Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 238

post #2371 of 5384
I could use a bit of guidance before I begin installation of my new Samsung 830 SSD (256GB). I really don't want to re-install Windows. I spent a lot of time and found a lot of tips, tricks and utilities to get it running like it does now. I don't know if I'd even remember them all. Here's my current configuration:

Win 7 Pro x64 on an Intel G2 160GB SSD. I have Acronis True Image 10 that I could use to make a system image.

Things that concern me :

1. The Intel SSD is currently in IDE mode (not AHCI) and is not correctly aligned. Does the alignment in any way affect the image I'd make ? Should I instead do a regular backup instead?

2. If I were to switch AHCI on now (BIOS images below), would my Intel SSD even boot up? If I don't switch it on now, then how can I get the new SSD to be in AHCI mode?. I don't know if I can just make a system image to my new SSD, flip it into the master primary position, reboot, go into setup and switch to AHCI and save and all will be well.

3. What's to stop me messing up the alignment on my new SSD?

352

352

356

355

353
Edited by d4005 - 3/10/12 at 12:15pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K 3.5GHz Giga GA-P67A-UD5 Giga HD5850 OC 1GB 16GB DDR3-1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 830 SSD 256GB & 2TB Sata 600  Win 7 Pro x64 LG 27" + Samsung 19" Logitech Illuminated 920-000914 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K 3.5GHz Giga GA-P67A-UD5 Giga HD5850 OC 1GB 16GB DDR3-1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 830 SSD 256GB & 2TB Sata 600  Win 7 Pro x64 LG 27" + Samsung 19" Logitech Illuminated 920-000914 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2372 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4005 View Post

I could use a bit of guidance before I begin installation of my new Samsung 830 SSD (256GB). I really don't want to re-install Windows. I spent a lot of time and found a lot of tips, tricks and utilities to get it running like it does now. I don't know if I'd even remember them all. Here's my current configuration:

Win 7 Pro x64 on an Intel G2 160GB SSD. I have Acronis True Image 10 that I could use to make a system image.

Things that concern me :

1. The Intel SSD is currently in IDE mode (not AHCI) and is not correctly aligned. Does the alignment in any way affect the image I'd make ? Should I instead do a regular backup instead?

Do this:

How to: Back up your OS and recover it Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You will need:
  • EaseUs ToDo Backup (link)
  • A place to backup the data/partition(s)
  • A USB (2GB or larger) or a CD to burn the bootable emergency disk


Step #1: Create the Backup Partition(s)
Now this is when you actually back up the partition(s). If you have a Microsoft System Reserve Partition (usually 100MB) you can either choose to back it up with your C: partition or delete it before. To delete the Microsoft System Reserve Partition follow this guide: (link)

How to back up the system partition(s):


Step #2: Now to restore the partition(s)
  1. Make the bootable emergency disk.
  2. Shut down.
  3. Boot from the emergency disk and start the recovery.

How to make the bootable emergency disk and recover the partition(s):

Then once you back up your OS partitions. Follow this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1226963/how-to-properly-re-align-your-ssd-hdd-partitions
Quote:
2. If I were to switch AHCI on now (BIOS images below), would my Intel SSD even boot up? If I don't switch it on now, then how can I get the new SSD to be in AHCI mode?. I don't know if I can just make a system image to my new SSD, flip it into the master primary position, reboot, go into setup and switch to AHCI and save and all will be well.
If you made the image in IDE mode, restore in IDE mode, then use my guide to switch to ACHI.

Change to AHCI from IDE Mode after Installation:
  1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
  3. Now type Regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window. (If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.)
  4. Locate and then click the following registry sub key:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci
    
  5. In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
  7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
  8. Restart your computer
  9. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot
  10. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Quote:
3. What's to stop me messing up the alignment on my new SSD?
My guide will fix it.
post #2373 of 5384
Sean I checked my HDD raid stripe 0 array for ****s and giggles and AS SSD is showing 31 K alignment, and bad. Is that accurate for HDD arrays? What should I use? Should I bother at all? It is a 1 terrabyte array (2 500GB HDDs).
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2374 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post

Yeah all registry values set to 0 and in IDE mode in will not let me instal isator. I will keep trying various configurations and let you know what I come up with.

Had to do a fresh install of widows. Not sure what went wrong but I needed the fresh install anyway.
The HedgeHog
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Z77-UP7 MSI GTX 680 Twin 4 Gig G.Skill Trident X 2600's and some Dom's Hypers 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Yes, lots of them. LN2  The smallest one I can get! Samsung 2333 HD 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corisar 1200 AX=1.21 jigawatts Fractal Design/Dimastech G5 Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
The HedgeHog
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Z77-UP7 MSI GTX 680 Twin 4 Gig G.Skill Trident X 2600's and some Dom's Hypers 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Yes, lots of them. LN2  The smallest one I can get! Samsung 2333 HD 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corisar 1200 AX=1.21 jigawatts Fractal Design/Dimastech G5 Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2375 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparition View Post

Sean I checked my HDD raid stripe 0 array for ****s and giggles and AS SSD is showing 31 K alignment, and bad. Is that accurate for HDD arrays? What should I use? Should I bother at all? It is a 1 terrabyte array (2 500GB HDDs).

IDK, it is mostly an issue for SSDs. Though it can hurt performance on HDDs. http://www.storagereview.com/impact_misalignment

You can do it if you want, but it may take a while. It may be faster to simply backup the data and recreate the array and reformat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post

Yeah all registry values set to 0 and in IDE mode in will not let me instal isator. I will keep trying various configurations and let you know what I come up with.

Had to do a fresh install of widows. Not sure what went wrong but I needed the fresh install anyway.

Yea, I don't really have much experience with SSD caching so maybe that was the issue. I had some weird stuff happen after I lost a array with it before and had to format both of my drives to fix it.
post #2376 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post


Yea, I don't really have much experience with SSD caching so maybe that was the issue. I had some weird stuff happen after I lost a array with it before and had to format both of my drives to fix it.

Well I couldn't "feel" the difference while using the SSD for Caching so since I had to reformat I just put the OS on the SSD.
The HedgeHog
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Z77-UP7 MSI GTX 680 Twin 4 Gig G.Skill Trident X 2600's and some Dom's Hypers 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Yes, lots of them. LN2  The smallest one I can get! Samsung 2333 HD 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corisar 1200 AX=1.21 jigawatts Fractal Design/Dimastech G5 Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
The HedgeHog
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Z77-UP7 MSI GTX 680 Twin 4 Gig G.Skill Trident X 2600's and some Dom's Hypers 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Yes, lots of them. LN2  The smallest one I can get! Samsung 2333 HD 23" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corisar 1200 AX=1.21 jigawatts Fractal Design/Dimastech G5 Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2377 of 5384
Kudos to Sean. I just finished a build that I have been working on intermittently for the last week in my spare time.
I have finally got all the hardware configured the way I want it. Now starting to work on the software and will do some
benchmarks later. Will start to experiment with some overclocking after that. Thanks to all those at Overclock.net for
all the useful information. This was my first build and wasn't that difficult thanks to all those guides out there and
those willing to spend the time on refining them.thumb.gif
post #2378 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post


Yea, I don't really have much experience with SSD caching so maybe that was the issue. I had some weird stuff happen after I lost a array with it before and had to format both of my drives to fix it.

Well I couldn't "feel" the difference while using the SSD for Caching so since I had to reformat I just put the OS on the SSD.

Oh cool, how is it now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfoster View Post

Kudos to Sean. I just finished a build that I have been working on intermittently for the last week in my spare time.
I have finally got all the hardware configured the way I want it. Now starting to work on the software and will do some
benchmarks later. Will start to experiment with some overclocking after that. Thanks to all those at Overclock.net for
all the useful information. This was my first build and wasn't that difficult thanks to all those guides out there and
those willing to spend the time on refining them.thumb.gif
biggrin.gif

Glad I could help.
post #2379 of 5384
Hey Sean, or any informed guru,

I recently bought an SSD and followed your guide for installation. Well because of mistakes I made with installing programs I am going to reinstall windows on it. So my question is, should I still follow the directions from start to finish? Specifically, should I format the drive and make the partition again like with the original instructions or just reinstall windows and have it clear the drive. Thanks.
post #2380 of 5384
Hi guys. After tryign to do a uefi install with my new m4 I got an error during install sawing windows cannot install files. Error code:0x80070570. This was off a DVD I had. I figured the disk was scratched, so I went about a USB install. I deleted all partitions, formatted the drive, and recreated the partitions. Still no luck. I've also tried an mgr install with no luck. What the heck am I doing wrong? Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs