Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 242

post #2411 of 5386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post


1mb offset? what do you mean by that?

the partition offset is basically sets your alignment.
post #2412 of 5386
Sean I don't know if you have this info in your guide...

If you find that icon images after moving to the SSD from HDD/SSD are not showing. You get the default blank page icon image, but the shortcuts still function normally,

if you go to: C:/ Users "Username". Find AppData (hidden folder), then locate IconCache.db. Rename this to IconCache.db.old. Then restart.
This will fix all the icon images.

Example with my system I unhooked my Raid drives which have my programs on it. After migrating to the SSD the icon images were lost defaulting to generic blank image. Doing the above simply rebuilds the icon cache, restoring the images.
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2413 of 5386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post


1mb offset? what do you mean by that?

the partition offset is basically sets your alignment.

ah, ok, thanks!
post #2414 of 5386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparition View Post

Sean I don't know if you have this info in your guide...

If you find that icon images after moving to the SSD from HDD/SSD are not showing. You get the default blank page icon image, but the shortcuts still function normally,

if you go to: C:/ Users "Username". Find AppData (hidden folder), then locate IconCache.db. Rename this to IconCache.db.old. Then restart.
This will fix all the icon images.

Example with my system I unhooked my Raid drives which have my programs on it. After migrating to the SSD the icon images were lost defaulting to generic blank image. Doing the above simply rebuilds the icon cache, restoring the images.

I followed this before: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html
post #2415 of 5386
Hey Sean,

I just got an M4 128GB last week. I'm about to follow your guide and setup Windows, what I'm confused is do I need to set the alignment manually, or is it done by Windows after running the WEI?

Here's an AS SSD benchmark:
507

I guess I'm limited by the AMD controller, is this okay for my drive? Oh and can you recommend an utility to safely erase my HDD like DBAN, or the SSD erase program in your guide will do?

Thanks biggrin.gif
post #2416 of 5386
Hi Sean,

I used your guide back in December to set up a Crucial m4 on my new build (only have the SSD right now). Thanks again for the great guide, everything has been going well with the set up.

I had always intended to have a Raid 1 set up for data back up on two HDD's. Now that HDD prices have started to come back down to earth I just purchased two identical drives to set it up.

I have been reading that you lose all the data, even windows, on the ssd when setting up the Raid. Is that true??

Also, do I need to set up the drives first, then configure in Bios, or the opposite? I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

I thought you had some guides to setting up raid and new drives in this thread but I can't seem to find them.
post #2417 of 5386
On a Fresh install here my self and thinking about optimizing my system w/some of the tips found here .
Black N Blue Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph II X4 955 BE (C3) @ 3.5GHz MSI NF980-G65 PCS R9 380 4GB 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer BL2KIT25664TN1337 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX LG 20x DVD Lightscribe Burner Win7 Ult x64  Samsung LN-S4095D 1080P 40" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000w Mod'd Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Big Black Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Black N Blue Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph II X4 955 BE (C3) @ 3.5GHz MSI NF980-G65 PCS R9 380 4GB 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer BL2KIT25664TN1337 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX LG 20x DVD Lightscribe Burner Win7 Ult x64  Samsung LN-S4095D 1080P 40" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000w Mod'd Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Big Black Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2418 of 5386
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post

On a Fresh install here my self and thinking about optimizing my system w/some of the tips found here .

Give the viper guide a try, not sure how much it really does with windows 7 yet. From what I'm told more stuff is able to not use resources in the background and with newer tech. and more RAM avail. on most systems it might not make AS big of a difference, but I've followed the viper guide on a few xp systems and was pretty pleased with the results.
Phoenix
(17 items)
 
Lucent Dreams
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Stock Clocks Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M4 1TB WD Black 1TB WD Black ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Still Deciding 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic SS-660XP NZXT Source 210 Black Razer Imperator 2012 Custom Logo 
AudioOtherOther
None AFT PRO-57U All-in-one USB 3.0 5.25" Media Card... Thermaltake ST0026Z Max 5 Duo SATA HDD Rack 
  hide details  
Reply
Phoenix
(17 items)
 
Lucent Dreams
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Stock Clocks Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M4 1TB WD Black 1TB WD Black ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Still Deciding 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic SS-660XP NZXT Source 210 Black Razer Imperator 2012 Custom Logo 
AudioOtherOther
None AFT PRO-57U All-in-one USB 3.0 5.25" Media Card... Thermaltake ST0026Z Max 5 Duo SATA HDD Rack 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2419 of 5386
8GB of ram in use but less background services is all welcome in my book. Link?
Black N Blue Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph II X4 955 BE (C3) @ 3.5GHz MSI NF980-G65 PCS R9 380 4GB 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer BL2KIT25664TN1337 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX LG 20x DVD Lightscribe Burner Win7 Ult x64  Samsung LN-S4095D 1080P 40" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000w Mod'd Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Big Black Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Black N Blue Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph II X4 955 BE (C3) @ 3.5GHz MSI NF980-G65 PCS R9 380 4GB 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer BL2KIT25664TN1337 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX LG 20x DVD Lightscribe Burner Win7 Ult x64  Samsung LN-S4095D 1080P 40" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000w Mod'd Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Big Black Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2420 of 5386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipanzan View Post

Hey Sean,

I just got an M4 128GB last week. I'm about to follow your guide and setup Windows, what I'm confused is do I need to set the alignment manually, or is it done by Windows after running the WEI?

Here's an AS SSD benchmark:

I guess I'm limited by the AMD controller, is this okay for my drive? Oh and can you recommend an utility to safely erase my HDD like DBAN, or the SSD erase program in your guide will do?

Thanks biggrin.gif

Yep, you are fine, alignment is when you install. Your speeds are good for your AMD controller. And to erase the HDD DBAN is good for if you are selling the drive, but if you are not just delete all the partitions on it in disk management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclockname View Post

Hi Sean,

I used your guide back in December to set up a Crucial m4 on my new build (only have the SSD right now). Thanks again for the great guide, everything has been going well with the set up.

I had always intended to have a Raid 1 set up for data back up on two HDD's. Now that HDD prices have started to come back down to earth I just purchased two identical drives to set it up.

I have been reading that you lose all the data, even windows, on the ssd when setting up the Raid. Is that true??

Also, do I need to set up the drives first, then configure in Bios, or the opposite? I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

I thought you had some guides to setting up raid and new drives in this thread but I can't seem to find them.

Here is my basic guide on RAID setup: http://www.overclock.net/t/1227670/how-to-set-up-raid

Read this too: http://www.overclock.net/t/484367/guide-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-raid

When you first set up RAID, when you create the array you lose all the data on the drive if there was any on it. You need to back it up first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post

8GB of ram in use but less background services is all welcome in my book. Link?

My guide under Optimizations after system setup: It was the first thing too lol

Disable unneeded services:
  1. Open the Start Menu, type Services.msc, press Enter
  2. Go to BlackViper
  3. Follow the info to your OS
    Note: Don't worry about this if you don't feel like taking the time to do tweaks your system. This is more for advanced users. I don't even bother with this one myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs