Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › What's the big deal about Socket 2011?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the big deal about Socket 2011?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I was of the thinking the Socket 2011 was for 22nm chips.
The Sandy Bridge E is still 32nm....
I have a Q960 and am waiting to upgrade until the socket that will come out that will allow me to run a 22nm chip. Will socket 2011 allow 22nm chips in the future? Do you think the 2011 socket motherboards will be able to upgrade from sandy bridge e to the first stage of 22nm, and then the second stage... tick tock?

I need a little understanding...
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
I was of the thinking the Socket 2011 was for 22nm chips.
The Sandy Bridge E is still 32nm....
I have a Q960 and am waiting to upgrade until the socket that will come out that will allow me to run a 22nm chip. Will socket 2011 allow 22nm chips in the future? Do you think the 2011 socket motherboards will be able to upgrade from sandy bridge e to the first stage of 22nm, and then the second stage... tick tock?

I need a little understanding...
X79 will have Ivy Bridge Enthusiast 22nm chips in probably a year's time. What X79 offers is Quad channel memory, 6 and 8 core chips and a big price tag compared to P67/Z68.

If you're just gaming 1155 will serve you well. If you're benching/Multithreading then 2011 is going to be a monster
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
ok... i like monster... i have 4 vertex 3 drives... and getting 4 more and an lsi card... so I am going to need maybe a dual cpu mother board to go with that... anyway... this is what i want to know

I build on the year with a new socket and die shrink.... so then a year later I can upgrade to the next cpu and have a top of the link machine for 2 years... then I set it out the next two year and watch everyone else upgrade...
I just want to make sure socket 2011 is going to be able to handle 22nm chips...

When do you forsee 22nm chips in a socket 2011...
I guess Intel is just waiting for AMD before they move along at all?
post #4 of 22
I really do not think Intel waits on AMD for anything.Intel is in a class all by itself now.Some years ago there was a possibility for AMD, but not anymore.
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
ok... i like monster... i have 4 vertex 3 drives... and getting 4 more and an lsi card... so I am going to need maybe a dual cpu mother board to go with that... anyway... this is what i want to know

I build on the year with a new socket and die shrink.... so then a year later I can upgrade to the next cpu and have a top of the link machine for 2 years... then I set it out the next two year and watch everyone else upgrade...
I just want to make sure socket 2011 is going to be able to handle 22nm chips...

When do you forsee 22nm chips in a socket 2011...
I guess Intel is just waiting for AMD before they move along at all?
I imagine next year at this time will be when we see 22nn chips on 2011
post #6 of 22
I don't think quad-channel memory is going to give much of a performance boost versus three channel. As far as I can tell the only thing 2011 has going for it is of course ivy Bridge and a lot more PCI-Express lanes for those of us that like many GPUs.
Zybane
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700K @ 5.2 GHz ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Titan V @ 1942 MHz G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3500 MHz CL14 1T 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 Pro - 1TB Windows 10 Pro Acer XR382CQK 38" - 3840x1600 - 76 Hz Wooting One 
PowerMouseAudioAudio
Corsair AX1500i 1500W Titanium Logitech G403 Denon AVR-X7200WA Elac BS 312 Speakers 
AudioAudioAudioOther
MrSpeakers ÆON Headphones Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer Buttkicker LFE Razer Orbweaver Stealth Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Zybane
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700K @ 5.2 GHz ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Titan V @ 1942 MHz G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3500 MHz CL14 1T 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 Pro - 1TB Windows 10 Pro Acer XR382CQK 38" - 3840x1600 - 76 Hz Wooting One 
PowerMouseAudioAudio
Corsair AX1500i 1500W Titanium Logitech G403 Denon AVR-X7200WA Elac BS 312 Speakers 
AudioAudioAudioOther
MrSpeakers ÆON Headphones Velodyne MiniVee Subwoofer Buttkicker LFE Razer Orbweaver Stealth Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
I thought Ivy Bridge was going to be released for Socket 1155?
Edited by dalastbmills - 10/30/11 at 6:22pm
Phyllis
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1800x 4.00GHz @ 1.4v ASRock AB350 Pro4 EVGA 980ti Classified Corsair Vengeance RGB 2966MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD  Seagate 1.5TB HDD Asus OEM CD/DVD R/W XSPC RX240 + XSPC RX 360 + Raystorm CPU block +... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 64bit Asus PG278Q ASUS VG248QE Logitech G710s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX1050W Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Logitech G502 Proteus Core  Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... 
  hide details  
Reply
Phyllis
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1800x 4.00GHz @ 1.4v ASRock AB350 Pro4 EVGA 980ti Classified Corsair Vengeance RGB 2966MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD  Seagate 1.5TB HDD Asus OEM CD/DVD R/W XSPC RX240 + XSPC RX 360 + Raystorm CPU block +... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 64bit Asus PG278Q ASUS VG248QE Logitech G710s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX1050W Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Logitech G502 Proteus Core  Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
It's something new.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalastbmills View Post
I thought Ivy Bridge was going to be released for Socket 1155?
It is. Ivy bridge will be released first on 1155 in march and then on 2011 in november
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Don,
How do you know Ivy bridge will be released in 2011?
How much faster do you think a socket 2011 will be than ivy bridge this march?
I guess now is a time to upgrade since there is a new socket... I just was hoping for 22nm...
Why would intel release home user chips on 22nm... before releasing them to the enthusiast?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › What's the big deal about Socket 2011?