Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 338

post #3371 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post


In your BIOS
Quote:
What benefit does the AHCI do? If I enable this setting before I install my ssd and I go to boot into my regular mechanical drive I can't. Why?
Read this: www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-7-installation

Right, so I just put ACHI instead of IDE.

Then when I restart it says no disks available.

System works great, works great. Though now the bios takes longer then the bootup, especially the ACHI bios post, and the verifying DMI Pool data screen/

Anyway to fix that?

Now I am getting black screen hangs after restarting my computer for windows update. It just hangs on a black screen...then all of a sudden it pops up with a configuring windows update with the blue screen at about 33 %

Try clearing your CMOS and update your BIOS if possible: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
post #3372 of 5384
Great guide, I'm finally getting an SSD so it's very useful for me.

One thing I wanted to ask about is whether I should have a static or dynamic-sized page file? (E.g. should I set a fixed size like 1024 MB, or a range like 128-1024 MB, or even let system manage it automatically). I always set it to 4 GB on my HDD since it's supposed to help avoid fragmentation, but I guess this isn't an issue with SSDs.
post #3373 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrew View Post

Great guide, I'm finally getting an SSD so it's very useful for me.

One thing I wanted to ask about is whether I should have a static or dynamic-sized page file? (E.g. should I set a fixed size like 1024 MB, or a range like 128-1024 MB, or even let system manage it automatically). I always set it to 4 GB on my HDD since it's supposed to help avoid fragmentation, but I guess this isn't an issue with SSDs.

I just set mine to static 512 min/max. I don't really know if it makes a difference or not having it dynamic.
post #3374 of 5384
I have mine set to 4096-4096 since I only have 4GB of RAM and sometimes D3 or SC2 will close it self when Im running both.
Nexus
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte Z87 G1 Sniper M5  2x Zotac 980Ti (Reference Design) Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz 4x4Gb (16Gb)... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M550 256Gb Corsair Force GT 240Gb Seagate 3TB 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftec H220X w/ GT-AP15  Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Samsung 32EH5000 32" HD Direct lit LED TV Ducky Shine 3 [Cherry MX Blue , White LED] 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster V1000 Corsair 350D Logitech G603 Puretrack Talent 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Digital Speaker 
  hide details  
Reply
Nexus
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte Z87 G1 Sniper M5  2x Zotac 980Ti (Reference Design) Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz 4x4Gb (16Gb)... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M550 256Gb Corsair Force GT 240Gb Seagate 3TB 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftec H220X w/ GT-AP15  Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Samsung 32EH5000 32" HD Direct lit LED TV Ducky Shine 3 [Cherry MX Blue , White LED] 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster V1000 Corsair 350D Logitech G603 Puretrack Talent 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Digital Speaker 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3375 of 5384
Quote:
Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 without the System Reserve Partition and 4K alignment:
Boot from your Windows 7 installation media.
After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
Type List Disk, press Enter.
Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
Type Clean, press Enter.
Type Convert MBR, press Enter.
Type Create Partition Primary Align=4096, press Enter.
Type Format Quick FS=NTFS, press Enter.
Type Exit, press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt window.
Click the "Next" button.
Click the "Install now" button.
Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
Click the partition.
Click the "Next" button.
From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

This is disrupting my installation of Windows 7 Upgrade.

To 'clean install' with the upgrade version of 7, you have to use the install trick - it won't let you use the key the first time you install on the new HDD - you have to install once without the key and then re-install and this time is accepts the key. Manually partitioning with 4k alignment as per the above instructions, it never accepts the key. Why is this?

And what is the point of this:
Quote:
Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 with the System Reserve Partition:
Boot from your Windows 7 installation media.
After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
Type List Disk, press Enter.
Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
Type Clean, press Enter.
Type Convert MBR, press Enter.
Type Exit, press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt window.

Click the "Next" button.
Click the "Install now" button.
Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
Select the partition and click "Drive options (advanced)"
Click "New" and then click the "Apply" button. Two partitions should appear. Click the bottom partition.
Click the "OK" button and then click the "Next" button.
From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

Aren't those steps redundant? Won't it use MBR automatically anyway? In fact, when I included those steps I ended up with this:

HxJtW.jpg

Also, why don't you mention the 4k alignment thing when keeping the System Reserved Partition?
Edited by Oubadah - 7/8/12 at 11:42pm
Skylake I
(10 items)
 
Skylake II
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 
CaseAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (+3x NF-S12A FLX) Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 
Case
Silverstone Fortress FT02 (+4x NF-A14 PWM) 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake I
(10 items)
 
Skylake II
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 
CaseAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (+3x NF-S12A FLX) Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 
Case
Silverstone Fortress FT02 (+4x NF-A14 PWM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3376 of 5384
I installed W7 64-bit on Intel 330 SSD. My PC is running Intel i5-3550 3.3GHz with 8Gb 1600 RAM.

From the moment it starts loading BIOS (when I see the completely dark screen and hear the beep sound) until the very moment I see the Windows desktop (immediately after the "Welcome" screen), it takes 22 seconds (12 seconds if boot up in Safe Mode). Using Windows Event Viewer, it says my boot time is 35 seconds and shutdown time is 2.1 seconds.

I still find 22 seconds too long.

I actually re-installed W7 a few times due to some errors. I remember after the first installation, it took less than 12 seconds to load. Now I cannot get that anymore even when no other software is installed. It seems that it is taking too long at the Windows Welcome screen.

I followed the installation procedure in the first post and went through all the other advice.
Edited by mrlawrencelam - 7/9/12 at 2:28am
post #3377 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlZ View Post

I have mine set to 4096-4096 since I only have 4GB of RAM and sometimes D3 or SC2 will close it self when Im running both.
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Quote:
Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 without the System Reserve Partition and 4K alignment:
Boot from your Windows 7 installation media.
After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
Type List Disk, press Enter.
Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
Type Clean, press Enter.
Type Convert MBR, press Enter.
Type Create Partition Primary Align=4096, press Enter.
Type Format Quick FS=NTFS, press Enter.
Type Exit, press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt window.
Click the "Next" button.
Click the "Install now" button.
Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
Click the partition.
Click the "Next" button.
From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

This is disrupting my installation of Windows 7 Upgrade.

To 'clean install' with the upgrade version of 7, you have to use the install trick - it won't let you use the key the first time you install on the new HDD - you have to install once without the key and then re-install and this time is accepts the key. Manually partitioning with 4k alignment as per the above instructions, it never accepts the key. Why is this?
What? This is for a straight up clean install, no upgrade. I never have done any upgrade myself so I can not help with that. frown.gif

As for the key not being accepted you may need to put in the original key then the upgrade key or something I think i heard before...not sure.
Quote:
And what is the point of this:
Quote:
Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 with the System Reserve Partition:
Boot from your Windows 7 installation media.
After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
Type List Disk, press Enter.
Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
Type Clean, press Enter.
Type Convert MBR, press Enter.
Type Exit, press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt window.

Click the "Next" button.
Click the "Install now" button.
Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
Select the partition and click "Drive options (advanced)"
Click "New" and then click the "Apply" button. Two partitions should appear. Click the bottom partition.
Click the "OK" button and then click the "Next" button.
From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

Aren't those steps redundant? Won't it use MBR automatically anyway? In fact, when I included those steps I ended up with this:

HxJtW.jpg
What's redundant? I put the extra MBR command there for people who have GPT drives so hey will not have an issue.

You apparently did something wrong as there should only be the system reserve and data partition. redface.gif
Quote:
Also, why don't you mention the 4k alignment thing when keeping the System Reserved Partition?
I don't know if you can. i've tried before with MBR formatted drvies and I was unable to manually create the system reserve partition lol. If you could tell me the command I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlawrencelam View Post

I installed W7 64-bit on Intel 330 SSD. My PC is running Intel i5-3550 3.3GHz with 8Gb 1600 RAM.

From the moment it starts loading BIOS (when I see the completely dark screen and hear the beep sound) until the very moment I see the Windows desktop (immediately after the "Welcome" screen), it takes 22 seconds (12 seconds if boot up in Safe Mode). Using Windows Event Viewer, it says my boot time is 35 seconds and shutdown time is 2.1 seconds.

I still find 22 seconds too long.

I actually re-installed W7 a few times due to some errors. I remember after the first installation, it took less than 12 seconds to load. Now I cannot get that anymore even when no other software is installed. It seems that it is taking too long at the Windows Welcome screen.

I followed the installation procedure in the first post and went through all the other advice.
Any USB devices plugged into the system besides the keyboard and mouse?
post #3378 of 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

What? This is for a straight up clean install, no upgrade. I never have done any upgrade myself so I can not help with that. frown.gif
As for the key not being accepted you may need to put in the original key then the upgrade key or something I think i heard before...not sure.

You can still do a full clean install with upgrade media/key. Anyway, never mind, I just installed it the usual GUI way without 4k alignment.

I'll be surprised if no-one else has encountered this issue trying to do 4k with upgrade key. I don't know of many people who fork out for the retail OS when the upgrade version is a fraction of the price. Also, the heavily discounted copies you get from universities etc. seem to be mostly upgrades too.

You see the upgrade key only works if it sees an existing version of Windows on the drive - I don't know how it detects it, and you can start a clean install just fine, but there has to have been a version already installed. So if you buy a new drive, all you have to do is install the upgrade on it once without the key (it will complete the install in 'trial' mode), and then re-install it again with the key. It's just to trick it. The second install is still a clean install, and you can format over the first install via the installer's GUI. However your 4K aligned format method was removing whatever the installer looks for to tell it that a version of Windows was already present before it, and thus my key kept getting rejected.

Whatever it was, it wasn't hidden in the System reserved partition, because I can delete and format over that via the GUI, and the trick still works.
Skylake I
(10 items)
 
Skylake II
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 
CaseAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (+3x NF-S12A FLX) Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 
Case
Silverstone Fortress FT02 (+4x NF-A14 PWM) 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake I
(10 items)
 
Skylake II
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 
CaseAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (+3x NF-S12A FLX) Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare F23a Corsair LPX 32GB CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512GB Noctua NH-U12S (+NF-S12A PWM) Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1/Windows 10 Pro x64 EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 
Case
Silverstone Fortress FT02 (+4x NF-A14 PWM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3379 of 5384
Quote:
Any USB devices plugged into the system besides the keyboard and mouse?
I only have a wireless mouse, keyboard and WiFi receiver that use USB.
post #3380 of 5384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

What? This is for a straight up clean install, no upgrade. I never have done any upgrade myself so I can not help with that. frown.gif
As for the key not being accepted you may need to put in the original key then the upgrade key or something I think i heard before...not sure.

You can still do a full clean install with upgrade media/key. Anyway, never mind, I just installed it the usual GUI way without 4k alignment.

I'll be surprised if no-one else has encountered this issue trying to do 4k with upgrade key. I don't know of many people who fork out for the retail OS when the upgrade version is a fraction of the price. Also, the heavily discounted copies you get from universities etc. seem to be mostly upgrades too.

You see the upgrade key only works if it sees an existing version of Windows on the drive - I don't know how it detects it, and you can start a clean install just fine, but there has to have been a version already installed. So if you buy a new drive, all you have to do is install the upgrade on it once without the key (it will complete the install in 'trial' mode), and then re-install it again with the key. It's just to trick it. The second install is still a clean install, and you can format over the first install via the installer's GUI. However your 4K aligned format method was removing whatever the installer looks for to tell it that a version of Windows was already present before it, and thus my key kept getting rejected.

Whatever it was, it wasn't hidden in the System reserved partition, because I can delete and format over that via the GUI, and the trick still works.

I got my Windows 7 Pro retail from my university free. biggrin.gif

And it makes sense that it kept rejecting it as when you run the clean command all data on the drive is wiped virtually. There would be no trace of any partition system.

The GUI probably has a tool built in to detect it or something as dispart does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlawrencelam View Post

Quote:
Any USB devices plugged into the system besides the keyboard and mouse?
I only have a wireless mouse, keyboard and WiFi receiver that use USB.
Try unplugging the USB wifi receiver.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs