Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 121

post #1201 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Quote:
Now i wanted to ask how do you decrease boot up time? Takes 4ever to boot up 55-65 seconds! Bios takes ~25-30 but loading screen and windows welcome take incredible long T_T ive seen boot ups in 8-15 seconds WITH bios...
-.- Time to optimize your BIOS...and do you have any USB devices connected?

Yeah, my keyboard, mouse, cam, bluetooth dongle, high speed usb cable biggrin.gif
RAILIGHT
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel SB 2500k GIgabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 16 GB Crucial M4 WD Green 1TB|Hitachi HDT7 1TB 2x WD RE4 500g RAID0 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baraccuda 3TB Corsair H70 Windows 7 64 SP1 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster P2770H Black 27" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 943BWX 19" Razer Lycosa Corsair AX 850 Bitfenix Survivor 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Razer Vespula Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
RAILIGHT
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel SB 2500k GIgabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 16 GB Crucial M4 WD Green 1TB|Hitachi HDT7 1TB 2x WD RE4 500g RAID0 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baraccuda 3TB Corsair H70 Windows 7 64 SP1 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster P2770H Black 27" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 943BWX 19" Razer Lycosa Corsair AX 850 Bitfenix Survivor 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga Razer Vespula Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1202 of 5384
Fantastic guide. I didn't get much sleep last night just playing around. This has been so valuable.

Hibernation saved me 6 GBs! I don't have the courage to delete system restore yet.. Perhaps when I get a little more advanced. 5% (5+ GBs) is a lot of space though so I will probably end up deleting it in the future. I could change it to 1% - does that make system restore kind of useless?

I created a system Image onto USB drive - it asked me to create a system disc and I said no (I didn't have a blank disc). Can I still create a system disc later? Also, how big of a Disc do we need? I don't have Blu-Ray and the file was 22 GBs (I imaged before optimization).

What's wrong with having a Recycle Bin on SSD - Does deleting it in RB not delete it permanently? I used it to delete a bunch of space off my USB drive so I could create a system Image. I disabled RB after.

Hiccups so far:

I could not find ACPI 2.0 option in BIOS (advanced mode). Searched forever.

I could not figure out how to update my SSD firmware in BIOS. Did not see any options.


thumb.gif
Edited by jamor - 12/22/11 at 9:57am
post #1203 of 5384
Getting another agility 3 for xmas for mega raid speeds! yay!
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1204 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post

Does GC still work when in sleep or does the PC have to be fully booted up and at full power?

Not in sleep, only in idle when the SSD is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormXLR View Post

Yeah, my keyboard, mouse, cam, bluetooth dongle, high speed usb cable biggrin.gif
Unplug everything but the KB and Mouse and see if it loads faster. Also some KB and Mice can cause a hang as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post

Fantastic guide. I didn't get much sleep last night just playing around. This has been so valuable.

Hibernation saved me 6 GBs! I don't have the courage to delete system restore yet.. Perhaps when I get a little more advanced. 5% (5+ GBs) is a lot of space though so I will probably end up deleting it in the future. I could change it to 1% - does that make system restore kind of useless?
I use 3% on my drive which is 1.78GB and get like 4-6 restore times.
Quote:
I created a system Image onto USB drive - it asked me to create a system disc and I said no (I didn't have a blank disc). Can I still create a system disc later? Also, how big of a Disc do we need? I don't have Blu-Ray and the file was 22 GBs (I imaged before optimization).
Repair disc is fine with a 700MB CD. You can make one when ever you want. It should be an option above the create a system image option.
Quote:
What's wrong with having a Recycle Bin on SSD - Does deleting it in RB not delete it permanently? I used it to delete a bunch of space off my USB drive so I could create a system Image. I disabled RB after.
Having the recycle bin on the SSD drive just adds writes to it since it moves data from where you deleted it on the drive to the recycle bin. And When you delete it in the recycle bin it still does delete it permanently.
Quote:
Hiccups so far:
I could not find ACPI 2.0 option in BIOS (advanced mode). Searched forever.
New board don't have that option b/c it is enabled at default.
Quote:
I could not figure out how to update my SSD firmware in BIOS. Did not see any options.
thumb.gif
Got to your SSD manufacturers website and see what the newest one is. I have links in the downloads section.
Also SSDlife tool will tell you your firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Getting another agility 3 for xmas for mega raid speeds! yay!

wheee.gif
post #1205 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Quote:
What's wrong with having a Recycle Bin on SSD - Does deleting it in RB not delete it permanently? I used it to delete a bunch of space off my USB drive so I could create a system Image. I disabled RB after.
Having the recycle bin on the SSD drive just adds writes to it since it moves data from where you deleted it on the drive to the recycle bin. And When you delete it in the recycle bin it still does delete it permanently.

Thanks for clearing all of that up.

Does disabling the Trash Bin permanently delete those 'trash deleted files' or do I need to do this manually. Was about 10 GB of songs.
post #1206 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post

Thanks for clearing all of that up.
Does disabling the Trash Bin permanently delete those 'trash deleted files' or do I need to do this manually. Was about 10 GB of songs.

If you have the trash bin disabled for your C drive anything delete from your C drive will be permanently deleted when you delete it.
post #1207 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

If you have the trash bin disabled for your C drive anything delete from your C drive will be permanently deleted when you delete it.

Right. What I meant is that I dumped 10GB of music from an attached USB drive onto my C: Recycle Bin (and emptied it) so that I could fit the SYSTEM IMG on the USB (before I disabled the Trash Bin).

I probably shouldn't worry about something so frivolous though.
post #1208 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

If you have the trash bin disabled for your C drive anything delete from your C drive will be permanently deleted when you delete it.

Right. What I meant is that I dumped 10GB of music from an attached USB drive onto my C: Recycle Bin (and emptied it) so that I could fit the SYSTEM IMG on the USB (before I disabled the Trash Bin).

I probably shouldn't worry about something so frivolous though.

LOL, IF IT ISN'T IN THE TRASH BIN AND NOT IN THE OLD LOCATION IT IS DELETED.
post #1209 of 5384
Sean thanks for your guide it was very helpful during my post Windows 7 64bit SP1 installation. You have managed to combine both the OCZ and the G.Skill guide and simplify it and make it effective.
post #1210 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45nm View Post

Sean thanks for your guide it was very helpful during my post Windows 7 64bit SP1 installation. You have managed to combine both the OCZ and the G.Skill guide and simplify it and make it effective.

Np, glad you like it. biggrin.gif

There is a OCZ and the G.Skill guide?

BTW. I am uploading videos for the steps in the guide so it is even easier to follow now! thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs