Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 148

post #1471 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Alignment is separate for each disk first of all.

So post a screen shot of the SSD.
post #1472 of 5384
i cant get it to display, is there a tool?
post #1473 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Why not?

Use AS SSD. Post a screen shot, you don't need to run the benchmark.
post #1474 of 5384
ohhhh okay, it says its set at a 4k cluster

Thank you very much for the help :]
post #1475 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Up to you really, I can run the 32Gb drive as an OS drive. You will just have very little room after a few programs and such.
I would just suggest using it as an cache if you have a Z68 motherboard.
Ewww, XP, I can't stand that OS lol.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the cache for right now, I'm seeing that the 32 gb will be kind of tight.

From what I've read, I should activate RAID mode and set the SRT software for caching. Anything else i should know or is that it.

Awesome guide btw
post #1476 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyCracker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Up to you really, I can run the 32Gb drive as an OS drive. You will just have very little room after a few programs and such.
I would just suggest using it as an cache if you have a Z68 motherboard.
Ewww, XP, I can't stand that OS lol.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the cache for right now, I'm seeing that the 32 gb will be kind of tight.

From what I've read, I should activate RAID mode and set the SRT software for caching. Anything else i should know or is that it.

Awesome guide btw

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032826.htm?wapkw=%28smart+response%29
post #1477 of 5384
So I bought a PCI-e controller for SATA 3 because I was in Micro Center and thought what the hey... it actually takes time to initialize, lengthening my boot! Is this thing not worth it at all? Am I even going to notice? I just got a combined score of 599 (233 read / 240 write) on the as ssd pass after following your guide. I am very happy thus far! Now I just need to tell windows where to look for my files on my spinpoint f3.
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1478 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi View Post

So I bought a PCI-e controller for SATA 3 because I was in Micro Center and thought what the hey... it actually takes time to initialize, lengthening my boot! Is this thing not worth it at all? Am I even going to notice? I just got a combined score of 599 (233 read / 240 write) on the as ssd pass after following your guide. I am very happy thus far! Now I just need to tell windows where to look for my files on my spinpoint f3.

Yea, PCIe cards take time to initialize, that is just how it is. If you want a faster boot you need to use the native chipset. What does your AS SSD screenshot look like?
post #1479 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Yea, PCIe cards take time to initialize, that is just how it is. If you want a faster boot you need to use the native chipset. What does your AS SSD screenshot look like?

528
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1480 of 5384
Thread Starter 
That is SATA 2 speed. I thought you said you were on the SATA 3 controller?

Few things tho.

I don't think TRIM will work on the add on cards controller
You will most likely get less then the though put you expect unless it it a high end 4x PCIe card
I am not sure on how good your random and 4K reads will be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs