Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Eurogamer] Nintendo loss big but not gargantuan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Eurogamer] Nintendo loss big but not gargantuan - Page 3

post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan_Nightwing View Post
The Wii worked because Nintendo knew who to market it to: Parents. They marketed it as an activity based system that they too can enjoy with their children at a time when childhood obesity and family time were of great concern. Not only that, but it gets their kids who already play video games to begin with, to MOVE while playing their video games. Thus making the parents feel like their doing their child a service by getting them to exercise without them knowing it.

And I've played around with a 3ds. The 3d is awful. You have to be holding it at the perfect viewing angle to even get the 3d effect, and at that the 3d isn't much.
And that was just a plus for the Wii. But it still had tons of games that weren't just about exercise. Namely all of the 1st party games, which is the reason anyone buys a Nintendo system in the first place.

And it obviously seems like you haven't tried the 3DS long. Everyone I've talked to loves it, and once you play with it, it's impossible to play games without it. Playing on my PC even feels a bit lackluster now as far as eye candy goes.
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan_Nightwing View Post
And I've played around with a 3ds. The 3d is awful. You have to be holding it at the perfect viewing angle to even get the 3d effect, and at that the 3d isn't much.
I don't think anyone can emphasise this enough. Nintendo have serious serious problems with the 3DS. Price has dropped drastically, no killer game on the horizon and PS Vita which is basically a super mini tablet around the corner. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of handheld. The game has changed too much. I think Nintendo will end up like Kodak in the handheld game.
2600k
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K P8P67 Pro 4730 8GB Corsair 1333 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 7 x64 Logitech K750 Antec 1200 Microsoft Habu 
  hide details  
Reply
2600k
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K P8P67 Pro 4730 8GB Corsair 1333 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 7 x64 Logitech K750 Antec 1200 Microsoft Habu 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustKill View Post
And that was just a plus for the Wii. But it still had tons of games that weren't just about exercise. Namely all of the 1st party games, which is the reason anyone buys a Nintendo system in the first place.

And it obviously seems like you haven't tried the 3DS long. Everyone I've talked to loves it, and once you play with it, it's impossible to play games without it. Playing on my PC even feels a bit lackluster now as far as eye candy goes.
You MUST be joking... 3ds better than PC?!

And their first party games is not the reason why anyone buys a Nintendo system in the first place.
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan_Nightwing View Post
You MUST be joking... 3ds better than PC?!
That isn't what I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan_Nightwing View Post
And their first party games is not the reason why anyone buys a Nintendo system in the first place.
and THAT is laughable Also yes. Yes it is.

What i DID say about the PC is that 3D is a nice effect, and it would add to the experience a lot.
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustKill View Post
That isn't what I said



and THAT is laughable Also yes. Yes it is.

What i DID say about the PC is that 3D is a nice effect, and it would add to the experience a lot.

Usually when one says that something is lackluster compared to another, it means the item said to be lackluster is inferior to the other. So yes... yes you did...

And again, you are wrong about the Wii. It's not the only reason why anyone buys a Wii to begin with.
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan_Nightwing View Post
Usually when one says that something is lackluster compared to another, it means the item said to be lackluster is inferior to the other. So yes... yes you did...

And again, you are wrong about the Wii. It's not the only reason why anyone buys a Wii to begin with.
Lol do I need to bust out the dictionary definition. It just means it's lacking in liveliness, excitement, etc. And that was being directed towards how it looks, as far as eye candy goes. So no where did I say inferior as a whole.

And I also believe I said "Nintendo consoles." Not specifically Wii, which is true throughout the generations. Because ya know... I'm sure no one bought a SNES for Monopoly or N64 for Lego Racers. And that fact still carries on to the Wii, in addition to a new selling point, which is the motion sensing.
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
Wow almost a billion dollars. Hopefully thing will pick up for them. Because the more players there arethe better for the consumers. Also big hit titles are on the way for the 3ds so time will tell
Fixed that for you.

And that stinks for Nintendo. Last thing I want to see is Nintendo turn into what Sega is now.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 2TB in Raid 1 HP dvd1040i Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Acer 21.5 Widescreen 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX Professional Series 850w 80 Plus Gold Antec 902 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 2TB in Raid 1 HP dvd1040i Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Acer 21.5 Widescreen 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX Professional Series 850w 80 Plus Gold Antec 902 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 53
Folks criticizing Nintendo for "rehashing" their games need to fill me in on the rest of the industry, because I'm apparently missing all of that rampant innovation and risk taking.

What's new and exciting about Crysis, Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, etc. that we haven't seen a thousand times before? How about Mass Effect, Fallout, Dragon Age or Skyrim? Heck, a number of these are simply "streamlined" versions of games we saw a decade or two ago.

Mario is still one of the premiere platformers, offering countless new levels with each main sequel. What more do you want from your platformer?

The same goes for The Legend of Zelda. New puzzles, dungeons, items, etc. The games may play similarly, but as I mentioned above, most games do. The events that take place in each Zelda game still offer more variety than most folks give them credit. Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask, Wind Waker to Twilight Princess.

They're all actually quite different, and Skyward Sword appears to continue this trend.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustKill View Post
Lol do I need to bust out the dictionary definition. It just means it's lacking in liveliness, excitement, etc. And that was being directed towards how it looks, as far as eye candy goes. So no where did I say inferior as a whole.

And I also believe I said "Nintendo consoles." Not specifically Wii, which is true throughout the generations. Because ya know... I'm sure no one bought a SNES for Monopoly or N64 for Lego Racers. And that fact still carries on to the Wii, in addition to a new selling point, which is the motion sensing.
My point exactly. How is 3ds more exciting than PC?

And NOW you are making more sense when you no longer say it's the only selling point for their system.
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Nightwing
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 Asus P6X58D-E MSI 390x Gaming 8 GB  XFX Radeon HD 5870 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI 290X Lightning G.SKILL PI Series 6GB WD Caviar Black HDD Crucial C300 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Clickfree External HDD HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive Corsair H70 with GT AP-15's in Push/Pull Intake... Scythe Kama Flex SA1325FDB12H Case Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Alienware Optx AW2310 Deck Legend - Ice - Linear PS/2 Interface Corsair AX750 Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enthoo Luxe Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse SteelSeries SX Game Pad Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Magni Headphones Amplifier Logitech C905 Webcam Blue Yeti Microphone 
OtherOtherOther
Bose QC3 Headphones Creative 2.1 Speaker System Xbox 360 Wired Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 53
Once Marios giant snoz hits ios/android or whatever in a couple years they will be bajillionaires again.
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670k ASRock Z87E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Toshiba DT01ACA200 OCZ Vertex 460 Swiftech H220-X EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover Water Block 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Black Ice Nemesis 120GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow L... Windows 10 BenQ GW Series GW2760HS  Silverstone Tek 450-Watts SFX 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670k ASRock Z87E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Toshiba DT01ACA200 OCZ Vertex 460 Swiftech H220-X EK-FC970 GTX Full Cover Water Block 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Black Ice Nemesis 120GTS Ultra Stealth U-Flow L... Windows 10 BenQ GW Series GW2760HS  Silverstone Tek 450-Watts SFX 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Eurogamer] Nintendo loss big but not gargantuan