Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 310

post #3091 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantrill View Post

Well Sean, I got the new rig up and running. Good bye to AMD. Windows installed without a flaw. Didn't really have to do anything dif from an HDD install. SSD is running like a bat out of you know what. I didn't really find anything usefull on the Plexter 128 disk, so I just ignored it. Nothing on there I need correct? Posted new speeds on the Plexter SSD thread. All is well! thumb.gif
No need for any of the Plextor software unless you want to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsamurai View Post

This feels like another silly question but if I choose to keep the System Reserve Partition and setup 4K alignment on an HDD will I see any benefit over using the default? Thanks! biggrin.gif
100MB more space lol.
post #3092 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

No need for any of the Plextor software unless you want to use it.
100MB more space lol.

So using 4k over the default won't provide any significant benefits for an HDD?
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3093 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsamurai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

No need for any of the Plextor software unless you want to use it.
100MB more space lol.

So using 4k over the default won't provide any significant benefits for an HDD?
If it is a 4K sector HDD then yes, if not then no.
post #3094 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

If it is a 4K sector HDD then yes, if not then no.

Sorry still learning a ton about HDD/SSD's. How to I tell if it's a 4K HDD? I thought I could simply tell Windows to format it as such when installing the OS, no?
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3095 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsamurai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

If it is a 4K sector HDD then yes, if not then no.

Sorry still learning a ton about HDD/SSD's. How to I tell if it's a 4K HDD? I thought I could simply tell Windows to format it as such when installing the OS, no?

Run CMD as admin, post a screenshot of the CMD Window when you type this:
Code:
fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:
post #3096 of 5384
So I just posted this over in the "Officially-unofficial Vertex 4 thread". Maybe I should have asked here first as there might be a better response. Anyway, this is my current "problem". Im looking into getting a SSD. Long story short, my brothers harddrive is starting to act up, and he has to many games/programs to really get an SSD, just not worth buying a 256 for his needs. Me on the other hand, don't really play THAT many games anymore, and would enjoy a 128 SSD as my main drive. I currently have 2 300GB Velociraptors in RAID0 that I will give my brother, and I am looking to pick up a Vertex 4. Thing is, im running a P6T Deluxe V2 (SATA II). I really don't care that I won't get amazing 500+ numbers as I will be limited to say 260-270 via my SATA II connection. My RAID0 setup pulls amazing numbers, which is why im not sure if I really want to give it up. I get a solid 230 average read in HDTune and I have them short stroked so I get 6.2 latency. Obviously this is nothing compared to a SSD with no latency at all, but has anyone used one of these on a SATA II that can speak to how much faster they are than my current setup. Granted I will be getting the SSD "for free", still hard to give up my V-Raps. Also, maybe the Vertex 4 isn't really the best? I know its not sanforce which makes me a little less weary. I just fallowed your guide and deleted my hibernation files, I cleared out some old games and software I really don't need/won't ever play, and I am sitting at about 96.7 gigs used on my RAID setup. I could probably delete a few more things and get down to say 90, but if im only getting a 128 gig, what is the amount of free space I want it to have? My roomates are playing Diablo 3 A LOT on my PC, as I have a pretty good platform, so it is getting pretty heavy use without a lot of time for garbage collection. I will disable everything I possibly can to make it have as few writes as possible, but this machine is still going to be used quite often all day, or it will be in sleep as it is to loud to sleep with it on. So I guess im just concerned that it won't seem THAT much faster than my RAID setup, and im concerned if a 128 might not be the right move. At this point im fairly sure I can keep it under 110 gigs of used space, should this be ok, seeing as there is no way im going to spend over 250+ on a 256 gig. Any advice would be great! BTW, great job on the thread!
post #3097 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by {EAC} Shoot em UP View Post

So I just posted this over in the "Officially-unofficial Vertex 4 thread". Maybe I should have asked here first as there might be a better response. Anyway, this is my current "problem". Im looking into getting a SSD. Long story short, my brothers harddrive is starting to act up, and he has to many games/programs to really get an SSD, just not worth buying a 256 for his needs. Me on the other hand, don't really play THAT many games anymore, and would enjoy a 128 SSD as my main drive. I currently have 2 300GB Velociraptors in RAID0 that I will give my brother, and I am looking to pick up a Vertex 4. Thing is, im running a P6T Deluxe V2 (SATA II). I really don't care that I won't get amazing 500+ numbers as I will be limited to say 260-270 via my SATA II connection. My RAID0 setup pulls amazing numbers, which is why im not sure if I really want to give it up. I get a solid 230 average read in HDTune and I have them short stroked so I get 6.2 latency. Obviously this is nothing compared to a SSD with no latency at all, but has anyone used one of these on a SATA II that can speak to how much faster they are than my current setup. Granted I will be getting the SSD "for free", still hard to give up my V-Raps. Also, maybe the Vertex 4 isn't really the best? I know its not sanforce which makes me a little less weary. I just fallowed your guide and deleted my hibernation files, I cleared out some old games and software I really don't need/won't ever play, and I am sitting at about 96.7 gigs used on my RAID setup. I could probably delete a few more things and get down to say 90, but if im only getting a 128 gig, what is the amount of free space I want it to have? My roomates are playing Diablo 3 A LOT on my PC, as I have a pretty good platform, so it is getting pretty heavy use without a lot of time for garbage collection. I will disable everything I possibly can to make it have as few writes as possible, but this machine is still going to be used quite often all day, or it will be in sleep as it is to loud to sleep with it on. So I guess im just concerned that it won't seem THAT much faster than my RAID setup, and im concerned if a 128 might not be the right move. At this point im fairly sure I can keep it under 110 gigs of used space, should this be ok, seeing as there is no way im going to spend over 250+ on a 256 gig. Any advice would be great! BTW, great job on the thread!

I made a thread just for this situation lol. Read this over: www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread

Any of the drives suggested would be nice. Since games are mostly sequential reads you may not notice a big difference in games. Get what you can afford.

You are fine with 5-10% free space.

Wall of text hurts my eyes...format better next time. tongue.gif
post #3098 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

I made a thread just for this situation lol. Read this over: www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread
Any of the drives suggested would be nice. Since games are mostly sequential reads you may not notice a big difference in games. Get what you can afford.
You are fine with 5-10% free space.
Wall of text hurts my eyes...format better next time. tongue.gif

LOL, sorry man. Was caught up in the new computer parts moment. Walls of text just happen... lol. Yea ill read that over real quick and if I have anymore question ill be back. Thanks!
post #3099 of 5384
Yea, Sorry. Totally posted in the wrong thread.... Meant to put it in the one you linked me too ^^.
post #3100 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Run CMD as admin, post a screenshot of the CMD Window when you type this:
Code:
fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:

Still at work but will be able to post the screenshot in the next 40-50 minutes. :.)
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
Mugen (Retired)
(20 items)
 
Mugen 2
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Thermalright Silve Arrow (TY-140/TY-150) Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm Thermalright TY-150 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H MSI R7870 Hawk CORSAIR XMS3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Series SSD Samsung 830 Series SSD Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Black 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD-RW HL-DT-ST GSA-H60L Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm Phanteks 140mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2450 Microsoft Sidewinder x4 Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 650D RAZER DeathAdder Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 M-Audio AV30 Studio Monitors (upgrading soon) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs