMs 'burn in' and then the relative electrolytic capacitance will compensate for having only 4 vrms, if you then apply the flux capacitor you can turn them into 8. Thats what i heard anyway.

In my opinion though i would just decrease your voltage.
post #24 of 33
i'd put those enzotech sinks on the vrms and go at it ..lolz..maybe aim a small fan at them ..but i'd back off of the volts until i did..
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by konspiracy View Post
Srry to say this but people have run 100+ ibt runs and failed 15min into prime 95.
I have had both pass to only fail folding@home in 4 hours.
They probably ran small iterations of it.
Anything 4GB and above would do the trick.

The people complaining about IBT are probably the same people that can't pass it with their desired clock speeds.
They can spin it however they want, they're not stable.
Dead Ryzen
(12 items)
 
Penguin Box
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X  MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (2 x 16G... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB Crucial MX300 2TB Noctua NH-U12S  BenQ XL2730Z - 27” 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Keyboard 4 Professional Soft Tactile (MX Br... Seasonic X-850(SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) Fractal Design Define Mini C BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K @4.6 GHz P8Z68-V AMD Radeon RX 480 (ref. design) Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 17000) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB Noctua NH-U12 S Arch Linux Seasonic SS-520FL 520W 
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 
  hide details  
Reply
Dead Ryzen
(12 items)
 
Penguin Box
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X  MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (2 x 16G... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB Crucial MX300 2TB Noctua NH-U12S  BenQ XL2730Z - 27” 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Keyboard 4 Professional Soft Tactile (MX Br... Seasonic X-850(SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) Fractal Design Define Mini C BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K @4.6 GHz P8Z68-V AMD Radeon RX 480 (ref. design) Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 17000) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB Noctua NH-U12 S Arch Linux Seasonic SS-520FL 520W 
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin View Post
The people complaining about IBT are probably the same people that can't pass it with their desired clock speeds.
They can spin it however they want, they're not stable.
My thoughts exactly.

Personally I don't rely on IBT alone, but when finding stable voltages for my overclock, I use it exclusively first, and when I go too low that I fail, I increase the voltage by 2 notches and then run IBT again. If it passes, that's when I run Prime95 for as long as I can.

I don't see the point of running Prime95 for 8 hours for every single voltage that I try. That would take me weeks before I find my stable voltage, when I could use IBT for the preliminaries and then both IBT and Prime95 for the final stable voltage.

Now back to the topic, is 1.3125V really too high that it can roast my VRMs? I've seen people here run 1.6V with their Q6600s and yes, given that they have better VRM cooling, that's still much higher than 1.3125, which I believe is the stock voltage for some people with Q6600s that have particularly high VIDs.

Also, it came to my attention that I wouldn't really be able to test how effective my VRM heatsinks would be, since unlike core temps which show up on HWMonitor, no such sensors are directly attached to the VRMs (on my board at least).

How would I know that once I get VRM heatsinks, my VRMs would run cooler? I'll sniff around once again? What if by the time I sense a faint smell, I've already fried my VRMs?
R34
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (3.4 GHz) Asus P5QL Pro Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/11 Lite-On 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional x64 AOC e2236VW 21.5" LED 
PowerCase
HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze Generic TrendSonic 
  hide details  
Reply
R34
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (3.4 GHz) Asus P5QL Pro Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/11 Lite-On 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional x64 AOC e2236VW 21.5" LED 
PowerCase
HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze Generic TrendSonic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Personally I don't rely on IBT alone, but when finding stable voltages for my overclock, I use it exclusively first, and when I go too low that I fail, I increase the voltage by 2 notches and then run IBT again. If it passes, that's when I run Prime95 for as long as I can.

I don't see the point of running Prime95 for 8 hours for every single voltage that I try. That would take me weeks before I find my stable voltage, when I could use IBT for the preliminaries and then both IBT and Prime95 for the final stable voltage.

Now back to the topic, is 1.3125V really too high that it can roast my VRMs? I've seen people here run 1.6V with their Q6600s and yes, given that they have better VRM cooling, that's still much higher than 1.3125, which I believe is the stock voltage for some people with Q6600s that have particularly high VIDs.

Also, it came to my attention that I wouldn't really be able to test how effective my VRM heatsinks would be, since unlike core temps which show up on HWMonitor, no such sensors are directly attached to the VRMs (on my board at least).

How would I know that once I get VRM heatsinks, my VRMs would run cooler? I'll sniff around once again? What if by the time I sense a faint smell, I've already fried my VRMs?
Unless I'm missing something here...

The standard is to try and keep your Vcore at 1.4v or below

Some people with 4.8-5.2ghz go from 1.4-1.45

1.5v is said to be the max "safe" voltage (although nothing has been proven)
Work Horse 2.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz 1.410v ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Galaxy GeForce 660ti 3GB 8G G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Corsair 120GB SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS VG248QE 144hz RR Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec 1200 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Work Horse 2.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz 1.410v ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Galaxy GeForce 660ti 3GB 8G G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Corsair 120GB SSD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ASUS VG248QE 144hz RR Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec 1200 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 33
Thread Starter 
Well I'm way below 1.4V, and yet I seem to be toasting my VRMs.

I was able to purchase VRM heatsinks (well they were VGA RAM heatsinks but I cut them in half to fit on my VRMs), though I can't be sure if it actually helps with the temps
R34
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (3.4 GHz) Asus P5QL Pro Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/11 Lite-On 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional x64 AOC e2236VW 21.5" LED 
PowerCase
HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze Generic TrendSonic 
  hide details  
Reply
R34
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (3.4 GHz) Asus P5QL Pro Inno3D GTX 460 768MB 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/11 Lite-On 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional x64 AOC e2236VW 21.5" LED 
PowerCase
HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze Generic TrendSonic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

I still don't know why people run IBT. Just to see if their rig will die from heat or not?
This, i have had a system stable under IBT but only 6 hours of Prime95.

IBT also pushes temps too high for my liking , lets me overclock further with Prime95 than with IBT.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
That P5QL PRO is not suited for extreme overclocking, as it has only 4 CPU power phases, and only a 4-pin CPU power connector instead of 8 pin.

So take it easy...

That's the oddest layout I've ever seen, looks almost like a proprietary OEM board. The 24-pin power connector being right above the PCIe x16 slot, wat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Burning Smell When Stress Testing