Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Ultra Slim HTPC Build (Mac Mini Alternative)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultra Slim HTPC Build (Mac Mini Alternative) - Page 11

post #101 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mates Rates View Post

Yo man,
What input voltage does your PSU support?
If it only supports 12v then you're only limited to 12v output power adapters. So if you're after a 120w power adapter for instance, you will need to find one thats output is rated at 12v~10a.
If it supports a range of voltages, say 12-25v, you can use any power adapter rated between 12v and 25v.
Thanks, that is very helpful and pretty much answers my question. You directed me in the right direction for the answer. The specs on Newegg state the following for the internal PSU:

Input Voltage Range: 11.2VDC - 14.8VDC
Input Current Range: 12.0A Max @11.2VDC

So as long as I stay within those perimeters for the output rating of the power adapter I think I should be fine.
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 127
hi ben,
congrats on your success!

Would any of you guys mind in sharing some knowledge to help me with my project as I'm not getting anywhere with it

thanks!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1212594/second-attempt-with-the-itek-kiwi#post_16416742
post #103 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joffy81 View Post

hi ben,
congrats on your success!
Would any of you guys mind in sharing some knowledge to help me with my project as I'm not getting anywhere with it
thanks!
http://www.overclock.net/t/1212594/second-attempt-with-the-itek-kiwi#post_16416742
I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I posted some of my ideas in your thread.
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 127
Congrats on your success! I will be doing something with this case as well.

First of all, which AC Adapter did you go with?

Second, for whoever can answer this, the specs say 12A max. If I were to use an adapter rated at 12.5a, does that mean that current level is being "pushed" into the components possibly damaging them, or does that mean the power board will only use 12a still. basically if I were to get something like the 150w adapter posted earlier (12v x 12.5a) would that damage the power board rated at 12A max.

Thanks!
Giggity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6750 (from the botton of the barrel) P5K-E Wifi 8800gts 640 6gb pc8500 patriot extreme / crucial ballistix 
MonitorPowerCase
1280x1024 cheap monitor antec true power trio 650w coolermaster cm690 
  hide details  
Reply
Giggity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6750 (from the botton of the barrel) P5K-E Wifi 8800gts 640 6gb pc8500 patriot extreme / crucial ballistix 
MonitorPowerCase
1280x1024 cheap monitor antec true power trio 650w coolermaster cm690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warensemble View Post

Congrats on your success! I will be doing something with this case as well.
First of all, which AC Adapter did you go with?
Second, for whoever can answer this, the specs say 12A max. If I were to use an adapter rated at 12.5a, does that mean that current level is being "pushed" into the components possibly damaging them, or does that mean the power board will only use 12a still. basically if I were to get something like the 150w adapter posted earlier (12v x 12.5a) would that damage the power board rated at 12A max.
Thanks!
Cool, what components are you planning to put in the build? I actually have been too busy to buy a new AC adapter, so I can't help you there. The specifications state a max of 12A so I would not exceed that. I really couldn't tell you what would happen if you tried it. I would just stick within spec to be safe. If you get a 12A AC adapter just make sure it's not more than 11.2V, as stated by the specs. I wish I could help more.
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 127
Same case, probably same cpu cooler, not sure about the fan or case cooling yet. I have an e6550 C2D lying around that I plan to use. Prob this mobo: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Mini-ITX-Graphics-1333MHz-Desktop/dp/B001BN17XY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332652506&sr=8-3.
It seems amperage ratings don't matter too much as the components will use what they need so long as the adapter provides the minimum to power them. This kind of makes sense since you have higher and lower wattage PSUs and as long as you provide a minimum amperage for all your components with the PSU, it works. Voltages I guess stay the same between PSUs and amperage ratings cause the power ratings to change between models. Also it seems to be recommended to get something with a higher amperage rating (for the necessary voltage) as it extends the life of the component.

Anyways, I found a couple of sites that sell miniITX adapters as well as picoITX PSUs up to 160 watts so one can just order an adapter, or both a new picoITX PSU (these things are tiny and uncased) and matching adapter for a bit more power.

http://www.mini-box.com/
http://www.mini-itx.com/
Giggity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6750 (from the botton of the barrel) P5K-E Wifi 8800gts 640 6gb pc8500 patriot extreme / crucial ballistix 
MonitorPowerCase
1280x1024 cheap monitor antec true power trio 650w coolermaster cm690 
  hide details  
Reply
Giggity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6750 (from the botton of the barrel) P5K-E Wifi 8800gts 640 6gb pc8500 patriot extreme / crucial ballistix 
MonitorPowerCase
1280x1024 cheap monitor antec true power trio 650w coolermaster cm690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 127
Ben the OCer, thank you for posting this thread. I have been trying to figure out how to fit a A8-3870K (which was given to me so I want to use it and I can't return it) into an Antec ISK110 VESA case. (90W adapter, but I hear the PSU is actually 80W).

It has been discouraging so far until I saw your post and saw the wattage your machine draws after the underclock and undervolt. The build I am planning is:

Case: Antec ISK110 VESA
Mobo: Asus F1A75-I Deluxe Mini ITX
RAM: Samsung Low voltage low profile
Storage: Some SSD (undecided)

After reading through your thread it looks like this is possible with the stock ISK110 PSU if I do some liberal underclocking and undervolting.
post #108 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomiflo View Post

Ben the OCer, thank you for posting this thread. I have been trying to figure out how to fit a A8-3870K (which was given to me so I want to use it and I can't return it) into an Antec ISK110 VESA case. (90W adapter, but I hear the PSU is actually 80W).
It has been discouraging so far until I saw your post and saw the wattage your machine draws after the underclock and undervolt. The build I am planning is:
Case: Antec ISK110 VESA
Mobo: Asus F1A75-I Deluxe Mini ITX
RAM: Samsung Low voltage low profile
Storage: Some SSD (undecided)
After reading through your thread it looks like this is possible with the stock ISK110 PSU if I do some liberal underclocking and undervolting.
You're welcome, I'm glad this thread was helpful to you. That sounds like a very cool build. I really like the Antec ISK110 as it has the big mesh side to allow for fresh air to get to all the components. As stated in the OP, with my A8-3850 at 1.6GHz 0.875v it pulls 75W with OCCT and Furmark running. I think I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it was pushing around 80W max. So gaming could still push the PSU hard. You'll have to do some testing and I'd recommend getting a kilowatt meter if you don't have one (like the P3 P4400 I use). When doing the underclocking and undervolting make sure to plug in a higher watt PSU temporilly so you can stability test. Let me know how it goes and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 127
I wont' be doing any gaming on this build (I just completed an Ivy Bridge i5 mITX in a Silverstone SG06 for my main machine after running an Athlon XP for the last 10 years--seriously! Compile times for little phone apps I was writing were taking way too long so I finally upgraded biggrin.gif ) I am hoping to use the 3870K with ISK110 as an HTPC for now and then eventually turn it into a 2-bay 2.5" NAS in the future. To be honest, I hardly watch TV these days, but I can't have a A8-3870K sitting around doing nothing! So I'm hoping to do a tiny, low-cost build, and attach it to the back of my TV.

This will be my first time playing around with clock speeds and voltages. It's really amazing to see how low you were able to get those voltages. I was not looking forward to trying to fasten a high watt PicoPSU in the case (not to mention the cost of a picopsu + adapter is more than the cost of this case!)

How did you do the underclock/undervolt and make it stick? Is it in the BIOS? Or did you use something like K10Stat?

Thanks again for your help.
post #110 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomiflo View Post

I wont' be doing any gaming on this build (I just completed an Ivy Bridge i5 mITX in a Silverstone SG06 for my main machine after running an Athlon XP for the last 10 years--seriously! Compile times for little phone apps I was writing were taking way too long so I finally upgraded biggrin.gif ) I am hoping to use the 3870K with ISK110 as an HTPC for now and then eventually turn it into a 2-bay 2.5" NAS in the future. To be honest, I hardly watch TV these days, but I can't have a A8-3870K sitting around doing nothing! So I'm hoping to do a tiny, low-cost build, and attach it to the back of my TV.
This will be my first time playing around with clock speeds and voltages. It's really amazing to see how low you were able to get those voltages. I was not looking forward to trying to fasten a high watt PicoPSU in the case (not to mention the cost of a picopsu + adapter is more than the cost of this case!)
How did you do the underclock/undervolt and make it stick? Is it in the BIOS? Or did you use something like K10Stat?
Thanks again for your help.
Yep same here, not doing any gaming with my HTPC. For normal HTPC duties my Llano chip sips power and should be well below the 80W of your PSU (after the underclock and undervolt of course). I changed settings in the BIOS as that's the most permanent solution. Otherwise the system might pull too much power when booting. I did some trial and error to find the right clock speed and voltage that was stable and came to a CPU multiplier of 16 (the lowest my motherboard would allow) and voltage to 0.875v in the BIOS. I stress tested with OCCT for 11 hours to confirm full stability. If you need help in the BIOS feel free to post or message me on here.
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Ultra Slim HTPC Build (Mac Mini Alternative)